Escape Pod Dreams - 101

0 Conversations

Escape Pod Dreams, the 1905 Issue, party of... I forget...

The New New blob

The pilgrimage to view the Pope's body and attend the homily is a signal note to me that people really haven't been paying attention. Sheep and other ruminants herd together only when humans force them to. Elephants and other creatures apparently like to bunch together for protection from the predators, who gather in hunting parties when they need to in order to bring down a smorgasbord-sized meal. But Millions of people crowding together for one purpose, even thousands, is a disaster waiting to happen. In fact, the disaster may be the gathering itself. Any time humans sacrifice individuality in order to celebrate the uniqueness of an individual, then the 'cult of personality' has overwhelmed all 'common sense'.

It is possible to have too many people in one place at one time, also. Just ask the sanitary engineers and disease control people in Mecca or Washington, DC. Scheduled mob behaviour is an opportunity for pickpockets, hotelliers, tax officials and souvenir hawkers to clean up, while the sheep get to go home with a few photos, a t-shirt, some beads and a new debt on their credit card. Meanwhile, the people who actually live in the venue are picking up the pieces of their lives or just continuing to starve...

If you can't celebrate a great man's death without making a small man's life miserable, then you've probably missed the point of the great man's life.

I'm not going to say anything about the recently deadified Pope's life except that I thought, from what little I know about him, that he worked his butt off. There was nothing lazy about that man. All these noises about making him a saint make me sick. He was not a saint. He was a hard-working fellow who has gone to his well-deserved rest. Leave his spirit in peace now... because you certainly didn't while he was alive.

The New New blob

More reasons why I get to attend group therapy by remote linkup:

1. 8:57 AM
1905 Catholic stuff

by
Your Other Right Foot (appearing nightly without warning)

2. 9:57 AM
more 1905 Catholic stuff

by
Your Other Right Foot (appearing nightly without warning)

3. 10:57 AM
still more 1905 Catholic stuff

by
Your Other Right Foot (appearing nightly without warning)

4. 11:57 AM
way too much more 1905 Catholic stuff
by
Your Other Right Foot (appearing nightly without warning)

The New New blob

The Escape Pod Dreams Archive

(tonsil revenge)

14.04.05 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A3892962

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more