Leasowe Lighthouse was built in 1763 and was in use until 1908 as a 'leading light' enabling ships to navigate the entrance to the River Mersey.
It's a biggish bird. It struts around your yard, bullying the smaller birds. It knows it's descended from dinosaurs. It's noisy. The bird in the photo is a Common Grackle.
Author: Dmitri Gheorgheni
For some of us, September is the start of the new school year. Seeing the school children making their way to school brings back memories, and it is easy to grumble: 'School was harder in my day.' Do you remember school uniforms, leather satchels and desks arranged in straight lines? Were there chalkboards and ink in wells, or computers with sophisticated graphics? Was your school in a log cabin/tent/yurt/Quonset hut, or was it a deluxe layout with a natatorium? Were there metal detectors or just disapproving hall monitors?
Tell us about your schooldays.
September 2021 Create Challenge: Back to School
Newest Edited Entries
- The Fugitive: How a Fictional Character on the Run Taught Us Empathy and Civil Courage20th September 2021
- The Ultimate Laika Animated Film Guide: 2009-201920th September 2021
- Roald Dahl Films: 1960-197913th September 2021
- Quantum Entanglement for Bird-Brains: Insights into Avian Migration13th September 2021
- How To Make Another Cat Toy6th September 2021
- Mary East aka James How - a Female Husband6th September 2021
- Posthumous Fame: The Story of Hope the Blue Whale11th September 2021
- Little Egrets - Elegant Members of the Heron Family11th September 2021
- Ben Franklin v Counterfeiters: A Tale of Money and Science30th August 2021
- Hilbre Islands, Wirral, UK30th August 2021
- A88020687 - 'At Last the 1948 Show' - the 1967 Television Series 4 Hours Ago
- A88026708 - 'The Watch' - the Television Series 11 Hours Ago
- A88022261 - 'Do Not Adjust Your Set' - the Television Series 17 Hours Ago
- A88016899 - 'Ripping Yarns' - the Television Series 18 Hours Ago
- A653005 - Franz Joseph Haydn, 1732-1809 3 Days Ago
The world around us is full of light and dark: joy and sorrow, mishaps and miracles. It can get you down sometimes. Still, Researchers make the best of it, knowing that neither the Vogon Fleet nor the Great White Handkerchief have yet made an appearance. In the meantime, we've got a job: to record what we can find. To add to our store of knowledge about Life, the Universe, and Everything. The mice expect no less.
Sorry, this service is unavailable
"A collaborative guide, one that was written and kept up to date by the people who used it, in real time, might be a neat idea. I just didn't really realise that such a thing might be possible in my lifetime or how powerful such a thing might be."
A place to share knowledge and celebrate the things you love by writing about them
We have the first snowflake. Now let's build a blizzard
h2g2 founder Douglas Adams
"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."