The X-Philes - Sing Me An Old Fashioned Song 4

0 Conversations

Andy Tyler's House, Washington DC - Later

Karen Frost pulls up to the house a little nervous about what she's needed for. She gets out and knocks on the door which is opened by Scully.

'Hi Karen come on in.' she says.

'What's going on Agent Scully?' Karen asks.

'Well this is the house of your old friend, Andy Tyler. The other members of your old college band have died in unusual ways and we want to bring you both up to speed on it.' Scully replies. Karen's eyes widen and she takes a step back.

'And we're next on this maniac's list?' she says fearfully.

'Could possibly be.' Scully puts an arm around Karen's shoulder. 'Come and say hi to Andy.' They walk into Andy's living room and Karen breaks into a big smile as Andy comes over to hug her.

'Hey, how have you been? I see you sold out and went to work for 'The Man' and here was me thinking you went back to England.' he says.

'I did for a while but dad saw an opportunity for me at the bureau and I took it.' she replies smiling.

'This reunion is touching,' says Doggett 'but we need to establish why your bandmates are being killed. Maybe Karen can fill us in on a few things while you finish off your story.' Andy nods and carries on.

'When Carol left the band we auditioned for a new singer. Karen came and we hired her on the spot.' he says.

'You said something about a contest.' says Scully. He nods and carries on.

'Yeah, it was a battle of the bands kinda thing run by a national music paper. We got into the finals in New York. We won, chose to appear at the Newport Folk Festival and we even met Joan Baez.' he says. Karen carries on.

'Carol was there that night, too, presenting the prizes. It was her first big night out as a pop princess - a big photo opportunity. I'm telling you, if looks could have killed when it was announced we'd won, I'd be six foot under.' she says. Scully notices how confident she is becoming. It must be Andy's influence. She'd noticed how Andy had put Karen at ease.

'Jealousy?' asks Scully. Karen shrugs.

'Could be.' replies Andy. 'Carol was never very gracious about acknowledging other peoples talent, especially as everyone was talking about Karen that night.'

'What happened after Carol died? Did anyone threaten revenge for what happened?' asks Doggett.

'Well Carol's sister, Caitlin, did blame us for her death. She said we'd let her down, ignored the pleas for help. I did get one call from Carol a few years after; a drunken tirade about how we'd eclipsed her star at the talent show, how all the press had found out that she was in the band but left to find fame, how we'd ignored her attempts to reunite the band. We'd all gone our separate ways by then but Carol kept calling and laying the blame for all her problems at our door. We got together at Carol's funeral, played a number at the service, then Caitlin started laying into us saying we'd all pay for what we'd done to Carol, that Carol would have her revenge. We just thought it was grief talking. Carol and Cait were twins so they were extreamly close. I never took her seriously - not until now, anyway.' says Andy.

'Why didn't you say anything about Caitlin's threats?' blusters Scully.

'I thought it was all said in the heat of the moment. Caitlin was very upset when Carol died.' he replies.

'I know this is going to sound odd, but does Caitlin practise... um... voodoo?' Doggett asks hesitantly. Andy looks surprised.

'Cait... voodoo... why for gods sake?' Andy blusters. Scully takes over.

'Well certain information about the deaths of your friends was kept from the press. There were certain ritualistic items found at the scenes which we have since found to be used in voodoo ceremonies.' she says.

'You're nuts!' retorts Andy. 'Are you seriously asking me to believe that Caitlin has conjured up some voodoo boogyman to get her revenge on us?' Scully shrugs.

'Looks like it.' she replies.

'You're nuts!' Andy repeats.

'Don't be so quick to dismiss them, Andy. I've heard stories about some of their cases that'll give you nightmares for years.' says Karen.

'Never mind. Whether you believe us or not we need to get you to a safe house. Scully, take Karen back to her place to pack. I'll keep an eye out here.' says Doggett.

Karen's Apartment

Karen is packing a suitcase and Scully is helping.

'So what happens now?' asks Karen.

'We'll send you and Andy out of the area and do our best to catch
whoever's been doing this.' replies Scully smiling. 'You know you've changed a little since you met up with Andy again. You're a little more
confident.' Karen blushes.

'I had a crush on him but he already had a girlfriend so I didn't make a move. He always had time for me and my problems, though. He helped me a lot with the shyness.' she says. Scully smiles again and goes to get things from the bathroom.

'Do you really think Carol's sister has anything to do with this?' she calls to Scully.

'I really don't know but according to Monica, you know, Agent Reyes, this is definatly Voodoo based.' Scully replies.

'So you think Carol's sister has called up some bad guy voodoo god to get rid of the band for what she thinks they did to Carol?' asks Karen.

'Or she paid someone to do it.' replies Scully. 'Voodoo practioners make a good living from it.'

Andy Tyler's House

Andy brings a suitcase, a holdall and his guitar case down the stairs and loads them into the car.

'Are you serious about Caitlin putting the voodoo hebejebies on us?' he asks Doggett.

'That's where the evidence is pointing.' Doggett replies.

'Do you really believe in all this? I thought you guys dealt in hard facts not ghoulies and ghosties.' Andy says. Doggett thinks hard before
answering.

'Yes, I guess I do, now. When I first joined the X Files, that's what our department's called - anything unexplained goes to us - I thought it was just an outlet for Agent Mulder's obssesion and paranoia. Agent Mulder was Scully's original partner. He blasted away at the FBI hierachy and they gave him an office in the basement to investigate anything unusual. Anyway, the more cases I worked on the more things I saw that couldn't be explained so, yes, there are things out there that cannot be explained in black and white.' he says.

'And you think this is one of them!' Andy remarks. Doggett nods.

'We had a case earlier this year which had a Voodoo tinge to it.' he
replies. Andy has been thinking while Doggett's been talking.

'You know, thinking about it now, Caitlin did live in New Orleans for a while. We obviously didn't keep in contact after Carol's death but she did say that was where she was living at the time and she did say that CAROL would get even, not herself. What do you think?' he asks.

'I think we should get out of here as soon as possible.' says Doggett as Scully and Karen pull up outside...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The X-Philes Series Archive

Reefgirl

14.04.05 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A3893790

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more