h2g2 Post 14.02.2000

0 Conversations


Posted: 14th February 2000

Welcome to edition 10 of the Post.

Are you all ready for Valentines Day... or is it a load of hogwash instigated by the greetings card industry? The tradition seems to have been around for some time, although it was kept far more private than now. The Victorian's appeared to have the correct idea and made the celebration a very personal one... the ladies pouring all their emotion into samplers and sewn cards, and the gentlemen purchasing small items of jewellery or writing long, involved, love poems. These tokens of affection would then be tied with red ribbon or wrapped in tissue paper and put in a place of safety for posterity. Even now, when old houses are demolished or altered, these keepsakes are re-discovered, and they are nearly always indicative of a tragic end to the romance. I cannot imagine many lover's bothering to keep the ready-made cards which flood the market today!

In your Post today, we have yet another scandal brewing. The Virtual Mayor of London(h2g2) has been getting into a spot of bother over at the Church of the True Brownie! What was that line again... *No-one expects the Spanish Inquisition?*. Whatever the outcome, Ms. Fenchurch is still more interesting than the real-life candidates and, as her personal advisor, I am just a little worried that I may well be dragged into the proceedings.

Enough of this...you have a paper to read! Please do give
us feedback and send any articles/news items of interest in to the
Post for consideration.

shazzPRME

  • 1-2-1

  • Here he is, the one, the only, Wowbagger. Our cartoonist.

  • Take 5

  • The pick of this week's batch of new Guide entries.

  • Agony Aunt

  • h2g2 is not a 'normal' community, it doesn't have 'normal' problems, therefore a 'normal' Agony Aunt would be useless. Ours is far from 'normal'.

  • h2g2 Life



  • Here's the next installment, and more interactive computing.

  • Shakespeare in Love



  • Clever chap was Shakespeare. Here's what he had to say on the subject of love.

  • Be My Valentine

  • Here they are, your messages to the special one in your life.

  • Week In, Week Out


  • A cynical look at current affairs brought to us by an h2g2 researcher.

  • The Rambling Misfits

  • Rumour has it that the Official h2g2 Softball Team may be about to play. But is there any truth to the rumour?

  • The Think Tank


  • A central point to exchange ideas on articles. Whether you're
    writing a future Guide entry and want some help with spelling, grammar
    or content, or you have a few moments to spare and wish to proof read
    for a fellow researcher, this is the place.


Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A474798

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Credits

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more