Shakespeare in Love

1 Conversation

As a tribute to St. Valentines Day I have read the Complete Works of Shakespeare, including the Sonnets, and picked out some quotes on the subject of love... amongst other things! What a wit, and imagination, that man had.

'As You Like It'


I can suck melancholy out of a song, as a weasel sucks eggs.

Men have died from time to time, and worms have eaten them, but not for love.

O coz, coz, coz, my pretty little coz, that thou dids't know how many fathoms deep I am in love!


'Henry Four... part 2'

Is it not strange that desire should so many years outlive performance.


'Henry Five'

Now all the youth of England are on fire, And silken dalliance in the wardrobe lies.


'Henry Six...part 1"

She's beautiful and therefore to be woo'd; She is a woman, therefore to be won.


'Henry Six... part 3'

O tiger's heart wrapped in a woman's hide!


'King Lear'

Let copulation thrive.


'Love's Labour's Lost'

Cuckoo, cuckoo, cuckoo; O word of fear, Unpleasing to a married ear.


'The Merchant of Venice'

Sometimes from her eyes I did receive fair speechless messages.


'A Midsummer Night's Dream'

The course of true love never did run smooth.

Love looks not with the eyes, but with the mind, And therefore is wing'd Cupid painted blind.


'Much Ado About Nothing'

Sigh no more, ladies, sigh no more, Men were deceivers ever.


'Othello'

Your daughter and the Moor are now Making the beast with two backs.

Excellent wretch. Perdition catch my soul. But I do love thee! And when I love thee not, Chaos is come again.


'Richard 3'

And therefore, since I cannot prove a lover, I am determined to prove a villian.


'Romeo and Juliet'

O swear not by the moon, the inconstant moon, That monthly changes in her circled orb Lest that thy love prove likewise variable.


'Titus Andronicus'

This is the monstruosity in love, lady,

That the will is infinite,

And the execution confined;

That the desire is boundless,

And the act a slave to limit!

There's a language in her eyes, her cheek, her lip,

Nay, her foot speaks.

Lechery, lechery; still wars and lechery: Nothing else holds fashion


'Twelfth Night'

If music be the food of love, play on; Give me excess of it, that,
surfeiting, The appetite may sicken, and so die.

Many a good hanging prevents a bad marriage.

Journeys end in lovers meeting, Every wise man's son doth know.


'The Sonnets'

Shall I compare thee to a summer's day? Thou art more lovely and more temperate. (18)

Let me not to the marriage of true minds Admit impediments. Love is not love Which alters when it alteration finds. (116)

Love's not Time's fool (116)

The expense of spirit in a waste of shame Is lust in action. (129)


Shazz


14.02.00. Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A501535

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written by

Credits

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more