A Conversation for Ask h2g2

What Films have you seen recently?

Post 2781

Steve K.

A question: I've never seen "Fight Club" (1999), but it is #32 on IMDB's top 250 list with a rating of 8.6/10. Yet the movie review books (Maltin and Martin/Porter) give it thumbs down/turkey. I've been looking for a rental but for some reason the local shops don't have it. What's with the wide difference in opinions? smiley - huh

Post 2782

Ferrettbadger. The Renegade Master

Hmmmm Fight Club is a bit of a marmite film I think. You are either going to love or loathe it.

What I dont think it can be described as though is a "turkey"... rent it. It is well worth a watch.

For my smiley - 2cents it was awsome!

Post 2783

Researcher U197087

And it didn't hurt to end on a Pixies song. smiley - biggrin

Post 2784

Beatrice

Watched the Joel Schumacher version of Phantom of the Opera last night. (one of the kids got it for Christmas)

I wasn't a Lloyd Weber fan before it - and I'm still unconverted! Gawd but it drags on a bit, don't it?

Post 2785

badger party tony party green party

Watched Bill Murray film the other night called "Rushmore" about a kid who goes to the school in the title. Not a lot goes on its a mildly funny film and meanders along a nice pace and I think I would have liked it a lot more if Id seen it wehn I was fifteen like the hero in the Film. I guess its a bit like "Catcher in the Rye" in a way.

I liked it worth it if you fancy something that's not all about exploding helicopters, valuptuous babes, teen/college gross out humour and square jawed, hunky heroes.

smiley - rainbow

Post 2786

Miz307

I watched Love Actually not long ago, had been meaning to since it came out, well now i have and a nice feel good Movie it was too smiley - love

Post 2787

Beatrice

Saw Mrs Henderson Presents on telly the other night - delightful.

And Barnyard yesterday at the cinema - didn't enjoy it at all.

Post 2788

Anoldgreymoonraker Free Tibet

Mr and mrs Smith film is on my tv in 10mins I will watch it smiley - smiley

Post 2789

Didn"t really enjoy it enjoyed much more the next film I watched I saw a cowboy comedy about 3 or 4 kids come grown ups go on a drive when they are grown up includes Norman a calf just cant find the film namesmiley - sadface

Post 2790

flakey-lady.... you lookin' at me punk?

arnold.. it wasn't CITY SLICKERS was it? billy crystal?

Post 2791

YEP it was smiley - erm

Post 2792

YEYsmiley - ok good fun film that....

Post 2793

Galaxy Babe - eclectic editor

I watched Mrs Henderson Presents toosmiley - ok

Been to see "The Holiday" at the smiley - seniorscreen today - nice feel-good Christmassy movie - dunno why Jack Black was teamed up with Kate Winslet but the coupling up of Jude Law and Cameron Diaz was inspired, smiley - ok

Post 2794

A Super Furry Animal

Last weekend I watched two films:

Perfume: very good, lots of atmosphericnessissity, grirt and dime, nekkidness, death and murder. All with a hint of scent. That's probably not describing it well. If you've read the book, you'll go see it. If you haven't read the book,you should go see it as well. Scrapes in at the last minute as one of my top 3 films of the year.

Déjà Vu*: So-so time-traveller-style thriller-type cop-thingy movie. Not bad, and includes Denzel Washington, but, frankly, too many time-cop paradoxes. Leave your brain at home and enjoy it.

RFsmiley - evilgrin

* ...and I'm sure I've seen this before...smiley - huh

Post 2795

we watched ADRIFT last night on dvd..it was ok, but very annoying like how stupid they were.. i wanted to slap them... smiley - grr very similar to OPEN WATER but had the extra hell of the boat being there for the taking all the time.. comfort and warmth only inches away....

tonight we've got YOU ME AND DUPREE a light hearted family comedy not expecting much!!!

Post 2796

Clive the flying ostrich: Amateur Polymath | Chief Heretic.

Just came back from A Night at the Museum. Amusing and funny but I am personally undecided if I prefer that or Jumanji. Also Ricky Gervais only seems to ever play Ricky Gervais. smiley - erm

Finaceé thought Mickey Rooney was dead, so this film came as quite a surprise to her. smiley - yikes

smiley - popcorn

Post 2797

psychocandy-moderation team leader

Just watched "Save the Green Planet!" on DVD. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0354668/

I don't know quite how to describe it. It was more than we expected (the Netflix synopsis led us to believe this was a sci-fi black comedy, but it's more than that). Some fairly graphic violence, but highly entertaining. smiley - ok

Post 2798

A Super Furry Animal

Last night I watched V For Vendetta, which had a good premise and although there were one or two plot inconsistencies, I thought was very good overall.

RFsmiley - evilgrin

Post 2799

Xanatic

I was watching the 1931 film Freaks by Tod Browning, the man who did Dracula. I remember it being quite scary when I was a child, especially the ending. But now it ends up being a bit more unwillingly comical. The film features actual freaks, such as bearded lady, arm- and legless man and microcephalics.

Post 2800

Ferrettbadger. The Renegade Master

So Steve K did you like "Fight Club"?

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more