Announcements

0 Conversations


Meets

  • Scottish Towel Day

    Us Scottish researchers are having a bit of a meet this Saturday - 10th May - in Edinburgh to celebrate Towel Day. We'll be meeting in the Standing Order on George Street between 12 and 1 - more details on This Page.

  • Central US Researchers Group

    If you live around the Chicago area, have some time free around the 17-18 MAY 2003 then why not head off and meet a like minded group of your fellow h2g2er's. To find out more details, check out
    this conversation on the Central US Researchers Group homepage.

  • h2g2 Official Summer Party
    28th June, 2003 is the provisional date for the h2g2 Official Summer Party. More details next week!

  • Proposed Paris Meet

    There has been an idea to do a meetup to romantic Paris on the
    25-27th July 2003. This entry is to gather together ideas and see what kind of interest there is.

  • Gilroy Garlic Festival Meet

    Where:Gilroy, Calafornia.

    When: July 25-27, 2003.

    If you are in the neighbourhood and would like to meet up with others from h2g2 and beyond, then take a look at the Gilroy Garlic Festival Meet main page and find out all about it.

  • 2nd annual South West Meet - Spring/Summer 2003

    OK, as the 2002 South West meet was such fun some of us thought we'd like to do it all again. So what are we going to do next year? When? Where? Post your thoughts over at The discussion page

  • AT'03

    In the very early stages of planning the Alton Towers Meet 2003 is proposed for sometime in September. To find out more or to put your name down to go or show interest, then pop along to the meet homepage, and read all about it.

  • Luxembourg Mini-Meet

    There's not much information about this Mini-Meet at the moment, but what there is you can find out at the Luxembourg Mini-Meet homepage. The date is set for sometime in October, so if you live nearby, and you have some spare time in October, then this might be worth checking out.



The Canadian Researchers Club

Here's something to interest all Canadians on h2g2, you now have your own club which can be found here at the The Canadian h2g2 Researchers homepage.

Only recently opened to researchers of the Guide, this new club hopes to be the focus of all Canadians on h2g2. So why not drop by and enjoy the relaxed atmosphere, some pleasant company and great food and drink. What more could you want.

Spell Checker

This page has been set up for researchers who don't have access to a spell checker, and need to know how to spell a word/s (and grammar, if required) for a Guide Entry, or for any other reason. (Although spelling is not that important in conversation threads)

We have a willing and able team of fellow researchers just waiting to sort out all your questions and queries at the Spell Checker homepage where all your spelling and grammatical needs will be answered.

h2g2 Society of Time Travellers

'As you walk amongst the cold granite pillars, you notice the faces of hundreds of old clocks and compasses hung on hooks all around. Everyone is travelling through time, but it requires a lot of instruments to navigate different directions or speeds from everyone else.'

Want to learn more and if you have the time to spare then take a look at the h2g2 Society of Time Travellers.

The Campaign to Promote Respect for
Microbes

Microorganisms just aren't getting the respect or appreciation they deserve anymore... It is easy to say, hey, that microbe looks useful, let's use it to make alcohol. It's even easier to say, look, we've got this really bad bug and we're going to have to get rid of it. But where is the respect?

If you feel the same, or have something to say on the subject, then pop along to The Campaign Headquarters where you will find like minded people to share your passion with or just go there and find out about this fascinating subject.

The Young Researchers Club

This club is for anyone under the age of 18, no proof of age required, birth records are not something you need to produce. But if you would like to join with others of your age then pop along to the The Young Researchers Club here at h2g2, it's new and upcoming and needs members.

GuideML

A group of people are putting together what is intended to be the ultimate beginner's guide to GuideML. Interested authors, testers and critics should go to the GuideML Homepage to see what's been written, what's being written and to volunteer their services in this noble cause.

h2g2 Musicians' Guild

The Musicians' Guild is a virtual community for musicians, singers, composers, and other musical afficionados at h2g2.To join up, visit the Members Page

Guild member SpinksSecret is looking for assistance and feedback with a long-running music project. Pop along to this thread to offer your help.

The Underguide

We're in the planning stages for an unofficial volunteer project to promote high quality entries that don't fit the scope or format of the Edited Guide, such as fiction, poetry, interviews, personal accounts, opinion pieces, etc. The Italics have hinted that they might give
us exposure if we present an acceptable plan. For more info, join our email group at http://groups.msn.com/theh2g2underguide or read our Proposals for an Underguide Scheme.

The Sporkites

The Sporkites are a dedicated group of thingites who campaign for most thingite goals but with a few extras.

  1. We will campain to abolish weekdays ALTOGETHER (except thing, a weekly holiday) and leave only weekends, so Thing, Poets, Doobry and Dontbry go round in an endless cycle. Despite this, you may still refer to the cursed weekdays, but ONLY to avoid confusion.
  2. Our long, long, long term objective is to eventually beat out No!no!no!
  3. Two Sporks will be given to each member, and should be posted in
    conversations.
  4. All out sillyness past even the main body of thingites!

Uruk Fun Run

The Uruk-Hai are off to war. Soon Helm's Deep will be beseiged, and what better way to celebrate than an Uruk Fun Run!.

The Rules are easy. Sign yourself up as either a Good Guy or a Bad Guy, then choose your race:

  • Good Guys: Man of Gondor, Man of Rohan, High Elf, Wood Elf, Dwarf or Hobbit.
  • Bad Guys: Orc, Goblin (including Warg Riders) or Uruk-Hai.
The Bad Guys run around H2G2, plundering and pillaging as they go, the Good Guys must try to stop them. For the purposes of fun, please try to target Lord of The Rings based pages, or anything run by someone with a "Good Guy" name.

Which time zone are you in?

Sometimes I have trouble figuring out when some of my h2g2 friends can be expected to be online, since I keep forgetting which time zones they are in, and how many hours before or behind my zone that is. I plan to make a table listing the timezones and
researchers in each zone - but I need your help!


If you would like to help, then go to Which time zone are you in? and put your name down in one of the conversations.

The Wall

Write a message to the community on a brick and see it preserved for
posterity on the h2g2 Wall.
'Messages need to be quite short, and there is NO advertising, but you can choose your own colour.'

Wireless h2g2? inject2g2

'Are you missing h2g2 On The Move? Do you want to be able to use h2g2 on a wireless mobile device, like your phone or palm pilot? Then try inject2g2. This is a work in progress, which allows basic h2g2 use with minimal bandwidth.'

The H2G2 Guild of Wizards

Are you an expert on something or have you an ability that could help others? If the answer is yes, then why not register with The H2G2 Guild of Wizards. If the answer is no, but you need to find someone who can help you with a problem, then the Guild of Wizards may be able to help.

H2G2 Living Earth Society

The h2g2 Living Earth Society hopes that you will visit and join in discussions about all sorts of natural earth phenomena.

'This is an area where people with an interest in the forces affecting our home planet can come to discuss news items of interest, share their experiences, seek advice and read interesting guide entries related to natural phenomena on our planet.'.

The Post is happy to welcome the h2g2 Living Earth Society to its pages; you can read their first report here

PUDDING

Why not take a look at the People United in Defence of Depression, Irritability and Natural Grumpiness. It's a new society on h2g2, who believe it is alright to feel whatever you want to feel, be it happy or sad, it might even tempt you into joining.
'PUDDING does NOT celebrate or promote sadness, we simply demand our right to express natural emotions'.

The H2G2 Sprint

Have you ever wondered what it would be like to be a virtual racer, well here's your chance, visit The H2G2 Sprint and take up the challenge.

'It's just a bit of fun to explore the possibilities of virtual racing around a virtual track. The idea is to complete the H2G2 sprint track in the shortest time.'



Special Sites at this time



Links

  • The new, improved Post Links Page
    points you towards the best of h2g2. Everything from information and

    campaigns to

    eating and drinking venues, virtual lands or clubs.

  • The Post Archives are a repository for all

    things

    Post related... now revamped and divided into easy-to-follow categories, they

    are ever

    expanding and well worth a visit!


All entries for this feature should be mailed to [email protected]


08.05.03 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A1044172

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more