A Conversation for Musicians Guild Membership Page

Join Here

Post 581

h2g2 Musicians Guild

Hi Robyn smiley - smiley

*elbows way past ranks of guitarist comparing string injuries*

Welcome to the Guild - you'll find the membership badge at A434648

As for being in charge of something, well, what do you fancy? There are various music-related sections throughout the Guild, so have a look round and see what you're interested in smiley - ok

smiley - cheers

Danny B.

Join Here

Post 582

Elfrida

Ooops! Sorry, Danny B! *blush* Is there any way of diverting us whingeing guitarists into another thread (I'm too much of a technoramus to know how to do that or I would have done)?
Happy Spring holiday/ Easter to all!
Elf
*backs away looking embarrassed * smiley - winkeye

Join Here

Post 583

Danny B

Well, I can't physically divert everyone to a different thread - only the italics can do that. So, I've started this conversation:

F53961?thread=268734

...about guitar-related injuries. If you've got a painful story, come and tell it over there. If I get enough interesting, amusing or just downright painful smiley - yikes replies, I might just turn it into a collaborative Guide Entry smiley - ok

Join Here

Post 584

Elfrida

smiley - ok Many ta's Danny! smiley - cheers

Join Here

Post 585

Just Justin... (ACE)

how easy is it to play the guitar? I'm trying to decide if I should try to teach myself with a book or if its too hard...

J.J

Join Here

Post 586

Danny B

That's a pretty big question, Justin! smiley - smiley

In short, learning to play a few simple chords, which will let you play *hundreds* of songs, is not too difficult and can be learned from a book quite quickly. Most of the guitarists I know started like this. Anything more complicated than that can probably be book-learned over time, but you might want to think about persuading (or paying smiley - tongueout)someone to give you a few practical lessons! smiley - 2cents

Can I direct you to this conversation: F80953?thread=164133 (which was started with some rather negative, but slightly tongue-in-cheek, advice from me!) It's attached to the 'Taking up a a muscial instrument' Entry (A668081), where there is also some useful advice.

And if you want to find out about the dangers of guitar playing, you might want to lurn in the new thread about guitar-related injuries (F53961?thread=268734) smiley - winkeye

Hope some of that helps smiley - ok

Join Here

Post 587

Farlander

hello justin!

learning the guitar isn't all too hard... well, it's loads easier than trying to teach yourself the piano or the sax, anyway. especially if you're just interested in strumming. you may have to spend a few day/weeks going through the thwud-thwud-thwud-looks for new chord-thwud-thwud stage (suffer the audience), but it's worth it. unless of course the strings snap - see danny's guitar-related injuries thread smiley - winkeye

it would really help if you could get one of those 'teach yourself' books that comes with a cassette. somehow, having the book tell you how to play bluegrass just *isn't* the same as hearing the real thing.

Join Here

Post 588

Just Justin... (ACE)

Yeah, i'm deciding that if I get myself some spare time, in all this year 12 and stuff, i'll take my sisters guitar, borrow a book from the library, sit down in some quiet room in the house and try to teach myself...

Join Here

Post 589

Farlander

have fun! smiley - cheers

(what sort of guitar does your sister have, by the way? steel string or classical? bear in mind that steel strings will *hurt* at first... but it sounds lovely, if you're going to strum. speaking of which, if you're going to get a plectrum, you might want to start out with a soft one. the hard ones make a heck lot of sound)

Join Here

Post 590

Just Justin... (ACE)

steel sting or classical?
All I know is that it's acoustic...

Join Here

Post 591

00justme00

Hi ,
I play Classical guitar for 2 years now, and I got real good fast as I've been playing a similar instrument ,the Oriental lute for about 4 years before, as well as learning the music theory. I'm basically self taught using the internet as my main resource.
In addition to the classical style I like also the flamenco guitar,
I have so many favourite composers and players but to name a few : Pepe Romero, Christpher Parkening, John Williams, Narciso Yepes,Julian Bream...
I would like to join your community to meet other guitarists and share knowledge and advice.
Thank u .

Join Here

Post 592

Just Justin... (ACE)

Hello there...
Oriental lute? that's interesting... I think there's one at home here, apart from a couple of the strings are broken... smiley - sadface
I'll wait for you to be properly introduced, but there's a badge floating around somewhere which you can stick on your userpage...

J.J

Join Here

Post 593

Leons Online Ego

1) I play the trumpet (well, but havent in a long time) the piano (pretty well, now and again) and guitar (not very well, but frequently!

2) Mostly listen to 60s rock (hendrix, dylan, stones) and modern stuff like blur, chili peppers, coldplay. Play blues and classical piano, used to play in orchestras and bands with trumpet, play chords and struggle with mixture of tunes on guitar

3) Hmmmmm...dunno. Anyone wanna form a band in west London??

Join Here

Post 594

¦/ArTisAn\¦

Well HELLO..
I am a guitarist.I play pretty much for my own personal amusement i.e socially in the way of visiting my local pub and having guitar nights where friends and others can come and have a good old rattle at their strings and a bit of a sing song.
I love all kinds of guitar music and i am self taught and have been playing for over 20 years.
My musical influences include:
Bert Jansch,David Bowie,Wishbone Ash amongst others.
I'd hopefully like to get some feedback from fellow members.
smiley - smiley

Join Here

Post 595

SerjTankian... Freelance Assassin for higher... (not hire)

Hello there... I would like to joi the Musicians Guild... I have pretty good vocals... and I can play a little on lead guitar...

Musicians I am interested in are... Tom McRae... David Gray... J.S Bach... and a few more...
I have different music genre likes... actual music though... none of todays pop culture etc...

I am pretty skilled in GuideML so I'd happily help out with the Guild... although I'm currently on pre-moderation (doh) don't let that put you off me... I'm really a good boy... I just lost my temper a little...

Thanks for reading...

Serjsmiley - devil

Join Here

Post 596

Grube

OK, I started out with double bass, took ABRSM 4 in that, moved on to bass guitar, progressed with that over the last few years. I'm told I'm probably about Grade 7 standard now. I diverged a bit by picking up a Spanish acoustic two or three years ago, and now do a lot of playing and songwriting on the electric and acoustic six-string guitars. I also had a go at drums, and picked that up quite quickly, to the point where I'm about as good as a drummer as I am as a guitarist. I also sing in a male voice choir, doing a bit of barbershop and hymnal stuff; I'm a bass 2 in the chamber choir as well. I sing flat, but I guess you can't win 'em all.

Music I like is...well, broad, I guess. Reel Big Fish and Incubus are my two favourite bands, followed by Dave Matthews Band, then Nickelback, maybe...U2, Limp Bizkit, Coldplay - I could go on for weeks. I'm a rock/metal/ska/funk/brit man at heart I guess.

Erm...if there's anything I would want from the Guild, I can't think of it right now. Just the link to other musicians I guess! But I'm no good with Guide/HTML, sorry. Something I keep meaning to learn...

Join Here

Post 597

kimoe

Hey!!

Oh pleasepleaseplease, I would very much like to be a member of the honourable Musicians' Guild, if I am in any way worthy!

Well... I am an amateur singer of... let's say non-classical music. Originally I started out playing the piano (classically), but Beethoven had to give way to crammy jamsessions in a humid cellar involving vast amounts of electronic devices, intimacy and silence. However I still have a grand piano, and am the proud owner of a pump organ. As for instruments I would like to play, I am pantingly dreaming of a Theremin...

I listen to most music apart from brainless dance/pop and hard-core heavy metal. Among my favourites at the moment are Suzanne Vega, Bettie Serveert, Bach, Erykah Badu, Under Byen, Dave Matthews Band, Fläskkvartetten, Bruckner, Tom Waits, Robot and Tori Amos.

I would in particular like to have inspiration, insight and intelligent conversations to, into and about music, and I hope that I can contribute with most of that myself.

Hope to see you all soon!

Kimoe

Join Here

Post 598

h2g2 Musicians Guild

Hello to...

00justme00
Leons Online Ego
((Get~a~grip))
SerjTankian
Grube
kimoe

...and welcome to the Guild smiley - smiley The badge, as Justin pointed out, is indeed floating about, and can be found at A434648.

smiley - cheers

Danny B.

Join Here

Post 599

Gemma

hello all,

i have only been on h2g2 for two days! but i'd love to join the musicians guild...i'm a music student at the moment (at uni for the time being but hopefully conservatoire after!) and however difficult it is sometimes i never doubt that it's what i was meant to do - see my personal space for more insaneness on this, or leave me a message!
i am a first-study double bass player and proud. got my AB Gr8 six years ago and want (fingers crossed) to get a job in a big symphony orchestra when all is said and done. i know my way around a cello but prefer not to advertise that particularly smiley - smiley and only play the piano when i know no one is listening smiley - blush
i am open to all kinds of music, it's so difficult to pick out individual artists of any genre! this week i'm mostly listening to mahler 9, the janacek string quartets, queen greatest hits 1,2 and 3, catatonia and ben folds five if that helps...
i love talking about music and asking and answering questions!

Join Here

Post 600

h2g2 Musicians Guild

Hi Gemma smiley - smiley

I'm flattered that this is one of the first places you've stopped off smiley - ok

Anyway, welcome to the Guild - you'll find the membership badge at A434648

And Queen fans are always welcome here smiley - winkeye There is a Queen fan club at A607033 but it's been a bit quiet recently smiley - sadface

smiley - cheers

Danny B.

Key: Complain about this post