h2g2 Post 02.12.04

3 Conversations

Birthday banner by Jimster


Posted: 2nd December 2004


 

(Almost) Five and still going!

This time five years ago I was still an instrumental teacher, comparatively new to computers and the internet and living in England. I hadn't really written much since my schooldays - apart from reports, the occasional note to the milkman and a 10,000 word dissertation which we won't go into. Yet there I was, sitting behind a screen, busily checking grammar, spelling and punctuation. My GuideML was rudimentary, but that wasn't a problem as we were going to host this newspaper offsite and Pastey put in all the html coding. We had eager volunteers lined up; an artist to design some graphics, a cartoonist who said he'd have a go at a few pieces topical to h2g2, writers and editors. Would it all come together? Would we ever take that final step and actually publish? The answer, of course, was yes.

So here we are five years on. In that time we have moved offsite to onsite, lost everything in Rupert and put it all back again and created an estimated 5,775 pages to host our articles and archives. We played with first one, then two and now four different skins, worked under an ever expanding, then decreasing, italic crew and adapted to different rules and coding. We mourned for DNA and The Twin Towers, played pranks on April Fool's Day and enjoyed Meeting you all. We've featured upwards of 450 cartoons, boggled your brains with quizzes and competitions (many contrived by the devious brain of Greebo T Cat) and travelled the world with you. We've hosted book, film, dvd, tv and comic reviews and featured plenty of home-grown fiction and poetry. Yet, we think, we have remained sporting throughout and none of it would have been possible without our regular and previous contributors.

So a big thank you to everyone who has ever contributed to our Post and thank you, our readers. Without you - and the feedback you provide - we'd have probably packed away our quills long ago.
smiley - bubbly Champagne or smiley - cake anyone?

PS: There's still plenty of time to take part in the Poetry Competition. We have some wonderful entries but would still welcome more.

ShazzPRME - RIP Prince Bernhard

 
 
FICTION
 
 
 
 
CARTOONS
 
 
 
 
REGULARS
 
 

  • 45 Words

  • The Post - First Published 6 December
    1999


 
FEATURES
 
 
 
h2g2 NEWS
 
 

  • WOTeva

  • Up to the minute teen newsletter


Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A3089045

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Credits

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more