Supermarket VIII: The Wrath of Fleas

1 Conversation

The Classic Goo monster in an h2g2 T shirtHello, and welcome to the eighth edition of Super Market, the monthly update of everything exciting taking place in h2g2's own Flea Market.

Interview with a Scavenger

I don't know if anyone else has noticed, but every month or so I've been writing something called SuperMarket for The Post. In SuperMarket I go on about stuff that's happened in Flea Market as well as interview someone. So far I've interviewed people who have rescued articles from the Flea Market and I've been interviewed too, but I can't help but suspect that when every interview has gone a little like this:



Q: Have you rescued something from the Flea Market?

A: Yes

Q: Did you enjoy it?

A: Yes

Q: Would you do it again?

A: Yes

Q: Would you recommend that others do so?

A: Yes

It could be considered somewhat repetitive.

In order to provide you, the readers with a balance, I have interviewed someone who has not rescued anything from the Flea Market, and quite possibly has no intention of doing so. I then hid the interview for a couple of months rather than actually publish it. And so I chose Dmitri Gheorgheni.

Bluebottle: Hello Dmitri. I am trying to discover why one of h2g2's most prolific writers (who famously writes right) has not attempted a Flea Market Rescue. This isn't me trying to guilt-trip you into doing a Flea Market rescue (although if you did, that would be great.) Can you tell me if there is any reason behind why you haven't attempted a Flea Market rescue?

Dmitri: To be honest, I haven't thought about it. Elektra and I actually did an Update ['The Straight Dope' by Cecil Adams] a few weeks ago, something we'd never tried before. The reason for this was my dissatisfaction with a Guide Entry I ran across when linking.

Bluebottle: Have you not got around to it?

Dmitri: Yes. I haven't, because I keep thinking of other things to write about. But you're right. I should take a look.

Bluebottle: Do you feel that your style would clash if you attempted to merge it with another researcher's?

Dmitri: Definitely. My style clashes with EVERYBODY'S. It would be like putting baroque furniture in a Bauhaus apartment. On the other hand, several Post Reporters and I have managed the trick of collaboration - especially if I can use snarky footnotes.

Bluebottle: Are there so many things that interest you that you want to write about, that you don't have time or need to rescue something else?

Dmitri: That's it. Try getting through a day without somebody's bringing up a new topic that you just HAVE to look up. Right now, I'm trying to finish this so I can go find out more about those 15th-century cat paw prints on the Italian manuscript Peanut told me about...so much information, so little time...

Bluebottle: Do you feel Flea Market is disrespectful to the original authors' intentions?

Dmitri: No, not at all. Sometimes, an author might start a project and lose interest. Or just not have time. The Flea Market is a beautiful opportunity for asynchronous collaboration. (Feel free to use that phrase in your advertising copy.)

Bluebottle: Would you recommend that other writers rescue things from the Flea Market?

Dmitri: Ab-so-bloomin'-lutely. When I ask h2g2ers why they aren't writing more, they say - wait for it - 'I don't know what to write about'. Flea Market! Problem solved.

Bluebottle: Are there any questions you think I should ask and wish to answer?

Dmitri: I refuse to answer those questions on the grounds that I am in the h2g2 Witness Protection Program...wait, you mean about Flea Market? No, I think you've covered it. I would add: the Flea Market's an excellent way to add to the Guide. It gives you a start on a subject you might not have thought about. The research will be fun, and PR will thank you! And I'll get over there one of these days - probably when the Post Reporters manage to meet their deadlines.

Bluebottle: That was only the once....smiley - winkeye

Last Chance to Rescue!

Many articles have been in the Flea Market for up to and over a decade or more with no interest shown in rescuing them. Rather than let them gather dust for all eternity, the time has come for them to return Back to Entry. But before they leave the Flea Market for ever, the h2g2 community has one last chance to rescue them, as long as someone volunteers. All you have to do to is volunteer to rescue them, or argue why they should not be removed. You can let us know in the Flea Market thread, or in our Ask conversation.

All articles that have not had any interest by the start of September will be removed from the Flea Market for good. The results of the five articles in last month's Last Chance to Rescue will be announced in Ask and in next month's Super Market!

ArticleAuthorFlea Market Discussion
Pubs in Bedfordreg/petroDiscussion
A wonderful article about all the pubs in Bedford, but surely, a decade after it was written, no longer accurate. Do you know Bedford, and can you make this entry up to date?
Working as a Courier in AtlantaOrmewoodDiscussion
A wonderful article about working as a courier in Atlanta, but how many Researchers on h2g2 work as a courier in Atlanta? Does anyone have similar experiences and would this work as the basis of a general article on couring?
Troubleshooting connections from a laptop to a projectorLogan 6Discussion
Configuring and connecting your laptop to a projector for a presentationDiscussion
All you have ever wanted to know about connecting laptops and projectors together, but were afraid to ask.
Writing and the penSlartibartfast's HelperDiscussion
An article promoting writing diaries, novels and generally using pens.

So why not rescue one of these? Or your chance will be lost forever!

Recommended Rescues

Since the last issue, six Flea Market Rescues have been recommended from Peer Review:

We look forward to seeing these on the front page soon!

New Entry to the Flea Market

This entry has entered the Flea Market, all ready to be rescued, since the last issue:

New Flea Market Archive

The Flea Market now has its own Archive page in The Post, where all Flea Market and Scavenging articles that have appeared in h2g2's newspaper are now kept.

Flea Market Rescues Currently in Peer Review

These are the articles being rescued from the Flea Market that are currently in Peer Review. Why not help by reviewing the new version of the article?
Aricles in Bold are new entries which have been submitted since the last issue of SuperMarket was published.

Article Being RescuedConversationRescuerOriginal
James Bond: The Quick Film GuidePeer ReviewBluebottleJames Bond: A Quick Film Guide by toosmartforbond2
General William Tecumseh Sherman - An EnigmaPeer ReviewFlorida SailorGENERAL WILLIAM SHERMAN by TLG (The American Civil War History Group)
'Discworld Noir' - the GamePeer ReviewGeggs & BluebottleDiscworld NOIR by [...]
STV - the Single Transferable VotePeer ReviewNosebagbadgerSingle Transferable Vote (STV) by Kia Shuma
Atoms and Isotopes: Pre-university LevelPeer Reviewmikeyc0312Atoms and isotopes - A level Standard by nicki
The Development of the English CountyPeer ReviewBluebottleEnglish Counties, The Real Counties by Ianorth

Everyone who reads through and comments upon these articles helps to make it the best it can be.

And Remember...

, the Flea Market needs You!

The Flea Market Archive

A reader of the h2g2 Post

The Bluebottle Archive

Bluebottle

05.08.13 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A87805641

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more