A Conversation for Ask h2g2

**WOULD YOU LIKE YOUR PERSONAL SPACE LINKED TO FROM THE FRONT PAGE?**

Post 101

Researcher 815350

Hmm, I try and make my personal space *directly* accurate smiley - winkeye

The personal space of Galaxy Babe ( U128652 ) took 9 seconds to load for me, 2 meg. Broadband.

Is it all the smiley do-dads?

I only mention this, because if personal spaces are linked from the frontpage, and it takes “ages” for noobs to download pages, they might get the impression the site is a bit (way too) slow to use. Which is there loss, but folk are like that. smiley - erm

Yeah I'm being way to negative, and it is a “Aye” from me.

Picking up on the comment of Derek ( U7133953 ) about permissions, I wonder if a change to the OPTIONS WATCHING-USERS="1"/ tag would help, 'set another bit' (=”3”) to who are the 'faces' willing to be seen?

Post 102

Traveller in Time Reporting Bugs -o-o- Broken the chain of Pliny -o-o- Hired

Traveller in Time smiley - tit with a simple explanation
"Setting it to 0 would help.

Lists of Researchers, entries and the drop down lists make the page 'heavy' for the servers, the information to assemble the page has to come from all corners of HooToo. Each name on such list has to be requested seperately. That takes time. Using more then a moderate number of smilies and or images does take time too, they are less load for the server however (nowadays). "

Post 103

Researcher 815350

Setting it to 0 would mean "off" and you'd not see who thinks of you as worth being on such a list called 'friends' without telling you. smiley - winkeye Me I added you TiTsmiley - tit after I'd seen you'd added me.

Post 104

Traveller in Time smiley - tit studying his friends list
"Well thank you smiley - biggrin, I really did mean to 'switch it off' as far as I can see that is the big load of Personal Spaces.

As we have seen today, the servers do some caching smiley - smiley, after a page beeing loaded for the first time it does not take as long to load it again. "

Post 105

Galaxy Babe - eclectic editor

I've done a bit of trimming, but I'm not disabling my friends list, or getting rid of the drop-down list of Researchers I have met. I've removed most of the smileys and some of the BLOBs. But if we're going to trim our PS's, they won't be so interesting, will they?

Are all those home-made galaxy smileys taking up a lot of bandwidth, TiT?

Post 106

Traveller in Time smiley - tit on top
"Bandwidth yes, server time no.

I am not trying to say how your Personal Space should look, that is completely up to you smiley - ok. What we have seen (load times from several Researchers) the caching does a lot of good smiley - smiley.

Must have been a year ago 'Jim Lynn' unleashed the server software with the dynamic caching structure. Or was that longer ago with the infamous -1 new postings ? smiley - biggrin "

Post 107

Researcher 815350

Galaxy Babe: Same as TiTsmiley - tit I'm not trying to tell you how to do your space, no not at all, I mean once you request the download, go off make a brew, make some toast, nip to the corner shop for some jam, and get back, your page has just about loaded. smiley - rofl

9~15 seconds is not that bad.. Once you know it's worth the wait, but look at the <./>FrontPage</.> which this is all about...

It's "clean", it loads fast, and still manages to have content to read, and places to go.

What I was failing to say, there have been times when there is SMILEY failure anyway, they go tiny, and make h2g2 look "broken."

Better one of the pictures you'd choose, that show something of *you* than 10 stupid yellow dots? Even if they do make for punctuation.

It's a question, what if you saved your PS to a file, then stripped all the SMILEY tags out, see if you load under 10 seconds for all?

It was a smiley - geek question, I can't talk, I keep things to a minium, because I've not that much to say, and now think I should go back to being quiet for another four years.

smiley - lurk

Post 108

Galaxy Babe - eclectic editor

I did wonder about the galaxy substitute smileys, if *only* they would make a proper smiley - galaxy smiley, I could delete them, (I've only been asking for six years)smiley - sadface

I'll go through and delete some tomorrow. I could trim my friends list too, some of them have Elvisedsmiley - wah

I remember thesmiley - groan -1 postingssmiley - biggrinwas it really a year ago?smiley - yikes

**FRONT PAGE: Your opinion please!**

Post 109

You can call me TC

Aye

I don't mind people looking at my PS. It's there for everyone to find anyway. Mind you, I haven't re-arranged the furniture for about 3 years.

I find I click on people's PS's mainly if they have posted something interesting - i.e. directly from the posting.

What would be the criteria for choosing whose space is to be featured each day?

I just tried loading GB's space and counted up to 10 before the egg-timer vanished. But there was reading matter there at the count of three. The blobs took a bit longer.

Surely it wasn't that long ago with the -1 postings phenomenon?

Post 110

Effers;England.

I'd love you to feature my PS. It's very interesting in a sort of ironic way. Though many may think it dull and bare the genius few will appreciate its essential brilliance. smiley - winkeye

Post 111

Shea the Sarcastic

Aye, Aye, Cap'n! smiley - ok

Post 112

aka Bel - A87832164

Well, my PS doesn't look good if your browser is Firefox, and it hardly shows at all on a Mac from what I recall. smiley - erm

Post 113

Wand'rin star

You wouldn't bother linking to mine - it's deliberately been minimalized. This is just to say that it took less than 2 seconds to get Galaxy's full page from clicking on her name. I don't think anyone's any faster. smiley - starsmiley - star

Post 114

Cal - interim high priest of the Church of the Holy Tail

*doesn't read the blog*

Aye

Post 115

Traveller in Time smiley - tit browsing in FireFox
"'B'Elana', Nothing wrong viewed using FireFox. You may need some changes to get it all aligned in plain though smiley - ok "

Post 116

Rains - Wondering where time's going and why it's in so much of a hurry!

I'll say aye, but I don't think my page is very interesting...

Apart from it gives a tiny, tiny hint of just how smiley - weird I am smiley - biggrin.

I think it's quite a good idea, actually - and I'll freely admit that I used to check the FP once a week if that, and I'm now checking it a lot more often smiley - smiley.

Post 117

Geggs

It begins...

Milla, Mr Dreadful and TRiG are on the front page today!

Geggs

Post 118

lil ~ Auntie Giggles with added login ~ returned

Actually, they were on the Front Page yesterday afternoon, Geggs.. smiley - hug

Post 119

Geggs

They were? Well, I had a busy afternoon.smiley - run

Geggs

Post 120

lil ~ Auntie Giggles with added login ~ returned

We'll let you off then.. smiley - biggrin

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more