The Black Riders in Tolkien's The 'Lord of the Rings' were hooded figures in black robes who rode on black horses.
Sir John Moores was born in Manchester, but spent most of his working life in the city of Liverpool. He is perhaps most well known as the founder of the Littlewoods catalogue and chain stores, but also established the Littlewoods Football Pools and various other enterprises.
Newest Edited Entries
- The Nazgul, Tolkien's Black Riders18th July 2016
- Sir John Moores - 20th Century Entrepreneur18th July 2016
- 'Peter's Friends' - the Film11th July 2016
- The Man Mo Temple, Sheung Wan, Hong Kong, China11th July 2016
- James VI of Scotland Inherits the English Throne14th July 2016
- Speedy Salmon and Broccoli Pasta14th July 2016
- Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Star Trek Sex, but Were Afraid to Ask a Trekkie5th July 2016
- A Canal Walk - the Corbally Naas Branch of Ireland's Grand Canal4th July 2016
- Port Sunlight River Park, Wirral, UK13th July 2016
- Fate, Faith, and Phrenology: Fanny Crosby Meets George Combe7th July 2016
- A87875383 - Illegal Aliens in the US - A History of Keeping Out the Riff-Raff Yesterday
- A87874942 - RSPB Burton Mere Wetlands, Wirral, UK 4 Days Ago
- A87862963 - 'Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles' - the Television Series 4 Days Ago
- A87875194 - Dark Nebulae 5 Days Ago
- A87842000 - The Stewarts V. Charles Stewart At The Court Of Spain Last Week
This week, the h2g2 Post invites you to be zen, like our contributors. Catch a summer breeze. Read the latest in old science fiction. Find out who among us has had a brush with fame. Find out what's on at the cinema, and why that cat is lying on its back. This may be more difficult than the sound of one hand clapping.
1 Hour Ago
"A collaborative guide, one that was written and kept up to date by the people who used it, in real time, might be a neat idea. I just didn't really realise that such a thing might be possible in my lifetime or how powerful such a thing might be."
A place to share knowledge and celebrate the things you love by writing about them
We have the first snowflake. Now let's build a blizzard
h2g2 founder Douglas Adams
"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."