A Conversation for Alabaster House

The Social Event of the Season

Post 201

Pinniped


She was probably summoned, poor old girl.

It's a Halloween thing, I guess.


The Social Event of the Season

Post 202

LL Waz

Out on the lawn the death ship's tattered sails billow suddenly in a breeze that isn't there and in the silence of the ballroom, (the band are obviously on a break), strains of a strangled accordian are heard playing an off key sailor's hornpipe.


The Social Event of the Season

Post 203

Hypatia

Is it just me, or has the temperature dropped in here?


The Social Event of the Season

Post 204

LL Waz


Pale grey, vaguely humanoid, shapes clamber down the nets to the lawn and make their way up the steps to the ballroom with a macabre step, step, hop motion.

The wheezy accordian is louder and changes to waltz time.

The first pair of shapes glide in through the doors and begin a slow waltz. They're followed by two more and two more.

A partnerless shape enters, the Hatstand breaks away from the architect; these look like his kind of people.

He steps up, holds out the dinner jacket sleeves, and slids into a swaying waltz with the Shape.

The Albatross steps from side to side, swinging the chandelier in time.


The Social Event of the Season

Post 205

Pinniped


Well, you did ask for dancingsmiley - erm


The Social Event of the Season

Post 206

J

smiley - cross
Here I am, working like a dog to make our children's futures brighter and our editor's heads more powdery and y'all are dancing, gossiping about me and blowing whistles! smiley - steam As if that weren't enough, it's beggar's night here and there's a strange old man down the street playing on an organ... making the whole neighborhood creepy.

Y'know what? I'm not going to be left out.
*blows the whistle three times, gossips and twirls Hyp*

smiley - blacksheep


The Social Event of the Season

Post 207

Hypatia

Suddenly the room is filled with eerie colors - greens and pinks and blues in swirling patterns

Hypatia whispers to the seal.....does the aurora always accompany the death ship?


The Social Event of the Season

Post 208

LL Waz

The Albatross swings faster, eyeing the Vice President coldly. She seems almost possessed.


The Social Event of the Season

Post 209

Pinniped


Dunno really. I only saw it once before. That time, it was sunset, and after that it got dark like really quickly.

Good job it was Jodan who blew it, yeah? The Lady-who-is-Life-in-Death will possess his soul for all eternity now, but he'll probably notice it less than most.

Poor old Coleridge. This kind of thing happens to her all the time.

Funny thing is, there’ll be no trace of it all come daybreak. You’ll look for the death-ship, and in its place on the lawn there’ll be something innocuous, like a helicopter carelessly parked in the magnolia.


The Social Event of the Season

Post 210

Hypatia

*watches the pale translucent figures swaying rhythmically to the eerie hornpipe while the colors undulate around them, through them*

It's actually quite lovely - in a grotesquely surreal way.


The Social Event of the Season

Post 211

J

Like I don't have enough problems.

Pah.

smiley - blacksheep


The Social Event of the Season

Post 212

Pinniped


Yeah. You got stood up by a hound two nights running too.


The Social Event of the Season

Post 213

LL Waz

The VicePresident's 'pah' trails into silence.

He has noticed the Albatross. He gazes at the chandelier.

He is mesmorised.

As the figures sway and the colours undulate, wisps of orange from his tie start to join in.

Then a black mist swirls from his suit, merges with the blues and greens. The Vice President is dissolving before everyone's eyes.

smiley - erm, should we do something? Or not, guys.


The Social Event of the Season

Post 214

Pinniped


Well, if we really need a VP, I reckon we should swear in the hatstand.


The Social Event of the Season

Post 215

LL Waz

Oh, yeah. Neat idea. I'll get my office, no problem, and we don't have to do anything about that.

*points to half dissolved VP*


The Social Event of the Season

Post 216

Pinniped


*The albatross gazes sadly at the vulture, and shakes her head. She traces a sigil with an outstretched pinion, and Jodan reappears, albeit with parts of his suit smouldering disconceringly. The VP falls to the floor with a thump*


The Social Event of the Season

Post 217

J

Eh?

The Sheep is VVP, I'll have you know. And I'm going to go read for a few hours and I expect to be all in one piece when I come back.

smiley - blacksheep


The Social Event of the Season

Post 218

Pinniped


There's gratitude for you...


The Social Event of the Season

Post 219

Hypatia

*Hypatia looks at the dancer's faces, trying to read their expressions.* Evil? I don't think so. I see only longing and regret. For words said and unsaid. For opportunities forever lost. For the touch of a hand in the darkness....the smell of a certain cologne...gentle laughter...companionable silence...joyful expectation.


The Social Event of the Season

Post 220

J

*Jodan looks into the eyes of his sheep*

Evil? Absolutely. But I also see an undying thirst and an expectation for dinner a few hours ago... never fulfilled.

smiley - bigeyes

Thanks. Hopefully now that I'm in one piece I can walk over to the bookshelf now. 'night all.

smiley - blacksheep


Key: Complain about this post