A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Petty Hates

Post 16861

Baron Grim

Yeah, pluralizing the word "individual" is almost self contradictory. It hints at suggestion rather than statement.

PH: The use of the phrase "a person of interest" when the term "suspect" is obviously appropriate. Even worse when it's not clear that the person is a suspect. The term is legally meaningless yet very damaging in its usage. Just ask Richard Jewell (the man falsely implicated in the 1996 Atlanta Olympics bombing).

Petty Hates

Post 16862

Icy North

According to the OED, the noun 'individual' has three senses.

It means 'a person (as distinct from a group)'; 'a person of a specified type or character' (often depreciative); or 'a distinctive or original person who doesn't conform to a stereotype'.

Context is everything.

Petty Hates

Post 16863

Icy North

PH #1: People who use the word 'times' when they mean 'multiply'

"Take that and then times it by 3..." smiley - hangover

Is it a cockney thing?

Petty Hates

Post 16864

Icy North

PH #2: Ice cream gluttons

Having a busy morning, I didn't get out to lunch until 2:30. It was sunny and warm. I fancied an ice cream.

At the Co-op I found the freezer, but a lady in front of me had a basket and was clearly getting them for her whole office. Basically she cleared out their entire stock. There was nothing left. Lady 20 Me 0.

Petty Hates

Post 16865

Sgt. Bluebottle's Lonely Hearts Club Band

Can't be a Cockney thing as we have times tables and the multiplication sign is ×.smiley - shrug

<BB<

Petty Hates

Post 16866

Baron Grim

How rude!

I may have mentioned this before, but I still hate it pettily.

Related to your PH #1, when people say something is X times LESS/SMALLER/QUIETER/SHORTER...

Is this just me? I understand what they mean. If someone says this amoeba is 1000 times smaller than a chihuahua, I get it.
But it's still not the way to say that. Mathematically, if you multiply something by a whole number larger than one, it cannot be, in any way, "less than". A penny is not 100 times less than a pound or a dollar. It is a hundredth of it. It is 0.01 times it.

This is getting way too common. It makes my brain itch. smiley - headhurts

Petty Hates

Post 16867

Baron Grim

smiley - simpost the ice cream horder was rude.

Petty Hates

Post 16868

SashaQ - happysad - Editor

Sorry Icy, that was my office that the icecream was needed for * smiley - blush I enjoyed mine smiley - biggrin

* not really, but we did have icecreams today...

Petty Hates

Post 16869

Teasswill

I popped into a Tesco local store & thought I might treat myself to an ice cream. Did my shopping, went past the freezer section - big tubs etc only. Went through the checkout, THEN noticed the ice lolly freezer by the door. Huh.

Still probably much better for me not to have one...

Petty Hates

Post 16870

Mr. X ---> Just can't seem to die.

"when people say something is X times LESS/SMALLER/QUIETER/SHORTER..."

"Is this just me?"

Yes. It's just you.

smiley - pirate

Petty Hates

Post 16871

Pink Paisley

No it isn't.

PP.

Petty Hates

Post 16872

Yes it is. smiley - tongueincheek

smiley - pirate

Petty Hates

Post 16873

Pink Paisley

It can't be. I can think of two of us off the top of my head!

PP.

Petty Hates

Post 16874

smiley - yikes So you're actually one person in two bodies!!

You must be great at party tricks. smiley - tongueout

smiley - pirate

Petty Hates

Post 16875

Baron Grim

smiley - laugh

Key: Complain about this post