The h2g2 Essex Researchers Group

29 Conversations

Weald Park in Brentwood, Essex.
Brentwood
Cream teaA deckchair on a beach by the water's edge.

Welcome
to the h2g2 Essex Researchers Group's Homepage...smiley - bubbly

Please take a seat and help yourself to a cream tea and scones, with cream and jam, while you browse the page. There's all sorts of information here. There was so much, some had to be put on another page. Once you've finished browsing here, you may like to take a look at Essex - Bits'n'Pieces.

Fancy line break

Did you know

An East Saxon King

Essex was formerly known as East Saxon, and the Saxons' main weapon, the seaxe (a short curved sword), was later used on the Essex Coat of Arms

Pitch your tent here

Colchester, formerly known as Camulodunum is the oldest recorded town in the UK. Colchester has a delightful (though slightly noisy due to traffic) campsite, with rabbits running wild on the site. You would've thought that would make Colchester Essex's county town - wrong, that title goes to Chelmsford, it's been Essex's county town since the 13th century.

The 1.33 mile pier at Southend is the longest pleasure pier in the world. The pier has been the victim of fire a few times since it was built in 1830. As if the long walk to the end wasn't agony enough, you actually have to pay to walk along the pier (or at least you did in 2005).

So you think you know Essex eh? Try this quiz, see how much you really know.

Name Dropping

Douglas Adams

Various celebrities have connections to Essex; some were born here, while others have rather tenuous connections. Douglas Adams, founder of h2g2, attended a school in Brentwood. Actor Nick Berry, best known as 'Wicksy' in Eastenders, born in Woodford and Singer/Songwriter, Billy Bragg, born in Barking, were Essex boys at the time of their birth. However, due to boundary changes, Woodford and Barking are no longer part of Essex. Amanda Tapping of Stargate SG-1 fame, was born in Benfleet. Other Essex Girls include singer/songwriter Alison Moyet, who was born in Billericay, and author, Martina Cole is from Aveley, Thurrock.


Fancy line break

Essex Information

Essex has several radio Stations, some of which you can listen live to, including Essex FM.

Elan, the Essex library service is online, which means you can reserve books, (a free service) or renew your current books online, providing that you have your card's number and password.

The BBC 'Where I Live' Essex has some useful information.

Essex Annual Events

The following are just some of the events that take place in Essex every year.

Air Shows

Southend Air show 2011 is on Sunday 29th and Bank Holiday Monday 30th May.

Clacton Airshow 2011 is on Thursday 25th August and Friday 26th August. (Find out when the airshow is in your part of the UK).

Agricultural Shows

The Orsett Show in Thurrock, is held on the first Saturday in September each year.

Tendring hundred show this year is on Saturday 29th July.

Essex Country Show 2011 - 25th Anniversary at Barleylands, Billericay, is on Saturday 10th and Sunday 11th September.

Animals

All About Dogs, Brentwood cancelled in 2009

Miscellaneous

Hedingham Castle situated in the village of Castle Hedingham, near Colchester has various events throughout most of the year.

Horndon-on-the-Hill - Feast & Fayre is held on the last Weekend in June, Saturday 25rd and Sunday 26th June. Incorporating Horndon's 10k Road Race, held on the Sunday.

The 'Mad' Maldon Mud Race the next chance to get muddy is 25th April 2011.

Music

Brightlingsea Free Music Festival will be held in August on Friday 5th (Classical), Saturday 6th (Roots & Blues) and Sunday 7th (Jazz & World).

V FESTIVAL 2011 is being held on Saturday 20th and Sunday 21st August, at Hylands Park, Chelmsford.

Fancy line break
Fancy line break

Essex Related Edited Entries

Amstrad CPC Home ComputersBar 'n' Bus Trust, Essex, UKBrentwood, Essex, UKChelmsford, Essex, UKColchester, Essex, England, UKColchester Camping and Caravan Park, Essex, UKEast Saxon KingsEpping Forest, London and Essex, UKEssex, England, UK'Essex Girls'Essex Men Who Built the United StatesHarwich, Essex, UKHorndon-on-the-Hill, Essex, UKLee Valley Country Park, EssexMersea Island, Essex, UKThe Commander The Earl Of EssexSouthend-on-Sea, Essex, UKSouth Woodham Ferrers, Essex, UKStansted Airport, Essex, UKStreet Names in South Woodham FerrersThe Thames River Crossings at DartfordWaltham Abbey, Essex, UKWickford, Essex, UK

Essex Researchers

Not all of the following were born in Essex, some are just lucky enough to live there smiley - winkeye.


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A1099794

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written by

Credits

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more