A Conversation for Musicians Guild Membership Page

Join Here

Post 81

Good Angel - recently become obsessed to the point of psychosis with the film 'Bio-Dome'

(~deep breath~)
Ok, here goes...

1) I can play synthesizer, most percussion, a tiny bit of guitar (ie. the first two chords of Talk Show Host by Radiohead - my nails are too long) and that age-old favourite the descant recorder. Well, it worked for Angelica. I also like to sing along loudly to anything (or hum if it's an instrumental), but preferably Belle&Sebastian because of a limited vocal range.
2) I'd like to say anything, but I know that's not true... Mainly punk, glam, indie/alternative, trip-hop, rock, electronic 80s pop, whatever. My favourite bands are King Adora, Belle&Sebastian, Suede, Radiohead and the Manics, although right now I love Portishead, the Cocteau Twins and Mazzy Star. And Camera Obscura.
3) I don't know. Friends? A sense of well-being and not being left out of anything concerning music, I suppose.

Cheers!

Luv Your Friend the Good Angel smiley - angel xxx

PS. Is it too late to say that I write for a fanzine? Broken Violin, based in Glasgow smiley - biggrin


Join Here

Post 82

h2g2 Musicians Guild

Welcome to three new rockers -- King Lerxst, Catwoman, and Good Angel. It seems you guys have rather a lot of favorite bands in common. smiley - biggrin You've all been accepted into the Musicians Guild. I've added your names to our roster.

Thanks all of you for joining. It looks like you all have excellent taste in music smiley - winkeye and are quite literate also. I'm sure we'll enjoy having you around. Feel free to post new conversations or reply to other's posts at the Guild's main page. And please let us know if you write anything for h2g2 related to music.

Here are the usual links I pass on to new members.

To put our group graphic on your personal space, go to:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/h2g2/guide/A434648

We're always updating the Guild's Homepage at:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/h2g2/guide/U150368

You can browse around h2g2's music entries at:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/h2g2/guide/A425161

Catwoman, I have added your entries on The Wedding Present and Buzzcocks to our directory of entries. I'll post a little link on the Guild's main page in a moment too, in my rotating links area for new stuff at h2g2. Since you've offered to help out, please visit my personal space and get my email address. I'll need to email you the info to help. It's at:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/h2g2/guide/U136122

Fragilis


Join Here

Post 83

Hecuba

hey,
My two most achieved instruments are guitar and alto sax. Aswell, I play a little drums, bass and piano. I also sing. My favourite band, without question, is TOOL. They combine phylosophic theory with hypnotic rhythem and more than real emotion. I attained my interest in Carl Jung due to their lyrics. I listen to a wide variety of style, from blues(fav. blues artist:Stevie Ray Vaughan) through classical(fav.is Rossini, though I think he was in the Romantic wasn't he?) to hard industrial(ie. NIN, Skinny Puppy). Basically if it has true emotion I'll enjoy it. All I'm looking to get from the guild is an occasional ear to aim my ideas toward and a mouth to bounce some back. Good company and interesting people.
Hecuba
a.k.a. Brandon


Join Here

Post 84

Kyrki

I Have studied music all my life, I am a singer of lyric song and I play some piano. My favourite composer is Puccini althow he has written close to nothing for a mezzosoprano, (my type of voice). Any Puccini fans here?


Join Here

Post 85

leeney


My main instrument is the violin, but I also play the piano, cello and guitar. And I sing - I've never had lessons, but I'm not bad at it. I love so many kinds of music; especially jazz, classical, opera, latin, and.. it goes on.. =)
All I would like from the Musicians Guild is to meet others with similar interests and become a little bit more informed about music.


Join Here

Post 86

h2g2 Musicians Guild

Welcome, folks. I've accepted Hecuba, Kyrki, and Ieeney to the Musicians Guild. Your names are all listed on the group's roster now. Thanks for joining.

It's nice to see we're still getting a fair balance of classical and pop/modern musicians. Hecuba, you should perhaps write something on TOOL. I'm afraid I've never heard of the band, but I'm interested in a band that can get semeone interested in Jung.

There are some links I like to give new members, so here they are:

To put our group graphic on your personal space, go to:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/h2g2/guide/A434648

We're always updating the Guild's Homepage at:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/h2g2/guide/U150368

You can browse around h2g2's music entries at:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/h2g2/guide/A425161


Join Here

Post 87

simply scruff singing a rainbow

1)my main instrument is violin, i been playing violin for 7 years and not bored of it yet smiley - smiley that's real enthusiasm for you as i normally get bored seriously quickly, other instruments, guitar, piano, and a bit of clarinet. I looove singing, gotta be one of my all time favourite passtimes although i think my family rather it wasn't.

2)hmmmm a real mix here. I'm really into new metal but i also like loyd webber musicals. weird.

3)i dunno,i guess i like talking to people who don't get annoyed with you when you talk about music non-stop.


Join Here

Post 88

Back_Ache

Can I join??

I play the five string Bass and sing rather like Elvis but without the quiff and ove of deep-fried mars bars.

I'm rather open minded about music but love old Rythm and Blues like Wilson pickett etc. I would love to be able to play my bass like the legendary "Duck" Dunn

There is there nothing in particular I would like from the Musicians Guild, just to chill with like minded folks!


Join Here

Post 89

h2g2 Musicians Guild

Welcome to positivefreak and Back_Ache. Sorry it's taken so long to get back to you. I welcome you both to the Musicians Guild. You've been accepted as members, and I've added you to our members roster.

To put our group graphic on your personal space, go to:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/h2g2/guide/A434648

We're always updating the Guild's Homepage at:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/h2g2/guide/U150368

You can browse around h2g2's music entries at:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/h2g2/guide/A425161

There is a Chat page with forums for various subjects. However, it is possible this page will be removed, since nobody seems to be using it much. It's at http://www.bbc.co.uk/h2g2/guide/A582581

****

Fragilis the Melodical


Join Here

Post 90

monkey butler leader (Keeper of the Cardboard Boats and Muse of Love Squares)on holiday again!

hey,
I can play a range of intruments- just not very well. I've dabbled in piano, violin, flute, recorder and I occasional make odd noises on other people's guitars. As for musical tastes, well I grew up (am growing up) listening to classical music, but I love rock, in almost any form, plus I get a healthy diet of pop thanks to my boy-band obsessed friends. Combine all that, and you get, well something…


Join Here

Post 91

h2g2 Musicians Guild

I think you get a Musicians Guild member (a MuG) when you put all that together! We have a lot of folks with diverse interests, and all levels of ability are accepted here. Thanks for joining. I've added you to the members roster.

To put our group graphic on your personal space, go to:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/h2g2/guide/A434648

We're always updating the Guild's Homepage at:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/h2g2/guide/U150368

You can browse around h2g2's music entries at:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/h2g2/guide/A425161


Join Here

Post 92

agent002

Hey smiley - ok
smiley - coolagent002 here.
I play the piano and have recently developed a growing interest in guitar but I have no experience (yet)
I would also love to play the drums.
I have been playing piano for about 4 years and now play for the Sunday school at my church.
My favourite classic composer is Tchaikovsky.
I LOVE almost all genres of music.


Join Here

Post 93

iaoth

1. Drums, piano, and a wee bit of electric guitar and electric bass. Plus I sing. smiley - musicalnote
2. I like a lot of different music, but if I have to name a favourite band I guess it would be Nine Inch Nails aka Trent Reznor. I admire the insane skills of Dave Weckl smiley - wow and Steve Vai. Frank Zappa is probably my favourite composer (next to Reznor, Tori Amos, Bach and the likes). Also, Georg Riedel, Georg Wadenius and Janne Schaffer are my three favourite Swedish composers. smiley - smiley
3. Hmm, can't think of anything. smiley - erm


Join Here

Post 94

h2g2 Musicians Guild

Welcome, agent002 and iaoth. You've both been accepted into the Musicians Guild. Your names appear on our members roster how. Congrats.

agent002, you'll find that there are many MuGs (Musicians Guild members) who love Tchaikovsky. You're definitely in a crowd. smiley - smiley

iaoth, I think you may be the first to profess a love of Nine Inch Nails. I'm not sure why, as they are a marvelous band. smiley - erm Well, you're more than welcome to enlighten the rest of us of course. smiley - biggrin

Here are the links I usually give to new members:

To put our group graphic on your personal space, go to:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/h2g2/guide/A434648

We're always updating the Guild's Homepage at:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/h2g2/guide/U150368

You can browse around h2g2's music entries at:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/h2g2/guide/A425161

Fragilis the Melodical


Join Here

Post 95

iaoth

Hmm, you're right, there's no Edited Entry about Nine Inch Nails. That's a shame, I'll have to rectify that. smiley - smiley


Join Here

Post 96

Pico Jr.

Music is an important factor in my life...

I have experience in the piano and the guitar, and I have started tinkering on the bass. I am also a singer/songwriter in which I mostly seem to stick to an acoustic-rock genre.

You name it(Rachmoninov, Yanni, Harry Connick Jr., Big Bad Voodoo Daddy, Depeche Mode, Creedence Clearwater Revival, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Steve Vai, Papa Roach, Tool, Three Doors Down, DJ Keoki, Les Miserables, Bone Thugs and Harmony, and many others)and I probably have listened to, or currently listen to it.

I mostly care about listening to people who are as diverse as me... You get interesting conversations about how a riff done by Korn reminds someone of a Chopin composition, or the subtle difference in inflections of measure that are leading staples of a specific genre. I guess that is what I am looking for as a member of the Musicians Guild... Conversational Diversity.


Join Here

Post 97

h2g2 Musicians Guild

Cool. We can use all the songwriters/composers we can get. smiley - winkeye You've got a range of stuff there, but Yanni? I'll have to give you a noogie for that one. smiley - smiley

The other MuGs seem kind of quiet lately. The conversation comes and goes. Feel free to start a conversation, though I would recommend doing it on the Guild's main page instead of here.

To put our group graphic on your personal space, go to:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/h2g2/guide/A434648

We're always updating the Guild's Homepage at:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/h2g2/guide/U150368

You can browse around h2g2's music entries at:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/h2g2/guide/A425161

Thanks for joining!
Fragilis


Join Here

Post 98

Sid (the mock Eldritch)

I play the bass guitar, treble guitar and sing. I am generally regarded by the people that see me as pretty good at these things, although I'm really just a bassist and everything else is a diversion. I do also play the keyboard and the irish penny whistle, but not particularly well. The singing I do is mostly with the UK's leading tribute to a certain goth band, who I shall refrain from advertising here. Begins with an S...

I suppose if pressed I'd say that (apart from the very obvious) J.S. Bach, The Cure, Gary Numan, NMA, Jean-Michel Jarre, Ian Dury (R.I.P.) and most goth/rock type stuff (and anything with a good bassline) are my thing. I like lots of other things but these are frankly too numerous to mention.

I'm mostly interested in meeting more people, really. And sharing my almost anally-retentive knowledge of the basslines of certain bands with any that would like to know. (you can probably scrub the "almost" there, TBPH smiley - winkeye)


Join Here

Post 99

Proglodyte

1. I play a little guitar, and try to sing some. If I ever joined a band I would definitely not be the lead voice.

2. Frank Zappa is hands down my favorite composer, performer and artist. I am also heavily into progressive rock. And right now Mike Keneally is close to the top of my favorites list too.

3. How about some free guitar lessons? I still have much to learn and and basically going the self-taught route.


Join Here

Post 100

Danny B

I (allegedly) play the guitar - originally classical, but 10 years ago I got a bright blue Strat smiley - cool and it was all downhill from there... I sing phenomenally badly, but my neighbours haven't complained yet.
Likes... anything with words and a decent tune (and, preferably, at least one loud guitar, but that's not absolutely essential).

Danny B.


Key: Complain about this post