The Ultimate Carry On Film Guide: 1965 - 1967 Content from the guide to life, the universe and everything

The Ultimate Carry On Film Guide: 1965 - 1967

1 Conversation

The Ultimate Carry On Film Guide:
1958 – 1961 | 1962 – 1964 | 1965 – 1967 | 1968 – 1970 | 1971 – 1973 | 1974 – 1992
Carry On Christmas | Carry On Laughing
Doctor and Matron

By 1965 the Carry On films had established themselves as a successful British comedy series, popular with the public but generally looked down or ignored by the critics. The films were all produced by Peter Rogers at Pinewood Studios and directed by Gerald Thomas. Peter Rogers was an independent producer notorious for making his films quickly and cheaply, and for going out of his way to avoid paying his actors. In the early 1960s his comedies were released through Anglo Amalgamated films, who distributed their films through ABC (Associated British Cinemas). Anglo Amalgamated was run by Stuart Levy, who was an enthusiastic supporter of the Carry On series, and Nat Cohen, who wasn't.

This stage in the series marked a transition as the key cast was still being formed. Although the roles of rebel (Sid James), authority figure (Kenneth Williams), villain (Peter Gilmore) and matronly woman (Hattie Jacques) had been filled, two key roles were still required: the young, romantic lead actor and actress. The lead actor role had originally been played by Leslie Phillips, Kenneth Connor or Bernard Cribbins; however, they had all left the series (although Kenneth Connor would return). Similarly, Shirley Eaton and Liz Fraser had excelled at the love interest characters, but it was felt that neither Juliet Mills nor Julie Stevens had been successful replacements. Joan Sims had previously been cast in the glamorous lead female role; however, following her return in 1964's Carry On Cleo as a nagging wife, she would alternate between glamorous and unflattering roles.

All Carry On films made in the mid-1960s were written by Talbot Rothwell OBE. The main Carry On cast and actors credited on four or more films are listed in Bold. As the Carry On films are considered to be quite sexist, whether or not the episodes pass the Bechdel Test is also mentioned (this can be summarised as whether the film involves two or more named female characters who have a conversation together that does not include or mention any male characters).

11. Carry On Cowboy (1965)

PlotOutlaw 'The Rumpo Kid' rides into Stodge City, kills the sheriff and takes over the town with the aid of saloon-owner Belle, much to the horror of Judge Burke who writes to Washington DC requesting that a marshal comes to clean up the town. In Washington a sanitation engineer named Marshall hopes to make towns cleaner by revolutionising America's sewer system and is mistakenly sent to Stodge City. He is accompanied on his journey by Annie Oakley, the sheriff's daughter, who seeks revenge for his death.
Length93 minutes
SettingStodge City, The Wild West
Characters
  • Marshall P Knutt, sanitation engineer mistaken for a marshal (Jim Dale MBE)
  • Johnny Finger 'the Rumpo Kid', infamous outlaw (Sid James)
  • Judge Burke, Mayor of Stodge City (Kenneth Williams)
  • 'Ding Dong' Belle Armitage, saloon owner (Joan Sims)
  • Annie Oakley (Angela Douglas)
  • Big Heap, local Native American chief (Charles Hawtrey)
  • Little Heap, Big Heap's son (Bernard Bresslaw)
  • Doc (Peter Butterworth)
  • Sheriff Albert Earp (Jon Pertwee)
  • Charlie, Barman and one of Rumpo's men (Percy Herbert)
  • Curly, one of Rumpo's gang (Peter Gilmore)
  • Sam Houston, cattle farmer (Sydney Bromley)
  • Miss Jones, a 'secretary' (Margaret Nolan)
BechdelPass (just). Annie and Belle call each other 'an old bag'

Called the first British Western and still the definitive British Western comedy, Carry On Cowboy is another highlight made when the series was at its height. It marked several actors' first Carry On appearances, including new female lead Angela Douglas, Peter Butterworth, Bernard Bresslaw, and a blink-and-you'll-miss-her appearance by Margaret Nolan. Jim Dale, having had minor roles in the previous films, for the first time became the romantic lead and hero and was given a pay rise to £1,600.

Although Pinewood and surrounding area looks nothing like the Wild West, the set appears as genuine as any seen on the big screen before or since, with added sewers. The set was specially designed to have buildings at both ends of the main street to hide the fact that it was filmed at Pinewood. Producer Peter Rogers described the making of the film with the words:

We saved a fortune by not going to America. Why bother? We had acres of field and Sid James in a black cowboy hat; the field was the prairie, he was our villain. We even had a totally convincing Western settlement built on the backlot at Pinewood. Our film was the only time a Western town had a right hand turnoff when the buildings were finished. Usually you would see a great expanse of uncivilised landscape. If we had revealed what was behind that last house, you would probably have seen the Pinewood canteen!

Another way that Peter Rogers saved a fortune was by refusing to give his scriptwriter, Talbot Rothwell, a percentage of the profits when he asked for that while writing this film. Instead, Rothwell was paid a flat fee of £5,000 without royalties.

As no Western would be complete without a show scene, Angela Douglas sings 'This is the Night for Love' while wearing a skimpy outfit. Later on, Can-Can chorus girls appear wearing even scantier outfits. Kenneth Williams based his American accent on Hal Roach, producer of the Laurel and Hardy films. Carry On Cowboy was the only Carry On to go behind schedule, finishing a day late due to rain.

12. Carry On Screaming! (1966)

PlotWomen keep disappearing in the area surrounding Hocombe Wood, near the Bide-A-Wee Rest Home. Can the long arm of the law solve the mystery of the monster's finger? Will Detective Bung's wife ever get out of bed? What are the Watts doing with electricity? Did something take the missing girls, or are they all lost dummies?
Length97 minutes
SettingEdwardian England
Characters
  • Detective Sergeant Sidney Bung (Harry H Corbett)
  • Dr Orlando Watt, deceased mad scientist (Kenneth Williams)
  • Detective Constable Slobotham (Peter Butterworth)
  • Albert Potter, investigating his girlfriend's disappearance (Jim Dale)
  • Valeria Watt, Orlando's seductive sister (Fenella Fielding1)
  • Emily Bung, Sidney's nagging wife (Joan Sims)
  • Dan Dann, lavatory man (Charles Hawtrey)
  • Sockett, Watt's butler (Bernard Bresslaw)
  • Doris Mann, Potter's girlfriend (Angela Douglas)
  • Dr Fettle, police scientist (Jon Pertwee)
DragSlobotham (Peter Butterworth) as bait.
BechdelFail (the cast has four named female characters, but Doris spends most of her time unconscious and Valeria only leaves her house at the end of the film. Despite Emily spending most of her time in bed, she has a brief conversation with Mrs Parker (Marianne Stone) but they discuss Sidney)

Carry On Screaming, the longest film in the series, continued the run of Carry On films at the top of their game. Having mocked the James Bond films with Carry On Spying, the series turned to that other great British cinema staple, Hammer Horror. There were also nods to popular comedies such as The Munsters and The Addams Family. Fenella Fielding's seductive performance was particularly memorable. In order to ensure the film looked authentic, Edwardian cars from Beaulieu Abbey's National Motor Museum were hired.

There were some cast issues. Firstly, Sid James was forced to pull out due to his commitments on television sitcom George and the Dragon. His character of Sidney Bung was recast - Harry H Corbett of Steptoe and Son appeared in his only Carry On role, and was paid a then-record £12,000. Charles Hawtrey did not originally have a role in this film2 but was given the role of Dan Dann, which had originally been intended for Sydney Bromley. He was paid £400 for his brief appearance.

During a long night shoot Jim Dale and Norman Mitchell, who had had minor appearances in three previous films in the series and was playing the cabby, were heard to joke that they should go on strike. Taking this innocent comment out of proportion, Peter Rogers did not cast Mitchell in another Carry On for ten years.

13. Carry On Don't Lose Your Head (1966)

PlotDuring the French Revolution two bored English noblemen decide to save members of the French nobility from the guillotine. Can they escape the clutches of citizens Camembert and Bidet?
Length90-minutes
SettingFrench revolution
Characters
  • Sir Rodney Ffing, the Black Fingernail (Sid James)
  • Citizen Camembert, French big cheese (Kenneth Williams)
  • Lord Darcy Pue, Ffing's accomplice (Jim Dale)
  • Duc de Pommefrite, condemned French noble dandy (Charles Hawtrey)
  • Desiree Dubarry (Joan Sims)
  • Citizen Bidet, Camembert's assistant (Peter Butterworth)
  • Maximillien Robespierre, leader of France (Peter Gilmore)
  • Jacqueline, Ffing's love interest (Dany Robin)
Drag
  • Darcy and Rodney disguise themselves as old tricoteuses.
  • Rodney disguises himself as an old woman.
  • Jacqueline disguises herself as the Black Fingernail.
BechdelFail

In early 1966 Stuart Levy died suddenly. Nat Cohen, his surviving partner at Anglo Amalgamated, had always felt that the Carry On films were beneath him. He announced that Anglo Amalgamated would no longer make Carry On films. Determined to keep calm and carry on the Carry Ons, Peter Rogers contacted Anglo Amalgamated's rival distributor, J Arthur Rank. Rank was the biggest film company in Britain at the time. It had been founded in 1937 by J Arthur Rank when he had wanted to make a film promoting his Methodist beliefs. To ensure it was seen he bought the Odeon Cinema chain in 1938 and acquired various film studios and other cinema chains over the next three decades. Rank were delighted to welcome Peter Rogers and give him the support he needed.

Carry On Don't Lose Your Head3 was initially released as Don't Lose Your Head, as Rank were unsure whether they could legally use the Carry On title. They also did not want audiences to associate the film with Anglo Amalgamated rather than themselves, but still hoped to keep the links to the previous films. They decided to compromise, advertising the film with the slogan, 'Carry On Laughing Until You Have Hysterics But Don't Lose Your Head', with one of Kenneth Williams' lines being 'Carry on chopping!' as a reference. In America the film was released simply as Carry On Pimpernel. As Baroness Orczy had died in 1947, influential novel The Scarlet Pimpernel (1905) was still in copyright. Producer Peter Rogers pre-emptively wrote to her estate to say that Carry On Don't Lose Your Head's heroic Black Fingernail rescuing French aristocrats from the guillotine was not in any way based on The Scarlet Pimpernel, who heroically rescued French aristocrats from the guillotine.

To provide the period setting, location filming took place at National Trust properties. Clandon Park was used for the interior scenes set at Ffing House, and Cliveden was used as the exterior. The only French-château in the country, the Rothschild family home Waddeson Manor, was used as Camembert's home.

The film includes a baroque cover of The Beatles' 'She Loves You'. Unusually for a Carry On film, a French actress, Dany Robin, was cast to play Frenchwoman Jacqueline4; Robin was married to Sid James' agent.

Without the highly successful Carry On films to support them, Anglo Amalgamated was taken over by Associated British Picture Corporation in 1967, which itself was sold by its parent Seven Arts to EMI in 1968.

14. Carry On Follow That Camel (1967)

PlotAfter being accused of deliberately tripping a friend during a game of cricket, Bertram Oliphant 'BO' West and his manservant Simpson join the Foreign Legion, unaware that his name has been cleared and the love of his life is following him. Yet the legion is in trouble as the Bedouins, led by Sheikh Abdul Abulbul, are plotting their massacre.
Length95 minutes
Setting1906 England and Algeria
Characters
  • Sergeant Nocker, corrupt legionnaire (Phil Silvers)
  • BO West, English gentleman joining the legion to forget (Jim Dale)
  • Simpson, Bo's manservant (Peter Butterworth)
  • Commandant Burger, legion's commander (Kenneth Williams)
  • Captain Le Pice, Burger's adjutant (Charles Hawtrey)
  • Zig-Zig, local café owner (Joan Sims)
  • Lady Jane Ponsonby (Angela Douglas)
  • Corktip, medium and belly dancer (Anita Harris)
  • Sheikh Abdul Abulbul (Bernard Bresslaw)
  • Corporal Clotski (John Bluthal)
  • Captain Bagshaw, bad sport (Peter Gilmore)
  • Ticket Collector (Julian Holloway)
Drag
  • Simpson (Peter Butterworth) disguises himself as Abdul's bride.
  • Jane (Angela Douglas) wears a legionnaire's uniform
BechdelFail

Another Carry On initially released without the Carry On name, this film was inspired by PC Wren's Beau Geste5 (1926) with Jim Dale as BO West. Sid James had had a heart attack caused by the stress of his George and the Dragon commitments. A replacement actor was needed, but who? Accounts differ as to whether it was Rank or Peter Rogers who decided on a new tactic to try to break into the US market, where only Carry On Nurse had been successful. It was decided to cast a famous American comic in the main role. Rank initially announced that they were in talks with Woody Allen; however, in the end Phil Silvers was cast.

In the UK Phil Silvers was at the peak of his popularity, as his 1950s series The Phil Silvers Show aka Bilko (1955-59) was being broadcast to great acclaim. Rank did not realise that in America his star was fading and his latest series, The New Phil Silvers Show (1963-64), had flopped and been cancelled. The Carry On cast found him difficult to work with, particularly as he refused to learn his lines, and his appearance did not increase interest in America, where the film was released as Carry On in the Legion.

Location filming took place at Rye on the Sussex coast, with a full-sized fort built at Camber Sands. It took so many lights to light the set that the crew were given a warning by the Electricity Company that they were using too much electricity. The country house scenes were filmed at Swakeleys in Middlesex. This film featured the most location filming in the series (three weeks). A camel was hired from Chessington Zoo for this film, but Sheena, having lived all her life in a zoo, was reluctant to walk on the sand and would only do so if metal plates were buried just beneath the surface.

The character Corktip was named in reference to the Foreign Legion film Under Two Flags (1936) that featured Claudette Colbert as a character called Cigarette. The film's biggest weakness has to be the female characters. Angela Douglas had played a strong character in Carry On Cowboy, but in this film her role is reduced to being taken advantage of by everyone she meets in a series of uncomfortable scenes implying sexual assault and/or rape along with dialogue such as 'that's a funny way to check my porthole!' Sadly, neither she nor co-stars Joan Sims and Anita Harris are given a great deal to do other than be seductive or be taken advantage of.

The film resembles a historical Carry On Sergeant, complete with bayonet practice mishap. Shortly after being released as Follow That Camel to an indifferent reception, both this and Don't Lose Your Head were re-released. When renamed Carry On Follow That Camel and Carry On Don't Lose Your Head they attracted more attention, but neither were as successful as had been hoped, leading to rumours that the next film would be the last in the series.

15. Carry On Doctor (1967)

Or:
  • Nurse Carries On Again
  • Death of a Daffodil
  • Life is a Four Letter Ward
  • A Bedpanorama of Hospital Life
PlotWhen Francis Bigger, a man who makes his living telling people that they don't need doctors to be healthy as it is all a case of mind over matter, has an accident, he is admitted to hospital. There the patients are embroiled in the internal politics, with the unsympathetic Dr Tinkle and Matron on one side plotting to get rid of the caring Dr Kilmore.
Length94 minutes
SettingHospital in England
Characters
  • Francis Bigger, patient with bad back (Frankie Howerd)
  • Dr Jim Kilmore (Jim Dale)
  • Dr Kenneth Tinkle (Kenneth Williams)
  • Charlie Roper, loafing patient (Sid James)
    • Visited by: Mrs Roper (Dandy Nichols)
  • Mr Barron, patient convinced he is pregnant (Charles Hawtrey)
    • Visited by: Mrs Barron (Gwendolyn Watts)
  • Matron Lavinia (Hattie Jacques)
  • Mr Smith, patient having lump removed (Peter Butterworth)
    • Visited by: Mrs Smith (Jean St Clair)
  • Ken Biddle, patient recovering from appendicitis and a broken leg (Bernard Bresslaw)
  • Chloe Gibson, deaf assistant of Mr Bigger (Joan Sims)
  • Nurse Sandra May, former patient of Dr Tinkle (Barbara Windsor)
  • Nurse Clarke, in love with Dr Kilmore (Anita Harris)
  • Sister Hoggett (June Jago)
  • Mavis, patient in women's ward (Dilys Laye)
  • Henry, ambulance man (Peter Gilmore)
  • Chaplain (Peter Jones)
  • Nurse Parkin (Valerie Van Ost)
  • Simmons (Julian Holloway)
DragKen Biddle (Bernard Bresslaw) as a nurse.
BechdelPass

Carry On Doctor was a conscious attempt to celebrate the tenth anniversary of the most successful film in the series, Carry On Nurse, and even included a nod to the earlier film's daffodil joke. It also included a reference to producer Peter Rogers' wife Betty Box's Doctor films6 by including in the hospital foyer a portrait of James Robertson Justice who played surgeon Sir Lancelot Spratt. This was because Peter Rogers believed it likely that it would be the last film in the Carry On series and wanted it to be a tribute to both his and his wife's films. As the film title contained the word 'Doctor', he gave his wife a percentage of the profit.

This was the first Carry On for Frankie Howerd, who had originally been offered the role of Doctor Tinkle, much to his disappointment, while Kenneth Williams was offered the bigger role of Mr Bigger. However, both actors were unhappy with these roles and asked to swap, leaving both satisfied. Joan Sims was originally offered the role of Matron but said Hattie Jacques was the natural choice, leading to her return to the series for the first time since 1963. Sid James, keen to return to work following his heart attack, was given the role of a patient as this allowed him to spend most of the film lying in bed. Jim Dale would take a two-year break from the Carry On series following this film, while Barbara Windsor makes her second appearance in the series, following Carry On Spying three years earlier. Maidenhead Town Hall doubled as the hospital while the Lancaster Hotel was used as the Nurses' Home.

After Carry On Doctor was highly successful at the box office, more Carry On films were guaranteed.

Carrying On

The Carry On film series had survived being dropped by Anglo Amalgamated. Having returned to using Carry On in the film titles, the series would soon reach the greatest heights and even make films that critics would be prepared to acknowledge.

1Fielding had appeared briefly in Carry On Regardless but was best known for appearing in films made by producer Peter Rogers' wife Betty Box, such as the Doctor series.2When the original cast had been announced without him listed, newspapers had speculated that he would no longer appear in any Carry On film.3The 25th film produced by Peter Rogers and directed by Gerald Thomas.4No-one from Egypt or Italy featured in Carry On Cleo, Carry On Cowboy was devoid of Americans, no-one from Morocco was in Carry On Follow That Camel, or from Afghanistan/Pakistan in Carry On Up the Khyber, the French character Emmannuelle was played by an Englishwoman, and even Carry On Behind's Russian archaeologist was played by a German actress.5This also inspired Terry Pratchett's Soul Music.6Doctor in the House (1954), Doctor at Sea (1955), Doctor at Large (1957), Doctor in Love (1960), Doctor in Distress (1963), Doctor in Clover (1966) and Doctor in Trouble (1970).

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Edited Entry

A87938905

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry

Categorised In:


Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more