A Conversation for Ask h2g2

What Films have you seen recently?

Post 6861

Sho - employed again!

if you'd said she used to snog the face off him, then I would have been jealous. But I don't like children...

Post 6862

fords - number 1 all over heaven

She used to get a lot of inside info though smiley - bigeyes

Post 6863

Clive the flying ostrich: Amateur Polymath | Chief Heretic.

"if you'd said she used to snog the face off him, then I would have been jealous. But I don't like children..."

smiley - rofl

Post 6864

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

But these would have been Gerard Butler's children. The apple doesn't fall too far from the tree. smiley - smiley

Post 6865

Mol - on the new tablet

The Hunger Games - the day after I read the book, so it was all fresh in my mind. Excellent film and a really good book-to-film transfer. My daughters had told me the plot before I read the book (which is why I didn't read it or watch the film for so long) but although I did find it emotional, it wasn't unbearably distressing.

Mol

Post 6866

Sho - employed again!

I cried buckets in the film and the book. #1 didn't even blink. She is obvs heartless smiley - evilgrin

Post 6867

I saw "On the Road" yesterday. All the performances were great -- Garrett Lundgren as Dean Moriarty, Sam Riley as Sal Paradise, Tom Sturridge as Carlo Marx, etc. Sal is based on Kerouac, Carlo on Allen Ginsberg, and Dean on Neal Cassady. The events portrayed on the screen don't seem outrageous by today's standards, but in the late 1940s/early 1950s they were almost unthinkable by most of the American public.

Post 6868

Ferrettbadger. The Renegade Master

The Raid.

Whoa what an amazing, exciting, visceral film.

Not one for those who dont like violent cinema mind.

FB

Post 6869

Mol - on the new tablet

Airplane!

And you know, it's *still* funny smiley - biggrin *and* we got to share it with our daughters smiley - biggrin

Mol

Post 6870

The other night I saw "The Sapphires," based on a true story about four Australian girls who entertained the servicemen in Vietnam in the early 1970s. The girls came from aborigine stock, so when it came to time to shape their act, their manager tried to coax them away from the Country music they were singing. Since their skin was dark, he thought they should be singing soul music.

Post 6871

swl

Django Unchained. Loved it - some great performances, schlock violence and loads of lols

Post 6872

Clive the flying ostrich: Amateur Polymath | Chief Heretic.

"The Raid.

Whoa what an amazing, exciting, visceral film. "

Excellent, isn't it?

I've not seen action / fighting put onto film with such craft in ages.

It gets the golden popcorn kernel of excellence. smiley - popcorn

Post 6873

Geggs

Toy Story 3. Yes, I know I'm a few years late. And yes I cried at the end.

Geggs

Post 6874

I hope to see "Scary Movie" soon, but I'm too busy to see it this weekend.

Post 6875

Mol - on the new tablet

Only at the end, Geggs? smiley - winkeye It's the bit that they *think* is the end that I remember choking me up (still does it even now, just thinking about it). It was the expressions and the actions of the characters that did it, rather than the peril, and I'm still not sure how computer drawings of plastic toys can actually achieve that.

My film consumption is about to nosedive - not only is it smiley - shhh sunny, but Endeavour has started and we're still working through the Lewis backlog.

Mol

Post 6876

"My film consumption is about to nosedive" [Mol]

smiley - yikes How will you ever survive being cut off from movies? smiley - online2long

Post 6877

Sho - employed again!

same here - totally loving Endevour

Post 6878

fords - number 1 all over heaven

Last night I watched Hard Candy, about a girl who meets a paedophile on t'interwebs, goes back to his house and tortures the hell out of him. The way she executed the capture and mental torture was brilliant (the 'castration' scene being especially fraught) and strangely enough I actually found myself rooting for the bad guy at times. The ending was a bit flat, but the two main characters were fantastic in their roles.

Post 6879

"yikes"

I don't think I will be watching that one. smiley - ill

Post 6880

HonestIago

Was taken to see the Evil Dead remake this afternoon. I don't normally do horror/gore (my choice of film was Promised Land) but this wasn't too bad. I had to ask my mate if it was supposed to be a parody because I really couldn't tell. Fun enough though with some really nice touches: I suspect if you like this kind of film you'll get more out of it than I did.

Not a patch on Cabin in the Woods though.

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more