A Conversation for Ask h2g2

For those who have been shut out of h2g2 and managed to get back in again

Post 1

You can call me TC

(This is rather long-winded post, sorry. It's partly for my own records.)

So, how did you do it? I have always managed to log back in on any device and carry on merrily. But after a cache clear on my tablet I found I was logged out and couldn't log in again this time.

I tried resetting the password which produced the message "If you don't receive an email in the next hour please write to moderators at h2g2.com.

I wrote the following e-mail but haven't had a reply yet. (Mind you, I did write it on Friday and today is only Monday.)

***quote***
I have never had any trouble logging into the site although I know many have. (I used to find that changing to the Pliny skin, clicking on "sign in", then changing back to my comfy Ripley skin without even actually signing on, somehow magically worked.)

At the moment I can only post on h2g2 on my phone. After clearing the caches my laptop and tablet I have been cut off. All attempts to log back in have failed.

If I enter my login name and password, these are immediately wiped and I am told I need to accept the T&C. So I start filling in the form from the bottom and tick the T&C and the Captcha, but when I enter my name and password the form is deleted again, immediately, before I can even click "Login".

So in desperation I try "Reset password". Neither my login name, nor my on screen handle "You can call me TC", nor my e-mail address seem to be recognised.

I just get the text

"If we managed to locate you in our systems, we will have sent an email to the address on file. If you do not receive an email within 1 hour, please contact [email protected]"

I have not received an e-mail. And yes I did check my spam. My user number is U154942 and I have been a Researcher since 2000. I have always had this e-mail address. So I find it hard to believe that I can't be "located in your systems".

Should I get a new phone, which I probably will by the end of this year, I will be cut off for good from the site which has been part of my life for over 20 years, unless someone can tell me how to get back in!

***unquote***

Post 2

h2g2 Guide Editors

Hi TC

Sorry about this. I have seen the problem before with other users, and it is a strange one - you don't have cookie blockers on your tablet, do you?

Can you use an Incognito window in your internet browser to try logging in as before?

Good luck smiley - goodluck

SashaQ

Post 3

You can call me TC

I received your e-mail this evening and with its help have managed to get back in again. Thank you so much!

Post 4

You can call me TC

Just testing. I notice my name has reverted back to "Array". I hope that by posting again, it'll sort itself out.

Post 5

h2g2 Guide Editors

Yay! Well done moderators and TC smiley - biggrin

Post 6

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

smiley - applause

Post 7

Still Incognitas, Still Chairthingy, Still lurking, Still invisible, unnoticeable, missable, unseen, just haunting h2g2

Hello everyone.I've been back for some time but it has been a little flaky from time to time.smiley - erm

Post 8

Orcus

Hi folks, long time no see! I've been shut out for literally years and eventually gave up. Only today logging in (on my most ancient Mac) seems to have *actually* worked!

Good oh. Hope it continues as yes, I've been here is 1999!

Post 9

Baron Grim

Welcome back! smiley - bubbly

Post 10

Bald Bloke

Yay
Welcome Back smiley - ale

Post 11

Still Incognitas, Still Chairthingy, Still lurking, Still invisible, unnoticeable, missable, unseen, just haunting h2g2

Welcome back.

Post 12

Orcus

Thanks all, not much going on thought these really is there smiley - sadface

Post 13

Orcus

I never did learn to proof read my posts first did I smiley - laugh

...these days... though

Post 14

winnoch2 - Impostair Syndromair Extraordinaire

Indeed, I like the discipline that is required here to prof-reed properly smiley - winekeysmiley - winkeye rather than relying on an edit button.... which would've been nice to have but don't suppose that will ever happen now!

Post 15

2legs - Hey, babe, take a walk on the wild side...

I also seem to be back.. now if I can recall where I have been..

Post 16

winnoch2 - Impostair Syndromair Extraordinaire

2-legs is backsmiley - wow. Just let that sink in for a while (about a week in fact) smiley - zen

Post 17

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

Take care of yourself, 2Legs. God only made one of you. smiley - smiley

Post 18

2legs - Hey, babe, take a walk on the wild side...

I will try!

Post 19

Icy North

<< Just let that sink in for a while >>

I did, but it was followed by a shower and a bidet. I'm having trouble getting them to leave.

Post 20

MMF - Keeper of Mustelids, with added P.M.A., is now in a relationship.

I had the same problem TC. Been away for ages, it seems. Hadn't realised how long. I'd tried all my passwords, and tried the moderators but think they may have had an old email account. Finally managed it today, so yes, MMF is back to annoy you all.

paul:
>>Take care of yourself, 2Legs. God only made one of you.<<

Could we cope with two? I doubt it! smiley - winkeye

MMF

smiley - musicalnote

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more