A Conversation for LIL'S ATELIER

53Xth Conversation

Post 421

Garius Lupus

[smiley - fullmoon]

smiley - hug for Amy.


53Xth Conversation

Post 422

Montana Redhead (now with letters)

40888, could you explain that slowly, using very small words? What is skinning?

(Here I finally admit that when it comes to th inner workings of computers, I have NO CLUE)

Also, I'm sloooowly getting the hang of GuideML. I've added a few smileys to my space (mostly Amy's glorious new ones), nothing fancy, but given the above admission, it ain't half bad.


53Xth Conversation

Post 423

Titania (gone for lunch)

MR, you might find my and myselve's (smiley - cdouble) entry helpful: A690518


53Xth Conversation

Post 424

Amy the Ant - High Manzanilla of the Church of the Stuffed Olive

MR, smiley - redwinehttp://www.h2g2.com/h2g2/skins/Alabaster/images/Smilies/f_redwine.gif" /> and smiley - disco are the work of our most excellent friend Greebo T. Cat (smiley - milksmiley - donut). But smiley - boing is the product of my deranged imagination. I have to admit that smiley - erm.

skinning, skins: there are three skins on h2g2 - alabaster, brunel and classic goo. You can choose between them in the Preferences. Or, if you just want to sample them you can edit the address of this page (in the bit that says http:// etc) by replacing the word 'alabaster' with 'brunel' or 'classic' and then pressing enter.


53Xth Conversation

Post 425

Hypatia

Hi everyone. I'm new to h2g2 and Titania invited me to join this conversation. Hope you don't mind. First, it's clear I'm going to have to learn how to add the smilies.

I'm currently only half insane. Been working on a big project that may take care of the other half. I'm from the Midwest - small city - dull people - hoping to find someone interesting to talk to. I'm the director of a public libary. Okay, so we have a reputation for being dull, dull, dull. Truth is, librarians are generally opinionated, sarcastic, and most of us a warped sense of humor. But we're not dull. One trip to a library convention will convince you of that.

Anyway, my time is really tight right now, but in the near future I hope to be able to stick around long enough on h2g2 to get acquainted.


53Xth Conversation

Post 426

Montana Redhead (now with letters)

Greetings and Salutations, Hypatia.

Nice name. Alexandrian, died when the library there was burnt, correct?


53Xth Conversation

Post 427

Amy the Ant - High Manzanilla of the Church of the Stuffed Olive

Hi Hypatia

Welcome to h2g2 and the Atelier.

Matina [she's a bot], could we have some smiley - tea and smiley - cheesecake for our new guest please?

Just click on any smiley to get to the <./>Smileys</.> page.

smiley - smiley

Amy smiley - ant


53Xth Conversation

Post 428

Witty Moniker

Welcome, Hypatia. I'm looking forward to getting to know you. By the way, you have a very cosmic user number... U200042, very smiley - cool.


53Xth Conversation

Post 429

Hati

Welcome, Hypatia! smiley - smiley

smiley - rose


53Xth Conversation

Post 430

Coniraya

{[caer csd] Hello, Hypatia. The original version of myself is currently rescuing Lil, our hostess, it is a rather long story and seemingly getting longer. As the comedy stunt double, perhaps I should have gone instead.

All the stuff from the accountant has now been signed and returned, the Company has fulfilled legal requirements for another year and I can relax a bit. smiley - ok}


53Xth Conversation

Post 431

Chris Tonks

What ho Hypatia! smiley - smiley

Update on the house situation: we're finally going to build the extension! smiley - biggrin Well, actually, we have to knock the old one down first, and that started this morning. It's finally happening...

I like the new skin and the new smileys. smiley - smiley


53Xth Conversation

Post 432

Hypatia

Thanks everyone for the welcome. Yes, I'm afraid poor Hypatia met a bad end. Actually she was killed by a mob of Christians,(she was a Pagan), dragged into a church and mutilated. Then they burned her body. Folks were so intense in those days. Her father was the head of the library or the museum at Alexandria, and Hypatia was a philosopher and astronomer. I'm not nearly as wise, but hey, I know enough to stay way from raging mobs.

Another really great name is Byzantium. Maybe not as cool as Lothlorien.


53Xth Conversation

Post 433

Montana Redhead (now with letters)

Yes, but that led to all that Istanbul/ Constantinople ruckus.

Ah, yes, my women's history class is slowly coming into focus.....


53Xth Conversation

Post 434

a girl called Ben

Hi Hypatia - very cool name.

Yes, I can imagine librarians being opinionated, sarcastic, and having a warped sense of humour. My kind of people, in fact. smiley - biggrin

I dot in and out of the Atelier. I am here at the moment because I am not working (which is a good thing). When I am working, I tend to disappear for months on end. As a result I have no idea where Lil is, I am just grateful we can carry on meeting here.

Anyway, enjoy hootoo. I was going to say bland good things about it, but instead I will say that the advice that I have had from the salonistas in the last three or four days has been wise, and has made a difference.

And now, mes amies, I am tired and going to go to bed.

a girl called Ben


53Xth Conversation

Post 435

Courtesy38

Hypatia -

Welcome, I'm sure you will enjoy yourself.

Courtesy


53Xth Conversation

Post 436

dElaphant (and Zeppo his dog (and Gummo, Zeppos dog)) - Left my apostrophes at the BBC

Drat, my welcome to Hypatia has been lost in the ether. I closed my posting window by accident instead of posting it.

MR, I think the h2g2/dna staff are being extremely loose in their definition of "site". They are almost exactly the same site with different URLs. For instance:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/U18695
http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/360/U18695
http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/hub/U18695
http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/place-london/U18695
http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/place-devon/U18695

There are some differences. Each site has its own main page, for instance, and you can't go to http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/place-nireland/thePost unless you know the article number, and even then the URL will stay the same but the skin/appearance will take on the look of the site to which the article belongs. For instance: http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/place-nireland/A533819 is my h2g2 entry on steam heat.
smiley - dog


53Xth Conversation

Post 437

Montana Redhead (now with letters)

Yes, I noticed that.

Brunel is ...well, it's rather staid on my computer. I think I will stick with Alabaster, thank you very much. Although I do like that shade of green...


53Xth Conversation

Post 438

dElaphant (and Zeppo his dog (and Gummo, Zeppos dog)) - Left my apostrophes at the BBC

Brunel also limits you to 20 orange pool balls (what I would otherwise call LEDs). I'm sticking with it for a while, even though I keep clicking on the rivets thinking that one of them must be a hidden link to something neat.
smiley - dog


53Xth Conversation

Post 439

Sol

Hey look, the smiley - disco one flashes. Gotta have that again!


53Xth Conversation

Post 440

Titania (gone for lunch)

Hi Hypatia, I'm glad to see that you made your way here!smiley - smiley

I don't like the brunel look myself - tried it for a while, but I think the contrasts between the different background colours are too sharp for my taste...

Oh - happy birthday d'E!smiley - hugsmiley - bubblysmiley - cake


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more