A Conversation for Ask h2g2

What's in a (nick)name?

Post 101

You can call me TC

*Waves back to Tefkat*

What's in a (nick)name?

Post 102

knitbunny

This is a cool thread! A lot of questions I've been too afraid to ask have been answered now.

The thinking behind my nickname is nothing deep or profound, I'm afraid. I'm studying textiles and fashion, and I was in the middle of a panic about getting a knitting project finished on time when my family joined AOL. I had to think of a username and I was pretty determined to have one that was unique (no way was I going to have a number after my name) so I typed in loads of different combinations of words, all of which had been used before. I got fixated on the word bunny (would you believe someone had already taken the name twistedbunny? Some peoplesmiley - weird!) and knitting was obviously on my mind. When I combined the two I thought it looked pretty cool, I liked the spiky quick sound of knit with the softer sound of bunny, plus it made me think of the Adam and Joe Show (British tv programme famous for remaking hollywood blockbusters with grubby looking soft toys instead of Leonardo Di Caprio etc) and it's the name I use online all the time now.

I'm not sure what sort of signals it gives out but when I got it analysed the interpretation was

'Young, female, cute, likes pink things.
...Or possibly young, female, pink, likes cute things.'

I'd like to be taken a bit more seriously than that, but I've been knitbunny elsewhere for nearly a year now and I'm kinda used to it, so I don't think I'm gonna be changing it soon (although there's not a day gone by when I haven't thought of something cooler and more intelligent sounding)

What's in a (nick)name?

Post 103

Tefkat

Well, I like it knitbunny smiley - kiss

*smiley - hugs TC*

What's in a (nick)name?

Post 104

Bagpuss

Okay, my turn?

Bagpuss was my favourite show when I was little (my mum has told me I used to refuse to watch anything that wasn't animated) and so when I came to choose a name it was the first thing I thought of (this was before it was fashionable to like Bagpuss). Its only problem is that it isn't very unique (there's about 7 registered on h2g2, but I'm the only one who's actually around), so I'm waiting until I get a PhD, when I intend to become "Doctor Bagpuss".

What's in a (nick)name?

Post 105

Tefkat

Will that be soon Baggie?

What's in a (nick)name?

Post 106

Saint Patrick Patron Saint of Depression: Here to haunt your dreams and stalk your waking hours

My name is purely because on the whole it describes me (excluding quisling, I'm no traitor and a eulogy, I'm not dead also I would like to think I'm not a number, but somewhere I probably am)

What's in a (nick)name?

Post 107

Uncle Heavy [sic]

my nick is full of meaning and significance.

i got it from the hogfather by terry pratchett.

What's in a (nick)name?

Post 108

FairlyStrange

'ello ~jwf~!

Interesting reading, this is(oh no...my Jedi training is showing!smiley - winkeye)

I wish I could find a deep dark meaning in mine, but alas all I can offer is that DNA had already taken "Mostly Harmless", and "Fairly Strange" was a bit more discriptive anyway!smiley - biggrin

Until I came to H2G2 I used "Yiffenmaw"....a pronouncable version of YFNMAW, a bit of a tribute to the worlds' greatest comicbook superhero "Spiderman". I still use that on my e-mail accounts, but Fairly Strange is my moniker of choice anywhere else....from auto to DIY sites. I'm afraid it fits me too well!smiley - smiley

As far as my "sign-off"......its' not open for discussion!smiley - winkeye

NM

What's in a (nick)name?

Post 109

Bagpuss

In reply to Tefkat: Just a few more years.

What's in a (nick)name?

Post 110

Emily 'Twa Bui' Ultramarine

Hey - Bagpuss was my favourite programme when I was little, too (don't you just hate it when the things you love get fashionable? Like the Vodafone advert that uses the Dandys - I can't keep up this facade of obscurity if things like that happen). I liked it because (and I quote):

"Once upon a time, not so long ago, there was a little girl, and her name was...EMILY." smiley - smileysmiley - biggrin

What's in a (nick)name?

Post 111

Cathy the Swinepiper

I have chosen Cathy the Swinepiper because I am Cathy and I play a swinepipe. For those of you who do not already know a swinepipe is an E-flat (soprano) clarinet. It derives its name from the horrendous sounds that sometimes eminate from it. It is also a swine to play. I chose it because I thought it would be a unique name that describes me.

What's in a (nick)name?

Post 112

Saint Patrick Patron Saint of Depression: Here to haunt your dreams and stalk your waking hours

Emily it isn't that bad when obscure things become fasionable, at least I can get videos of some of it which couldn't be done before when it was obscure.

What's in a (nick)name?

Post 113

Uncle Heavy [sic]

i never understood bagpuss. i still dont. what is good about it?

What's in a (nick)name?

Post 114

Chris M

The Magnificent, Magical, Mouse Organ... Weeeeeeeee!

What's in a (nick)name?

Post 115

that intelligent bird whose name i've forgotten

What's in a (nick)name?

Post 116

Bagpuss

Professor Yaffle, the wise old wooden woodpecker. Y'know, I always feel sorry for Gabriel the Toad, everyone misses him out, even channel 4 in their hundred greatest kids' TV shows (4th? I woz robbed)

What's in a (nick)name?

Post 117

yep

What's in a (nick)name?

Post 118

~ jwf ~ scribblo ergo sum

Ahem...smiley - cross
*points sternly at 'Subject' line - taps foot impatiently*

OK, Baggy, you've had your 'turn'.
Put your dolls away now ..oh not that one! That's a Nit-bunny.
smiley - silly
Glad you're all enjoying the thread. So far.
Maybe Cathy will play us a wee toon. smiley - musicalnote Something Fairly Strange with an ultramarine blues beat or a eulogy to...
Arrrgh!

NEXT!

peace
~jwf~

What's in a (nick)name?

Post 119

thanks for the reference

What's in a (nick)name?

Post 120

FairlyStrange

~jwf~.....I know you can't, but 'twould be nice if you could pull the "caps" of that "Fairly Strange" up there.....I don't think I'm QUITE that much of a "hawk"......I AM an "old hippie", you know!smiley - winkeye

*Suanters off humming a George M. Cohen tunesmiley - biggrin"

NM

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more