h2g2 Post 13.09.01

0 Conversations


Posted: 13th September 2001

Yet again I find myself sitting here and trying to write what can only be a small expression of the way I, and countless other h2g2 researchers, feel after the recent events in the USA

I am commenting purely from the standpoint of a fellow human being. I do not intend to comment on the political situation nor the possible ramifications .

From the moment I turned on CNN, purely by chance whilst re-tuning my television, I watched, horrified, as the whole scenario was played out for the world to see. I tried to convince myself that it was a terrible accident... a problem with the aircraft's radar... but knew it was far more then that when I clearly saw a second plane bank and aim straight for the second tower. What final thoughts must those passengers have had? Not only had they been subjected to hijacking, but must have also realised the implications of the imminent crash, death for themselves and for countless others. I could only sit, transfixed, hoping, praying, that the people trapped in the twin towers would be, could be, rescued.

These hopes were soon dashed when first one, then the second tower collapsed, killing and maiming not only those who seconds before had been waving towels from the windows to indicate that they were still alive, but also the courageous police and fire-fighters desperately trying to effect an escape route. Prior to the collapse I saw tiny figures, in their total panic or anguish, throw themselves from impossible heights to certain death. Perhaps they decided that this was a better option than being burnt to death.

More reports filtered through; another plane down, one crashed into the Pentagon. More innocent victims, this time those who were either travelling or going about their normal day-to-day business.

There have been atrocities all over the world resulting in the lose of life. There have been natural disasters... floods, famine, earthquakes, volcanoes. The loss of any human life is sad, especially for those left behind. Taking of one human life by another is unbelievable, taking thousands of human lives is almost too much to conceive.

Whatever your politics, whatever your creed, take a few minutes to think of those who have lost members of their family or friends. A Condolance thread has been set up off the Talk Page for you to express your thoughts. Titania has an established page here where you can go to find peace and light a candle and John the Gardener has set up a special section at his Obituaries page.


shazzPRME













  • The Post Office


The home of the h2g2 Post team


Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A619300

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more