A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Petty Hates

Post 17721

Bluebottle

We've ended up with superfluous calendars too, I'm assuming you don't want our spares…?
PH: Things being described as 'multi-purpose' or 'mixed purpose'. You can't buy plain paper without it being labelled as 'Multi-purpose plain paper' and as I was packing away our (fake) smiley - xmastree over the weekend I noticed the box was labelled '7ft Fir Indoor Use Only Mixed Purpose Christmas Tree'. How many purposes can you mix and match with a Christmas tree, eh? I suppose you could use it as a stage prop, say if you were doing a panto of 'Babes in the Wood' or 'Hansel and Gretel' and you needed trees for a woodland scene, and I've seen some people use little smiley - xmastree in bird cages for their budgies to sit on. But surely 'Christmas tree' is its purpose? What is mixed about it?

<BB<

Petty Hates

Post 17722

Caiman raptor elk - Yes, but what if the box is REALLY big?

Could also be a Yule tree, or a Festivus tree, or you could leave it till after Easter.

Petty Hates

Post 17723

The Left Reverend Doktor Baron Grim

Festivus has a pole, not a tree.

Petty Hates

Post 17724

Bluebottle

Well I know that in Turkey, a Muslim country, the smiley - xmastree is called a 'New Year Tree'. I'd argue that putting decorations on it at the end of the year regardless of whether it is called Yule, Christmas or New Year is the same purpose even if called something different. A smiley - rose by any other name would smell as sweet.

<BB<

Petty Hates

Post 17725

Rosa Baggins, (see LOTR appendix Hobbits Family trees for more information)

Conspiracy theorists who are climate change deniers who are trolling on the Met Office Tuesday YouTube live stream and believe that the world is cooling and that we're heading of a mini ice age as well as that there everyone is being lied to by big government and big business.

Key: Complain about this post

Petty Hates

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more