A Conversation for Ask h2g2

What Films have you seen recently?

Post 6901

swl

Shoogly seats - http://youtu.be/CIjeboa_vzg

Post 6902

You can call me TC

My main images of Gerard Butler come from that rom com romp with Katherine Heigl, where he was ill and bloated for most of the shoot and definitely not very desirable at all. Am I missing something?

Post 6903

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

I'm waiting impatiently for "Epic" and "Hangover 3."

Post 6904

Sho - employed again!

he looked pretty tasty in Nimm's Island. And the pictures of him in that leather kilt thing with the sword are just smiley - drool...

Oh and in Coriolanus. Totally yummy smiley - drool

(sorry, I can't help myself)

Post 6905

Ferrettbadger. The Renegade Master

Just went to see Iron Man 3.

Really quite fun, immeasurably better than Numero 2. Shane Black a real good choice for director.

FB

Post 6906

HonestIago

It's really quite unsettling how me and FB seem to watch the same films at the same time and come out with a similar opinion. If I didn't know where FB lived, I'd suspect he was my best mate Cliff and he'd been keeping it secret.

Iron Man 3 was great fun. Far better than 2, on a par with 1, marginally better than Thor and Captain America. Really funny, some lovely moments of real depth and a kid actor who is actually amusing rather than annoying. Liked the links to the wider Marvel/Avengers universe.

One thing that caught me off balance was the number of people leaving as soon as the film ended: they must never have seen a Marvel/Avengers film before because there is always a post-credits scene and they all missed it. Shame because it was a particularly good one.

Post 6907

I don't think it's playing in my area yet.smiley - sadface

Post 6908

Heh heh!

And on the leaving thing it happened in my showing too. I personally thought the post credit scene was a hoot! The couple next to me complained.

I hear, on the grape vine, that a second extra scene will happen once it has opened in Murka. Hopefully YouTube will be my friend on that one!

FB

Post 6909

HonestIago

Just watched Source Code on Film4. It's such a sensationally good film.

Post 6910

You can call me TC

Post 6626...

smiley - popcorn I uncellophaned two DVD's I'd bought myself from the special offer shelves and watched them even though I wasn't doing the ironing.

Midnight in Paris - not as wacky as some Woody Allen films. Feel good. The scenes in the 20s could have been longer for me. The ending was smiley - cool

Looper - I thought the ending (careful: no spoilers) rather missed the mark. Some anachronisms just niggled at me the whole time. Joseph Gordon-Levitt looks exactly like Heath Ledger, but with dark hair.

Post 6911

"Source Code" was fantastic, I agree. Considering the grim [and sadly relevant] plot, it had a surprisingly upbeat ending.

Wednesday night I saw "Iron Man 3." I remember thinking "How did they ever shoot that?" during many a scene.

Tuesday night I saw "Mud." First-rate acting!

Post 6912

HonestIago

Just got back from Star Trek Into Darkness. Really enjoyed it, much better than the first JJ Abrams one (which I also enjoyed). Zachary Quinto is brilliant: there's times when you could convince yourself you were watching a young Leonard Nimoy.

The one quibble I have is that JJ Abrams has no subtlety and telegraphs his punches something ruthless. Was able to guess a critical plot point not long after the film started.

Post 6913

Sho - employed again!

Yesterday I watched The Lake House with Gruesome #1. It's not the first time we've watched it, and not the first time I've wanted to immediately fly to Chicago and do that walk. It looks like a beautiful city.

This evening we watched The Way with Martin Sheen, written and directed and produced and everything else by Emilio Estevez. It's lovely. Not oversentimental and it looks absolutely beautiful. I've had a hankering to do the Camino Santiago for a while now, and this really made me want to get my walking boots on and get out there.

Post 6914

Galaxy Babe - eclectic editor

watched Dark Skies last night. Was told it was sci-fi, but I thought it more like horror with aliens.

Last week we saw the Johnny Depp The Ninth Gate which I was told was rubbish but I rather enjoyed!

I can't wait for Trek. Hoping to get to see it this weeksmiley - zen

Post 6915

Trek is fabulous. Like Iago I thought it vwas about as subtle as a brick. But frankly I'm not watching for that.

As a fun, summer blockbuster popcorn movie it was pretty well faultless. I left my skecptical disbelief at the door and had as enjoyable a two hours at the cinema as I can remember in quite a while.

Wonder how the new director will do? I still think I'd love to see Kirk vs The Borg. And I think the destruction of Vulcan and the galactic realignment should allow that.

FB

Post 6916

P.S.

Hows about Benedict Cumberbatch is just in everything from now on. He is just amazing. I realise it would be a tough schedule for him to appear in every single TV show and film ever made, but c'mon it needs to happen. How is cloning technology coming on?

smiley - winkeye

FB

Post 6917

I've seen Cumberbatch in five movies.* He seems to be pretty versatile. He's been in a lot of other movies that I've never heard of before. Maybe they were never shown in my country. Maybe they only appeared in a few art house theaters. Whatever. Most UK television doesn't make it across the Atlantic.

*The Hobbit [Necromancer]
*War horse [Major Jamie Stewart]
*The other Boleyn girl [William Carey]
*Atonement [Paul Marshall]
*Amazing grace [William Pitt]

Post 6918

Beatrice

Just back from Trek.

Really disliked it in 3D, and some of the plot line was testing my albeit very picky pedantry.

It really was the battle of the blue eyes wasn't it? Cumberband was magificent, but Simon Pegg stole it for me.

Post 6919

You can call me TC

I remember Simon Pegg saying they were giving him more to do in the Trek film.

Or was it the next Mission Impossible?

Anyway, Hollywood seems to like him. Well done, Simon.

I could go and see the Star Trek film on Tuesday - it's on in original sound track/HD. Should I? I'm getting rather pedantic about plots, too. I find it incredible that some films are made, costing huge sums of money, and they have plots with holes like a fishing net.

Mind you, often these holes or wobbly bits of story-telling, are often cleared up when you watch the deleted scenes on the DVD, then you wonder why on earth that particular scene was deleted.

Post 6920

Sho - employed again!

We saw Iron Man 3 today. Loved it, totally mad film, but I enjoyed every minute. No thinking required (but oh my did I smiley - drool)

but one thing was missing. Where was all the AC/DC? smiley - cross

going to see Star Trek on Friday. Can't wait.

Key: Complain about this post