woohoo! i'm in that other forum too! smiley - cool
^. .^
= ' =
smiley - angelsmiley - choc
smiley - blackcatsmiley - cat

What's in a (nick)name?

Post 42

Honey³

Well, about the nickname : I know 'honey' is quite boring, and I don't intend to extend it with titles or whatever.
The use of 'Honey' started some years ago, when some of my best friends started to call me that way, only because I used it a lot to call THEM. Is this confusing?
Anyway, I think they use it to call me in kind of an ironic way, since I'm not sweet at all...smiley - smiley
There is alos another reasons : 'Honey Suckle Rose' is one of my fav. jazz standards. AND it's short.
About the ³ : as some of you might now, the letter 'h' in physics is Planck's constant and it is very important in Quantum physics. Therefore, h³ is a cube with Planck dimensions. There's a SF novel which I really loved (the Hyperion saga by Dan Simmons), which assumes that h³ is the basic cell for every material in the Universe.
... and this brings us back to the Hitchhiker's Guide...

I know it is kind of far-fetched...

What's in a (nick)name?

Post 43

Clelba

it's a cool name though, explanation or no explanation.
i sometimes think that names are better left unexplained. so i dunno what i'm doing in this forum... oh well, it's interesting.
^. .^
= ' =

What's in a (nick)name?

Post 44

MaW

Mine was quite a bit in the way of self-analysis really...

What's in a (nick)name?

Post 45

~ jwf ~ scribblo ergo sum

Hey now this is great. We are starting to question whether a nickname is an internal/personal/protective/secretive thingy or a public/flag-waving/attention-getting thingy.

If we know which approach a researcher uses, it tells us something about their personality ..or does it? smiley - erm

For example (I'm making this one up, hopefully there isn't one) 'The Grand Piano' would be a friendly extraverted type who wants to share a proud musical hobby or career. The name should attract musical friends. smiley - angel
And 'the-barbed-wire-of-death' might be someone named Barb in need of a lot of space and privacy. smiley - monster

Anyway, the page has turned, so it's time to promote Lucinda's article on the subject:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/h2g2/guide/A442333

What's in a (nick)name?

Post 46

Notquiteallhere - the Conversation Assassin

The name at the start of this message is a simple summing-up of my mental state. The name at the end of this message is because i'm lazy as well!

NQAH (abbreviated)

What's in a (nick)name?

Post 47

MaW

I don't understand this thing with posting your name at the end of a message. It's at the start of every single one, after all. I only do it when I want to make a particular point, emphasising 'titles' perhaps, or mentioning ones that aren't displayed proudly next to my nickname, or pretending to be someone else or a me from another site. For instance, I could sign this as

Eldhrin Tamwin Aes Sedai
Sitter for the Blue Ajah
Mistress of Novices
Aes Sedai to Ad al'Finnegan Gaidin

if I were pretending to be Eldhrin Sedai, but that would be silly because she doesn't exist on this site.

Why did I say all that? I don't know...

What's in a (nick)name?

Post 48

LL Waz

My nickname was chosen for the first set of reasons, secrecy etc. As someone else here said the idea of meeting "brain to brain" is intriguing. No age/gender/appearance/lack of dress sense/poor taste in cars preconceptions to deal with! But I wanted something pronouncable, that I could remember, and that meant something without leading to aforementioned preconceptions. So I chose a non english word. What the word meant is out of date and no longer relevant. But its still a reminder of a place & time that mean something and, as someone else has also said, I think nicknames need to be kept once people get to know you by them.

In practise I found the secrecy thing doesn't work. You can't start talking to people on a regular basis in any straightforward way without letting on a lot of the facts the name was designed to hide.

Alternative interpretion of The Grand Piano: Someone with every other tooth missing smiley - yuk seeking to intimidate dentists.

What's in a (nick)name?

Post 49

Gravity Welles

Like ~jwf~ I use my real name. Nobody believes me, so it works as a 'defense' while also being completely open and honest. As I point out in my introduction on my h2g2 home page, my parents were hippies and thought they were being cute. Damn them!
Some times I think it's cool, and sometimes I hate it. It's probably not fair that I have spent so much of my lifetime thinking about something most people take for granted. My friends just call me Gra like grey.
If I ever have it changed legally (my parents are dead and didn't leave me a lot of money to waste on legal fees) I'll probably stay Gra or maybe spell it Gray. Then everybody will think I'm a boy who can't spell Gary. smiley - bigeyes

What's in a (nick)name?

Post 50

Clelba

Are you british? cos i heard that officially your name is what people call you, so if you want to change your name, you just give your new name instead of your old one, filling in forms and things. getting it done by deed poll is just a way of proving that this person is you.
^. .^
= ' =

What's in a (nick)name?

Post 51

You can call me TC

I explain my name on my personal space too - it's always been there. But I think too much store is set by choice of names - you have to think something up as you are registering and just put down anything, in the heat of the moment, anything could come up!

It must be extremely difficult to hold down two identities and two characters with different personalities. And bothersome, too, to keep having to log in and out, depending on your mood.

What's in a (nick)name?

Post 52

The Apathetic

Oh, I don't know.

Schizophrenics seem to manage.

What's in a (nick)name?

Post 53

Clelba

but brains are quicker to change identities than the internet...
^. .^
= ' =

What's in a (nick)name?

Post 54

MaW

True.

What's in a (nick)name?

Post 55

Xanatic

Gravity is your real name? Maybe it is your destiny to become a physicist. Or parachute jumper.

Removed

Post 56

This post has been removed.

What's in a (nick)name?

Post 57

Gravity Welles

Too bad you didn't break your neck jumping out of that plane jwf!
I have clicked on the 'Linda' button and complained about your last posting. It is irreverent to the memory of my parents, accuses me of illegal activity and is an obvious drunken libelous abuse of my feelings. I complained two hours ago and they still haven't removed it. Is there a holiday in England or something or do you have to say f**k to get their attention.

What's in a (nick)name?

Post 58

Sometimes I wish I had.
You are absolutely right GW and I apologise. I was trying to do a funny at your expense and clicked 'post message' by mistake before I'd finished editing the bit that should have been "in quotes" as attributable to you. I sincerely apologise for libelling you and your dearly departed parents. I too have pushed the Linda Yikes button and asked them to remove it as it is seriously flawed, and also gives the impression I am engaged in illegal activities. But you may be right, you do have to say f**k to get their attention.

What's in a (nick)name?

Post 59

a girl called Ben

Good to see the Linda button being used in the way it is intended.
Bad to see it takes so long to take effect.
F**k this for a game of soldiers, eh?

agcB

What's in a (nick)name?

Post 60

Researcher 177402

On a certain chat website i use, found on my space, you cant say the full "F" word, F**k, F*ck F*** or the father jack version, with an "E" instead of a "U".
or even the team arsenal.. or git, it's offensive to gays aparently.. hmmmm anyway, back to user/nicknames

On the same site, I Was Chris252 but was banned for not using the name for a month.
So i then decided a change was in order-
"Hieveryone!" (Though i didn't press shift and the ! came out as 1)
then
"aka_hieveryone1"
then
"aka"
then
"(aka)"
and then, finally,
"~aka~"

I HAve many characters on that site, though.. few of them follow,..'
The sinning saint of opposites
The Drink can man
and the great pretender (from a QUEEN song, my favourite band of all time!)
i know this is annoying,
but,
"Bye,
Chris, keeper of everything
with a 2nd meaning"

Key: Complain about this post