FrontPage Archive - March 2008

0 Conversations

[Prev]part of an unofficial archive of h2g2 front pages[Next]

3 March 2008

A tap in action.How to Fit a Replacement Tap Washer - Top-notch DIY advice here; just remember to switch off the water supply before you start.

The Face Mite - An unnerving Entry looking at those microscopic 'friends' that crawl all over your face when you're asleep.


® How to Play Open Mic Nights - The first step that many musicians take; this Entry contains plenty of excellent advice.

QOTD: What is the little loop for that you find on lots of men's shirts?

4 March 2008

A two pence coin, quite often used for settling disputes in the United Kingdom.Coin Flipping: Conflict Resolution on the Cheap - Humorous look at an age-old method of settling disputes.

Romanos Diogenes and the Loss of Anatolia - Part of a wonderful series of very well-written Entries on Byzantium.


® Dr John Rae - Arctic explorer who discovered the route of the fabled Northwest Passage and mapped out much of the Canadian Arctic.

QOTD: I find it strange that a stuffed squirrel or something can have a quantifiable effect on exam results

5 March 2008

A close-up of a slice of fresh kiwifruit.Kiwifruit - Not everybody's favourite fruit but these 'Chinese gooseberries' are absolutely jam-packed with goodness.

Star Constellations: Aquarius 'the Water Carrier' - An ancient constellation that is most prominent during the autumn months.


® Crohn's Disease - A considerate and useful Entry on a much misunderstood and stigmatised condition.

QOTD: Sunday roasts baffle me. They must be the most god-awful way of cooking a joint of meat and spuds.

6 March 2008

John Bird.John Bird MBE - Humanitarian, activist and founder of The Big Issue, Bird is dedicated to social equality.

Yo-Yo Ma - Born in Paris to Chinese parents, the sublimely gifted Yo-Yo Ma is one of the greatest cellists of our time.


® Mushrooms that Kill Humans - It's a very good idea to be cautious around wild mushrooms, as this rather troubling Entry illustrates.

QOTD: Various synonyms for 'Thingy' …
Thingummajig
Wotsit
Whatchamacallit

Doobrie
Doohickie

7 March 2008

The h2g2 University, department of History.

Comprehensive set of Entries on Hadrian's Wall built by the Romans across the width of England to keep out the Pictish tribes of the
North:

A History of the Edge of an Empire - Overview of the Roman Wall.

A Journey Along Hadrian's Wall - Detailed route along the way.

The Staffordshire Moorlands Patera - A great archaeological find.

The Western Defences - Often overlooked part of the Wall's route.

North of Hadrian's Wall - Forts and camps beyond the Wall.

QOTD: As I was falling asleep last night I suddenly started thinking about my childhood toys. No idea why.

10 March 2008

A model biplane complete with rigging.Further Tips For Beginners to Plastic Model Making - Some more very handy hints and tips for aspiring model makers.

The Death Star - The ultimate iconic weapon of the Star Wars universe, playing a major role in two of the films.


® How a Pump Works - Pumps are machines designed to add energy to fluids and this clever little Entry shows you just how they work.

QOTD: I remember my parents showing me my first hieroglyphics on a papyrus scroll.

11 March 2008

The legendary Pinky (right) and Perky (left).Pinky and Perky - These twin boys were true showbiz pigs and they entertained the UK and beyond from 1957 until 1973.

The Coventry Martyrs - Harrowing story of those who chose to suffer indignities and torture rather than renounce their faith.


® Microbes - While they can be of great benefit, micro-organisms can also do great harm being the sole cause of all infectious disease.

QOTD: Something needs to be done other than saying "Something needs to be done".

12 March 2008

A cashier holds a five-pound note prior to inserting it in a till.Checkout: A Job in the Retail World - This is not a bad job to have, although it can be monotonous, and is typically not very well paid.

Helen Keller - A look at the life of an American woman who demonstrated that disabilities needn't limit a person's potential.


® Jodrell Bank, Cheshire - The brainchild of a World War II radar technician, it was the largest full sky radio telescope of its time.

QOTD: It consisted of a little robot figure with a pointer that you put on this mirror thing in the middle. There was a magnet underneath the different cards you could put round it, with various categories of knowledge with answers.

13 March 2008

Sean Connery as Alexander the Great.Alexander the Great - The conqueror of the Persian Empire and widely considered one of the greatest military geniuses ever.

Riverdance - This worldwide phenomenon started life as a seven-minute interval act during the 1994 Eurovision Song Contest in Dublin.


® Diana Ross - One of the most successful female singers of all time, she was Billboard magazine's 'Female Entertainer of the 20th Century'.

QOTD: Has anyone done an anlysis of the incidence of Croc-owners graphed against Coldplay-album-owners?

14 March 2008

The h2g2 University badge representing the faculty of Social Sciences.

Excellent set of Entries on the wide range of accents and dialects found across the pond:

Regional Dialects of the US - An expanse of linguistic variety.
The South - A drawl that can be seen to represent a slower pace of life.
New York - A much parodied and often badly impersonated accent.
New England - One of the most easily recognisable US accents.
Philly Talk and Pittsburghese - Relatively close but very different.
The Midwest - It's travelled far beyond its original boundaries.
Chicago Dialect - Catalyst of a vowel shift 600 miles to its east.

QOTD: My family are big fans of Laphroaig, but often refer to it as "Large Frog".

17 March 2008

Cornish clotted cream, part of a traditional English cream tea.Clotted Cream - A vital ingredient of the famous cream tea and probably the best-known delicacy of Devon and Cornwall.

Constellations: an Overview - Excellent, clearly-written general introduction to the visible stars in the 'celestial sphere'.


® The Trombone - Used in brass bands and orchestras, its name is Italian and literally means 'big trumpet'.

QOTD: On a pack of Cadbury's chocolate Animal Biscuits: "Do not eat if seal is broken" (and he was)

18 March 2008

Journalist Allan Little shaving in Sierra Leone.Hot Towel Shaving - A gentleman's guide to a rare pleasure in a world obsessed with health and safety.

The Other Ten Commandments - These are sometimes called the 'Ritual Decalogue' to distinguish them from the 'Ethical Decalogue'.


® Gout - In the Middle Ages it was described as a disease of the overweight, wealthy and middle-aged man.

QOTD: how many remote controls do you have?

19 March 2008

A violin bow resting on the strings of a violin.The Violin Bow - You can pluck a violin's strings, but a bow in the right hands can make it sound beautiful; in the wrong hands, however....

Cigar Store Indians - One of the earliest American trades was in tobacco, first introduced to settlers by Native American Indians.


® Stonehenge - A megalithic stone circle and a national treasure that has the power to stir even the hardest of hearts.

QOTD: Being married to a librarian, however, has meant that I have suffered a certain number of lectures.

20 March 2008

An Egyptian two-horse chariot would have looked like this.Chariot Racing - This ancient sport is mentioned in several Greek myths, such as the story of Pelops, son of Tantalus.

Big Bad Voodoo Daddy: the Band - They make swing sounds but look the part as well, in zoot suits, pinstripes, fedoras and wide ties.


® Notifiable Infectious Diseases in the UK - Their occurrence is required by the law of the country to be reported to the appropriate authority.

QOTD: I've entirely forgotten how to eat Hot Cross Buns, though its not the first time I've had a cake crisis involving forgetting how to eat.

25 March 2008

A German Shepherd dog.Positive Reinforcement and Clicker Training - The art of this lies in the observational and timing skills of the trainer.

The Winter Triangle - This asterism comprises the stars Sirius, Procyon and Betelgeuse.


® Bertold Brecht - According to Epic Theatre, rather than live or 'be' the character, an actor must become a representation of that person.

QOTD: Who came up with the idea of making laminated bookmarks? They're always slippy, and fall out.

26 March 2008

Petra, Jordan.Petra, Jordan - This UNESCO World Heritage Site is located in the Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan, between Wadi Rum and the Dead Sea.

Constellations: Cepheus 'the King' - A northern constellation featuring in the 48 constellations originally listed by Ptolemy.


® Planograms - An introduction to a simple tool which tells shopkeepers what to put on their shelves and where.

QOTD: [Squirrels] don't sleep, they're too evil to sleep. Sleep would get in the way of their plan to take over the plannet and make us slaves to do their bidding.

27 March 2008

Bill Oddie, OBE.Bill Oddie, OBE - In the 1970s he enjoyed huge fame in The Goodies but is now a wildlife presenter and conservationist.

Triangulum 'the Triangle' - This small constellation has three main stars which would form an isosceles triangle shape if joined up.


® Ninja - It tends to conjure up images either of black-clad assassins or of anthropomorphic turtles: but what is it really?

QOTD: As for fairytale names... Rapunzel was named after a kind of salad

28 March 2008

Bodyguards surrounding President George W Bush at RAF Brize Norton.Celebrity Bodyguards - It's the must-have accessory for all aspirant 'celebs', a bodyguard to protect you (and make you look important).

Constellations: Centaurus 'the Centaur' - No fanciful mythology here, but mystery remains surrounding the history of its origin.


® Knockers: Their Role in Cornish Folklore - It's not what you think! It actually concerns tin miners and mysterious, kindly spirits.

QOTD: my dog comes down the stairs rather in the fashion of controlled falling than 'walking'.

31 March 2008

A kitchen.How To Calculate The Speed Of Light In Your Kitchen - You'll need a microwave oven, a plate, some cheese, a grater and a ruler.

Centaurus 'the Centaur' - At over 1,000 square degrees this constellation is the ninth largest overall.


® Charles Wesley - He was just as involved and instrumental in spreading the Methodist movement as his brother, John.

QOTD: Do you believe that explaining nature takes the beauty out of it … ?

[Prev][Index][Next]

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A32938266

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

References

h2g2 Entries

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more