Yo-Yo Ma - Cellist Content from the guide to life, the universe and everything

Yo-Yo Ma - Cellist

0 Conversations

One of the greatest cellists of our time, Yo-Yo Ma has performed extensively both as a soloist and with many other artists, including renowned jazz violinist Stephane Grappelli, classical pianist Emanuel Ax and composer/conductor, Leonard Bernstein.

Early Years

Ma was born in Paris on 7 October 1955, to Chinese parents. His mother, Marina Lu, was a singer, and his father, Hiao-Tsuin Ma, a conductor and composer. He started to play the cello at four years old after previously trying both violin and viola. His family moved to New York when he was seven, making Ma one of very few French-Chinese-American musicians.

After moving to New York, he was quickly recognized as an extremely gifted musician and child prodigy. He attended the Juilliard School from 1962, studying under Leonard Rose. Ma later attended Harvard University to expand his education, and graduated with a liberal arts BA degree in 1976, but he was inspired to become a professional cellist by his love of the music of Pablo Casals.

Ma married Jill Hornor, his long time girlfriend in 1978, and they have two children, Nicholas and Emily.

Recordings and Repertoire

Ma has recorded a wide range of repertoire, from the Bach Cello Suites and other classical works1, including all the major cello concertos and sonatas, to the soundtrack of the movie Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon. He enjoys collaborating with other artists such as Kayhan Kalhor, Ton Koopman, Bobby McFerrin, Edgar Meyer, Mark Morris, Mark O'Connor, Kathryn Stott, Wu Man and David Zinman, and is keen to extend musical boundaries. His musical interests are diverse, as is shown from his collaboration with Edgar Meyer and Mark O'Connor into Appalachian music, to his exploration of native Chinese music and the music of the Kalahari bush people in Africa.

Silk Road Project

Besides playing concerts, Ma participates in many festivals and workshops with students. His most famous project began in 1992 when he established the large-scale Silk Road project, in which he involved many musicians in a vision to bring together artists and audiences around the globe to 'connect the world's neighbourhoods'. It takes its inspiration from the cultural traditions of the historic Silk Road which crossed many nations from East to West, and it aims to promote innovation and learning through the arts.

Awards

In 1978, aged only 22, he received the Avery Fisher Prize2. He was also awarded an honorary doctorate in Musical Arts from Princeton in 1991, and in 1999 he was awarded the Glenn Gould prize3.

Ma has won many Grammy awards for his playing, including 'Best Instrumental Soloist' for his Bach suites, in 1985.

Instruments

Yo-Yo Ma plays a Montagnana cello made in Venice in 1733, and the 1712 Davidoff Stradivarius previously owned by Jacqueline Du Pré. He also owns a Luis and Clark Carbon Fibre Cello.

Ma continues to perform in concerts around the world, and details of his schedule can be found on his website.

1The term 'classical' here is used to describe the genre of Western art music, and not as a period within this genre.2Awarded to American musicians for outstanding achievement in classical music.3This is awarded every third year to a living individual in recognition of their contribution to music and communication.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Edited Entry

A31549755

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry

Categorised In:


Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more