A Conversation for Musicians Guild Membership Page

Join Here

Post 481

h2g2 Musicians Guild

Hello to Great Ceasars Ghost and Huffers smiley - smiley

Welcome to the Guild smiley - ok You'll find the membership badge at A434648 - wear it with pride!

And GCG... you leave Rocketman alone smiley - winkeye

smiley - cheers

Danny B.

Join Here

Post 482

Farlander

hello! i see that there's a community for musicians here. how lovely! may i join? (or do i have to get on my knees and grovel? smiley - smiley)

1. my main instrument is the piano (associate diploma; didn't have time to go further), and i was recently dragged out of retirement to become college pianist/accompanist for a third time. i also make a great deal of noise on the trombone (was once actually taught by kevin thompson! smiley - ok i play in my university band), and even more on the guitar and violin (i wanted an electric guitar; my folks said i made noise aplenty on an acoustic already)

2. i love classical music, grew up on a diet of it. mainly i love to play mozart (because i can't go wrong there), beethoven and schumann, but i will listen to just about anything except for johann strauss's waltzes (no offence to the strauss fans out there). i'm currently building a collection of vladimir ashkenazy and boris berezovsky cds (and i listen to russian music when i'm down in the dumps), but as i said, i'm open to just about anything. i listen to a great deal of swing music, especially glenn miller. oh, and i'm a big fan of the pet shop boys as well. smiley - winkeye

3. i don't really want or expect much, except for friends at h2g2 who also love music. (and those who will accept me for who i am - a trombone player who can't really be bothered about volume control)

i'm sorry if this sounds like self-advertisement.... i *did* try to trim it down a bit. and anyway, i'm pretty mediocre, so there you go.

Join Here

Post 483

Rt. Rev. Lesley Gentle

1) I play guitar, bass guitar, piano, harpsichord, tubular bells, percussion and drums. I also am a pretty decent scratch DJ and create a lot of music with my computer especially using Cubase and Steinberg B-Box. I used to do a bit of rap and breaking too! I have released a couple of EPs through a label owned by a star of the electronica (for want of a better word) scene. I play acoustic nights around London with just me and my guitar and also have a weekly residency in a nice little club in Shoreditch.

2) My tastes in music are eclectic to say the least, encompassing anything from Tom Waits, Squarepusher, Roots Manuva, Shibusashirazu Orchestra, Chris Bowden, Kraftwerk, Fog and Stevie Wonder. I have more than 5000 albums in my collection and am only 23 years old so I am saving up my money to buy a large barn to keep all my tunes in!

3) I don't know if there is anything I want from the musicians guild in particular, it would be cool to chat with other people who are passionate about the music they create or listen to.

Join Here

Post 484

Spartacus

I'm mainly a singer-songwriter. I play the guitar to a fiar standard, the drumkit again pretty well, and my current second obsession (behind the pairing of guitar and voice) is percussion. I just got myself a djembe (a kinda of african drum) which is SO damn cool - everybody should have one, and also a Badhron (is that how u spell it?) which is a traditional celtic drum, along with shakers and stuff - but its a recent thing there. Singing wise ive done loads and im making a demo at the moment (i compose, i have about 60 of my own songs).

Artist wise my favourite artist is Dave Matthews of the Dave Matthews Band - jazz-rock and beyond from the States - its genius stuff! Im into all the classic bands (floyd, led zep..), my biggest love so far has been the contemporary aware movement (bands like goo goo dolls, third eye blind, vertical horizon, matchbox 20) but just lately my nfluences have definitely been spreading - im really into the vocal styles of soul and funk, and mid-era jazz is ace!!

And the last question u asked me was what would i like from the guild! Well hopefully people of a roughly similar nature to mine (presumably into music in a not small way and also presumably polymorphic, or wide ranging in what they love and do - cos getting to this site requires, or at least it did to me, an interest in douglas adams, which is in manyt ways sci-fi, yet its also near to litereature, ie the arts, as is the fact this is a music group) phew am i ever writing a lot! Also i need places to play and people to meet in music - albeit net-meeting - im always looking for new influence an acquaintance!!

SO theres me!!

By the way - the name's Kev!

Kev
x-x-x

Join Here

Post 485

Go stick your head in a pig :@)

go on, Kev, give 'em the website as well smiley - biggrin

http://www.geocities.com/paddymolloy_99/smiley - spacesmiley - wowsmiley - run

Go stick your head in a pig :@)

Join Here

Post 486

h2g2 Musicians Guild

Hello to Kev, the Rev and Farlander smiley - smiley

Welcome to the Guild! The badge can be found at A434648 for you to decorate you personal space.

And don't worry about writing 'too much' - it's nice to be able to vet the sort of people I let in here smiley - winkeye

smiley - cheers

Danny B.

Join Here

Post 487

Farlander

thanks, danny! i'll see you guys around after i pin up my badge...

Join Here

Post 488

charliebaby

Oh dear, so many people wanting to join, is there room for me????smiley - smiley

1) I play piano, violin, recorder smiley - biggrin and guitar ( a bit). Grade 8 on first two and Grade 8 Theory. Ive also got a music degree

2) tastes in music... anything at all, especially rock, indie, film movie music. But not offspring!!! My boyf has driven me crazy in the past playing them all day long.. smiley - silly

3) I hope that by joining the exclusive smiley - ok Guild, im gonna meet fellow musicians and join in some interesting chat!! id also like to write some Guide entries about various musical things, and feel the Guild would be a great base for me on Hootoo!!!

Charlie

Join Here

Post 489

Atari - Tok'ra (With my symbiote Jullinar)

I want to join! I play bass, and I like a lot of stuff, too much to mention here. smiley - biggrin

Can I join?

Join Here

Post 490

TeaKay

I play guitar- any guitar, be it electric, acoustic or classical. I may not be the most accomplished musician, and I have no 'grades', but I'm enthusiastic. I would like to join/ form a band at some point with people who like similar stuff to me, which to be honest is quite wide- ranging.

My favourite band is Queen, but I also like many other bands and genres. My favourite genre has to be Glam rock- Bowie, Queen, Mott, T.Rex etc... I don't have much knowledge about the genre of classical music, but I certainly can appreciate it's musical qualities.

I think the Musicians Guild looks like a good place to meet and talk to some like minded people, that's my primary motivation for applying to join. Otherwise, I think it could be useful if I have any music- related questions, and I may even find like minded individuals to form a band or just jam with.

Join Here

Post 491

Atari - Tok'ra (With my symbiote Jullinar)

Hello?smiley - erm

Join Here

Post 492

Chiners

HI, another potential member here!

1.) My main instruments are voice (ex Cathedral head chorister) and Bass Trombone. Also play Trombone, Bass Trumpet, Piano and Bass Guitar. Sad isn't it!??! Play orchestral, Big Band and Ska most of the time!

2.) Again, bizarre music tastes. From Vittoria, Purcell, Mozart, Wagner and Gorecki in "classical", to JJ Johnson, Brubeck and Liane Carroll in Jazz, to Coldplay, Stereophonics, Norah Jones and The Coral
in pop!!

3.) The whole thing just looks like a jolly good idea to me!

Join Here

Post 493

Danny B

Hello... smiley - smiley

Sorry for the delay - I've been away for a week. I will enrol everyone into the Guild, but first I'd better go and catch up with my real life smiley - erm

smiley - cheers

Danny B.

Join Here

Post 494

h2g2 Musicians Guild

Right...

Hello to:

charliebaby
Atari
Temporal Bandit
Chiners

Welcome to the Guild. You'll find the membership badge at A434648.

Have fun!

smiley - cheers

Danny B.

Join Here

Post 495

TeaKay

Woohoo! Thanks!

Join Here

Post 496

charliebaby

smiley - biggrinsmiley - biggrinsmiley - biggrinsmiley - biggrinsmiley - cake

Join Here

Post 497

Cati Bach

I play flute, piccolo and pennywhistle well - bodhrun badly (it's the Significant Other's really). Can't sing to save my life - the Ma says I can't carry a tune in a bucket. But I like to try. Three chord trick on guitar.

Styles? Light classics (play in a Concert Band), folk - especially Welsh (you may have guessed from the name) and Manx - and the 'pops'.

Favourite composer/artist varies with what mood I'm in. Today is a Copeland day. Yesterday was The Whistlebinkies. I can't abide Elvis.

smiley - blackcat

Join Here

Post 498

dugdog <a.k.a. - corla planktun...buffer of the tiny ruby>

sign me up - as you will see from my space...

1.I play guitar (well), banjo (limited), mandolin (good and getting better), bodhran (good, but slightly rusty these days), didj (very good - so I'm told), and I have a celtic harp that needs re-stringing for me to begin to be able to play more than the bag-puss theme tune.

2. There is a list of collection highlights at my space, but I guess what I'm really into is the moments in music where genres meet, the frisson of fusion.

3. I'll let you know....

Join Here

Post 499

rev. paperboy (god is an iron)

The Rev. Paperboy at your service, genties and ladlemen, I have at time been monetarily recompensed for my alleged talents on the blues harp. I have sung in rock and blues bands - Most noteably the legendary Blind Salmon Spewship. I am also a three-chord wonder on the acoustic six string and can hack out a reasonable rhythm groove on an electric axe.
I like any and all blues, especially traditional delta and early chicago stuff. I like most jazz, especially bebop, cool and early fusion. 60's and 70's rock especially psychelic stuff like Jefferson Airplane, the Grateful Dead, and Pink Floyd. I love old soul stuff and worship Ray Charles. Above all else tho, I dig singer-songwriters in the folk genre and consider his holiness Bob Dylan to be the main cat, the top dog, the primo bandito----if you can't take the way he sings, you got no ears!

What do i want from the guild? communication, nay communion even, with likeminded individuals and assorted cats and jammers

Join Here

Post 500

h2g2 Musicians Guild

And a big hello to...

Cati Bach
dugdog
rev. paperboy

Welcome to the Guild! smiley - smiley You'll find the membership badge at A434648.

Have fun

smiley - cheers

Danny B.

Key: Complain about this post