h2g2 Post 14.04.05

1 Conversation


Posted: 14th April 2005


 

A Land of Contrasts

It seems that we have seen the best and the worst of Italy these last few days. The funeral of Pope John Paul was handled in an efficient and calm manner considering the thousands of people all jostling for room. Christian values were forgotten, however, as rival football fans from the same city, Milan, clashed and Juventas supporters offered bricks, bats and angry placards in place of an olive branch to the visiting Liverpool team. For a country which encompasses The Vatican and professes a strong catholic following this is certainly a worrying trend.

In the UK the wedding between Charles and Camilla occured without much fuss and very little pomp. There were a handful of demonstrators who would probably like to see Diana, Princess of Wales canonised alongside Pope John Paul II but, in the main, the general populace appear to have either forgiven Charles and Camilla or find the whole thing disinteresting.

The big news here on h2g2 is the introduction of the h2g2 Mobile Service. Those of you lucky enough to have an all-singing, all-dancing phone can now really check The Guide whilst on the move. The countdown is on for the Hitchhiker's film - just two weeks to go for you lucky people in the UK!

Congratulations to tonsil revenge who publishes edition 100 of his Escape Pod Dreams column in this issue. The Features section has a very strong h2g2 bent as four items examine aspects of this site. Three deal with Peer Review and are well worth a read and the fourth is a plea for assistance. Beeblefish is working on a PhD in Communications and is writing a paper on Internet communities and ownership issues. He really needs your input as he hopes to use h2g2 as the main source of his dissertation.

ShazzPRME


 
 
FEATURES
 
 

 

 
FICTION
 
 

  • The h2g2 Poem

  • 'Lauren and Donna and Frances and Chloe' by sitting on the stair


 
 
 
CARTOONS
 
 
REGULARS
 
 

 

 

h2g2 NEWS
 
 
  • The Post
    Office


The home of the h2g2 Post team

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A3820844

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Credits

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more