A Conversation for Ask h2g2

What's in a (nick)name?

Post 161

~ jwf ~ scribblo ergo sum

The page turns and voila:

>> "Lucinda, please be sure to re-post the link to your fine article every time the page turns here, wouldja huh, please" <<

>Heh, I missed that, the first time round. But if you insist...

{blatant plug: http://www.bbc.co.uk/h2g2/guide/A442333
- "The Meanings of Usernames"}<

Always happy to promote well written Entries on interesting subjects.
peace
~jwf~

What's in a (nick)name?

Post 162

PQ

My current name was adopted for a different medium and I've only kept it out of habit - I had lots of IDs both before and after but this is the one I keep coming back to (plus it is original).

Other names include:
My real surname - which thanks to it's bizarre spelling was never recognised as such.

I'mDeadScouseMe -when feeling homesick - always misunderstood tho and I gave it up more out of frustration and being fed up of explaining it than anything else.

George'sGirl - after I met my hubby (in the same chat room) and in tribute to him - strangely though people still mistook me for being variously male (George) or american (Georgia). I eventually got a little tired of being defined via my other half - plus george went offline for a while so noone had any idea what I was talking about (not an uncommon experience)

Fermat'sFirstTheorem - would of worked except people kept asking me what it was and I didn't know

HammerWeildingNordicGod - that was quite fun but I mainly chose that to get a rise out of someone called thor

StripiestSocks - still quite like this one - at least people were forewarned about my overfondness for all things stripey and primary coloured.

and finally

BottleGreenSpecs - although my specs aren't bottle green i do like green and i do wear specs so....

PQ - a lapsed chatter (still not used to having typing speed being a major factor in conversation)

PS - please feel free to steal my old ID's - It would be nice to know that all the time devoted to thinking up original english ids (ie not SUZY1836758) didn't go to waste.

What's in a (nick)name?

Post 163

Researcher 178815

I couldn't be bothered reading the backlog, let's face it, it's been over a year since I last visited this thread smiley - winkeye

Anyone care to analyse aka? If you like, to make it more of a challenge, you can ignore the "also known as / alias" definition smiley - winkeye

The story of how said name came about is rather dull, but I'll like to hear your presumed stories, and analytical comments (what a mouthful!) first smiley - winkeye

What's in a (nick)name?

Post 164

Researcher 178815

By the way, Pencil Queen - "ImDeadScouseMe", is either a bizzare way to fool people into incorrectly assuming your location, or you're from liverpool smiley - smiley

If the latter, where about are you from, if you don't mind? smiley - smiley I hailed from a pretty rough area but turned out.. *just* smiley - ok, although it may've had an effect on my mental state smiley - winkeyesmiley - tongueoutsmiley - silly

Another name, accompanying aka, which I used for a while was "The Sinning Saint of Opposites", so if anybody wants to spend time analysing that one themselves, feel free smiley - smiley No need if you don't want to though smiley - smiley

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more