Pubs in Bedford

3 Conversations

Pubs and bars in Bedford.

This is a quick introduction to some of the pubs, which have visited on occasion over the last few years, within the county town of Bedfordshire, Bedford. This is by no means all of the pubs in the Bedford area, nor is it a detailed description of what you are likely to find within, those that have been included. But it should be of relative use as an introduction to drinking within the town. Hope you find it useful. Will hopefully be adding more detail to it, as new pubs are visited, and old ones revisited in the future.

The Allen’s club.
A moderately sized pub, with a 40p pool table! Does seem to be slightly lacking in atmosphere, but is still rather pleasant all the same. Live bands occasionally play, should be noted that they tend not to be the usual rock or metal, types that are found in other pubs; they tend towards the more jazz end of the musical spectrum.
Comfortable seating, and plenty of it. It is a bit out of the way from anywhere else however (the pub that is and not the seating).
Hurst Grove.

The Balloon.
The Balloon is a very small pub that is close to the centre of town, but is one of those places that you wouldn’t actually ever go to, unless someone described exactly how to get there. It is certainly not a place for many of the younger drinkers around, and has a reputation as a bit of an old mans pub, which is very much reflected in the main clientele of the place.
The phrase “no-body likes a smartarse” is an apt one for this place. No-body should have any problems in this pub and actually have a good time, (some of the regulars are more than happy to regurgitate stories of past events to anyone that will listen), however if you behave as if you think that your better than the other people in the pub, then you may well not be inside the pub for a very long time. But on the plus side you wont have to walk out of the door (because half a dozen blokes will have picked you up and thrown you out).
Overall a nice enough small pub, not one for most young people and certainly not for the majority of students. Is greatly lacking in conventional pub entertainments, and hasn’t exactly got the nicest décor or seating in the world, but could all be very much worse.
Foster Hill Road.


The Bankers Draught.
The other Wetherspoon’s to be found in Bedford*. There isn’t a great deal which can be said about this pub, which hasn’t been said about Pilgrims. Apart from, it is on the high street, and therefore has easier access to other pubs. Also has a beer garden, but is generally slightly smaller than Pilgrims, though saying this, it is still one of the largest pubs in Bedford. Becomes insanely packed on Friday and Saturday nights, but generally speaking isn’t overly bad.
High Street.
*Might be an idea to read the review about Pilgrims Progress before, Bankers Draught, as that was the original order in which this was written for some reason, but then thought to be clever would put the pubs into some sort of alphabetical order. Sorry if this causes confusion.

The Bear.
Perhaps not the type of pub for the smiley happy people brigade. Always seems to be dark, even on the brightest afternoon. Is part of the Greene King chain of pubs and therefore the quality of the beer, is fairly guaranteed. Perhaps has not got the best reputations in the world, and if you make the mistake of wearing very pale or bright colours when going there, then expect one or two dirty looks. The music tends towards the slightly alternative/ Kerrang style. It ought to be noted that unlike most pubs, the music is not produced by a bar controlled music machine, but rather by a jukebox at the far end of the pub. This has the plus point of providing the music that the people drinking in the pub actually want as opposed to what the pub managers like, but has the disadvantage of long silences occurring from time to time, and feeling that its chucking out time before it actually is. Does have a small outside drinks type garden out the back, with a couple of tables etc.
As long as you can get over any initial fears which may greet you as you enter, then you should find it a pretty good all round pub, but perhaps not the place to take the family.
High street.

The Bedford Arms.
This pub shall, almost certainly strike you as being a little on the rough side, from the moment that you walk through the door. Has had a slight refit and fresh lick of paint recently, and this has helped to improve the atmosphere somewhat. Although the main part of the bar does still look just about the same as it always did; the side room, (with pool table), does look really quite nice, with new modern looking stools, and décor. Still perhaps not a pub to spend a whole evening in, but can at least spend an hour or so there without feeling unduly uncomfortable.
Has a reasonable location, near to the centre of town, and less than five minutes stumble to the High Street.
Bromham road.

The Bedford Lounge.
This used to be (up until recently) Yates, and to be honest despite the change in name, some new sofas, and a new coat of paint inside and out, it hasn’t really altered at all. Well, It was very difficult to see any dramatic improvements within the place; the bar is exactly the same, the music being played is virtually the same as before, and even some of the bar staff look familiar. Have been told however that “its improved immensely”, although as the person that said that, had been drinking for the previous nine hours or so, his opinion is perhaps not the most reliable.
Basically if you like Yates, then you should like this place. Did seem to have a great deal more people in it than Yates ever had, but that could be because it’s a “new” venue. The music is basically popular, club orientated stuff, designed to get people warmed up for places like the Mission (see further down). Nothing really new or exciting here though. Disappointing.
High Street.

The Bird in Hand.
A plain and not very exciting kind of place hasn’t got anything really outstanding about it to recommend, or slate it. Has two pool tables, though they are often used for club matches. Also has big screen TV for sporting events. A bit out of the way though, and it’s a bit of a walk from the centre of town. Good for quiet nights out only, or for those willing to do some exercise along with there drinking.
Brickhill Drive.

The Blarney Stone.
A fairly small quiet pub, which is slightly hidden away from the main road, by a numerous amount of houses. A Charles Wells pub, which, is just about the only pub in Bedford, which serves Harp lager. Apart from that, the range is pretty much standard. It has a beer garden, which overlooks a small side road. It is rather too open, however, and there isn’t really any sense of privacy within the garden. Like many of the pubs in Bedford, which are not on the High street, there is nothing excessively wrong, or astonishingly brilliant about it. This seems to be a bit of a shame, as the pubs on the High street have an advantage over the non High street pubs (or N.H.S.P’s), due to their localities towards one another. This would have made me think that it would have been more of an incentive for the N.H.S.P’s. to be more individual and “different”.
Roise Street.

The Castle.
Another pub, which contains multiple rooms, although neither of them are particularly impressive or overly entertaining in themselves. A small number of horse brasses are dotted around, and it has the feel of an old-fashioned cosy type of establishment. Nothing to overly recommend it however, and is a bit difficult to find if you don’t know of its existence.
Rothsay Place.

The Century.
Quite a bit out of the way, from just about any other pub. Looks very uninteresting and new from the outside, and it doesn’t get too much better when you step inside. Has the added disadvantage of being in an area, which seems to attract “townies”. Although it does have to be said that the landlady has got a fearsome reputation as someone who does not take any flak from anyone, and so whilst you’re in the pub, no harm will come to you. Though you will have to keep a check upon your own behaviour and language.
Church lane.

The Circuit bar. (Has recently closed, and is apparently re-opening soon as a Bistro, will keep posted).
Small and almost completely devoid of any atmosphere, WHAT SO EVER. Brightly lit, but otherwise, pointless. Now with added karaoke.
St.Pauls Square.

Bar Citrus.
Perhaps not the most popular place to go, though there are not really many reasons why that should be so. All right there’s no pool table, or TV, but the beers nice, its fairly spacious, clean, with a pleasant enough, if rather subdued atmosphere. Not to mention that when a couple of us, whilst in a fairly intoxicated state, attempted to buy one of the bar maids a drink, she very honourably refused to accept, and did not take advantage of our slightly clouded states of mind. Does seem to be overly well lit for a pub, and is in stark contrast to the Bear, just around the corner. Is slightly difficult to see how it stays open, but does have a mildly good mid-day food trade, and has a nice looking coffee machine to boot.
Also should be said that Friday night is jazz night, with local musicians playing live music.
Harpur Street.

The Corner House.
A fair sized pub, although it does have the appearance of being bigger from the outside, than in. Has a pool table for entertainment value, and the beer is good quality and of the range you would expect from a typical Charles Wells pub. There’s an affordable jukebox in the corner, which plays, quite descent music. A pretty friendly place, with a reasonable atmosphere.
Tavistock Street.

The Cricketers.
Located fairly close to the centre of town and the High Street, this is an incredibly small pub, but often a very popular one. It is the closest pub to the rugby ground down the road, and is the primary drinking hole for fans after and before a game.
Due to this, and the obvious connotations from the bars name, it is a traditional sports bar. There is a wide screen television, that shows various sporting events, and it is decorated with various sporting memorabilia, such as old cricket bats and pictures of former players etc.
Over all a very nice pub, perhaps not the most exciting, or one that you would go to for a wild night out, but a very good family type of a pub, and perhaps good for the start of an evening out.
Goldington Road.

The Cross keys.
Another pub, which has Karaoke on a Sunday. Small, with a small dance floor, have virtually no seats. Didn’t exactly seem to be the most entertaining pub in the world, the only times that have gone into it, but nothing really to make me complain about it. Have been reliably informed however, that on the right night, or at the right time of day, it can be full of atmosphere, people music and excitement. So pick your timing carefully, or you could get a less than favourable idea of what its like.
High street.

The Devonshire arms.
Another small and highly un-noticeable pub, especially from the outside. If you didn’t know that there was a pub on this road and it was a dark day, than it would be very easy to walk straight past it. Inside there are two small rooms, which are connected via both a door by the bar, and the toilets, which was a nice feature.
Seemed to be a very friendly and cosy pub, with just about the right level of lighting, and a good old-fashioned traditional pub type of feel to it. Very homely and not a million miles of from the pubs on, and near to Castle road.
Dudley Street.

The Embankment hotel.
You have to walk through the hotels reception area to get to the bar from the main road. The bar itself is rather unremarkable and of fairly little interest. The price of the beer is slightly higher than what most people would wish for. You can order food at the bar, and there is a wide screen television and comfortable seats, in terms of entertainment value. The main good point about the place is its location on the side of the river. There are several seats outside at the front of the hotel, and you can overlook the incredibly picturesque Great Ouse River. So it’s up to you if you think that the great view is worth the extra expense of the beer.
The Embankment.

The Engine and Tender.
Didn’t come across as being the most friendliest place in the world, at first, but as long as you don’t talk as though you have a plum in your mouth you should be alright, and get out with all knees intact.
No longer has any pool table, and so the only reason for going there has ceased to be. The seats and general décor are a little rough, but not to the point of being actually scary or a health hazard in themselves. It’s only the other people in there that you have to be weary of.
Midland Road.

Esquires. (Danny’s bar).
This should not be confused with the two areas of Esquires, where you have to pay for admission, which shall be described much later. Located on the ground floor, the bar in Esquires, is fairly small, but the bar area itself is reasonably large. It contains a pool table and slightly separated seating area at the back, if you want to get away from the bar itself. There are numerous televisions, dotted around, of various sizes, which normally have a music channel showing, the exact channel, depends largely as to who happens to be behind the bar at the time. Not much of a selection of beer, and the atmosphere is fairly dead until late on in the night. Less than 10 minutes walk from the High Street, but then you could just spend the whole evening in Esquires, going from the bar, onto the club section later, if you can’t be bothered to walk anywhere.
Does occasionally have live bands playing, within the bar area itself.
Greyfiars.

Fleur de Lis.
A rather uninspiring pub, which doesn’t really have an enormous amount going for it. It is located close to the main club in Bedford (The Mission), and so has an advantage for those who can only manage to pretend to be sober for short periods of time. There isn’t really a great deal, which can recommend this pub, or for that matter especially damn it. The seating is fairly good, although it is lacking somewhat in any real atmosphere.
Mill Street.

The Flower Pot.
This, has a reputation as being one of the more intimidating pubs in Bedford, although, it is hard to say why on visiting. I certainly seemed to be one of the more friendly if anything, places to go to. The people within, did tent towards the older end of the pub going market, and it would be rare to see many in there under 30. Still a very nice place to go to. Don’t let the name put you of either.
Has a small but pleasant enough beer garden, which is hardly very glamorous, but does all that’s its supposed to do.
Tavistock Street.

The Forester’s Arms.
Another small, not terribly inspiring pub, which has nothing wrong with it in particular. It has a very nice beer garden, which is very nice to spend some idle hours in, during a hot summers afternoon. The music is fairly standard popular modern stuff and the beer is of a standard sort of range. It also has a good quality pool table. All in all, (apart from the beer garden), it is a fairly average pub.
Union Street.

The Fox and Hounds.
Has various pop type music available, and two pool tables. Also an easily accessible jukebox. Plentiful comfortable seats available, and an outside beer garden. Owned by Green King, so the beer tends towards being slightly the wrong side of £2.00 for the average half descent pint. Has the majority of the typical range of drinks, but nothing out of the ordinary or exciting.
Most notable feature is that it is painted bright yellow, though that is perhaps the most exciting aspect of it. Good for families.
Goldington Road.

George and Dragon.
Noted by some as being the pub to go to, on a good night out (at least on a Friday or a Saturday). A good variety of music and beers is often to be found. Has the bonus of being pretty much, right next to the Mission nightclub. A good all-round atmosphere has a fair sized beer garden out the back, and seats are often attainable, if you can wait for a few minutes. It has a good variety of drinks, and the bar is apparently open until 1, (at least on a Friday night). It is also close to the pubs on the high street. A draw back however, is that the music does tend towards the loud side, which on a Friday night is fine, but can be irritating if you want to talk to someone, in that you would have to go outside into the beer garden.
Mill Street.

The Gordon Arms.
Another fairly ordinary and plain pub. Is slightly newer looking than the other two pubs in the area. Has a nice enough atmosphere and serve nice enough beer. Has a nice pool table, with nice cues. There are nice people to be found at the bar, and all in all it’s a nice place. What more can really be said, apart form it’s “nice”.
Castle road.

The Grafton.
It seems to be a fairly small pub, but that’s only up until you realise that there are three separate rooms within. Not the sort of place you would spend a lot of time in if you don’t like either Manchester united, or Celtic, as there are many numerous pictures and memorabilia, from either team, dotted around the walls. If you don’t really care about this however, then it is a perfectly nice enough place, to go. One of the rooms is fairly quiet, and you can have a perfectly civilised talk, in front of the telly, which is all very homely. Did get the impression that students were hardly the largest section of the places clientele, so if you are, then be prepared for a few slightly surprised looks.
Midland Road.

The Hobgoblin.
A Wytchwood owned pub, which looks and feel like an old fashioned slightly alternative pub. Great atmosphere if you catch it at the right time. Serve an above average range of drinks, especially if you’re not solely a lager drinker. The seats perhaps leave a little to be desired, as they are of the hard basic wooden variety, though saying that this is not a pub where soft furnishings would really fit in very well. Kerrang is normally to be seen on the big projector screen, and heard over the speakers. Friday’s are slightly different however, as it try’s to become more mainstream and tends to play more and more “cheesy” pop tunes as the night wares on. There is again a pool table available for extra entertainment. Once more, a draw back is the steep stairs to the toilets, but on the whole this is a pub which would be strongly recommend, for those who are perhaps not completely conventional, but not willing to go as far out as the Beer.
High street.

The Kings arms.
This is an old fashioned type of pub, with an old fashioned looking wooden interior etc. along with the occasional one or two pieces of horse brass etc. has an entertaining pool table (if you get to play on it, then you will see what is meant by that). Has a very cosy atmosphere, and is good if you want to just sit down and chat to someone, as there is the added bonus of mild level music in the background to fill up any awkward silences, which may occur. Does apparently have occasional karaoke and quiz nights, should you feel so inclined; if you’re not however, be warned.
St. John’s Street.

The Littern Tree.
Karaoke on a Sunday seems to be pretty much the main draw back of this pub. That and the occasional use of promotions, which require members of the staff to go out in the street dressed in ridiculous costumes, trying to induce people to come inside. Anywhere, which feels that it needs such extreme forms of self-advertising to get custom is rather off-putting, and comes across as being a touch desperate. Has pool tables, if your lucky enough to get on them, numerous and large TV screens, which tend to show sport. Plentiful seats, and the music is usually pretty good, if perhaps occasionally inappropriately loud, (in that after around 8, loud music is fine and good and normally very welcomed, however in around 6, should be more in terms of background only). A large pub, one that could compete with the Wetherspoon’s. Yet again however you have to endure a set of stairs, if found in need of relief. This at time of writing was the only pub that was found to be open till 12, on a Sunday night, (at least on the High Street); but perplexingly, only open until 11 on a Monday and a Wednesday.
High Street.

The Mill.
A fairly soulless place, which is perhaps overly well lit. Has a bit of a reputation as being the place where the local public school kids go to, which can be either good or bad depending on who you are. Deeply lacking in atmosphere, and is perhaps overly clean, feels as if it has been sterilised. It is however very well located, being very close to the Mission night club, and close to the High Street. Would not recommend it as a place to go to for long, or if you want an entertaining time.
Mill Street.

The Nags Head.
Has a fairly descent pool table, and a long bar. Not certain what the range of music is, as have only been in there a couple of times, and then they played light Reggae. Extensive sofas, and all of them seem to be quite comfortable. The walk to the toilets is perhaps one of the rather more curious aspects of this pub, in that you have to walk along a long and winding corridor, from the bar to them (which would imagine become quite a challenge for the more inebriated). It occurs to me that they could have made the pub about twice as big, if they made the toilets closer to the bar.
Good quality food is also available.
Midland Road.

The Paddington
Pretty large pub, with two main rooms, one of which has a large dance floor area, and the other a pool table. The seating appears to be slightly limited, but what there is, is comfortable enough. Again nothing much to complain about here, although its location is a bit out of the way, and the atmosphere hardly gets the blood going.
Midland Road.

The Park.
A very nice and homely pub. The occasional local band plays there, although is really too small to contain a band if truth be told. Has a spacious beer garden, which can be seen from the road, and adjoins onto the car park, which is a bit unusual. There is usually a quiz night there on Sundays. Its location is negative on the one hand, due to the distance from other pubs, but positive on the other due to its proximity to Bedford Park, which is surely one of the most picturesque places within Bedford.
Kimbolton Road.

The Pilgrims Progress.
A Wetherspoons. There isn’t a lot more which needs to be said about it really, as the majority of people know exactly what that entails, i.e. no music, only warm taps in the toilets (which discovered to great annoyance, upon the first visit to one of these chain pubs), quite a good menu of food, on a normal night, a strange mixture of old people and students (due to the menu, and cheapness of the beer). It goes without saying that there isn’t a pool table in sight, and that the atmosphere is generally rather non-existent. However, due to the lack of music, is good if you want a lengthy conversation, or somewhere to take a family.
This is the larger of the two Wetherspoons in Bedford, though the furthest from the majority of the other pups in Bedford (e.g. The High street).
Has got a small beer garden to the rear of the pub.
Generally seen to be a pub that you go to, to get drunk on cheap beer, before going to somewhere else.
Midland Road.

Porters Black. (Has recently closed down, will keep posted).
A music and sports bar essentially. This is a very modern looking bar, with a large dance floor, and slightly above average seats. Most nights there is some sort of sport being played on the large screen, apart from on Friday nights when they have a live band. The quality of the band does it has to be said, vary quite a lot, and is a bit of pot luck as to whether you like them or not on the night.
High street.

The Rose.
Deemed a music bar, and therefore obviously has a plentiful and slightly varied range of music being played. Different nights have different musical styles, and you should try and pick your night with discretion. Has a very large beer garden along the side of the pub. There are two pool tables, but both of which are outside, although you can only use them during the summer. Does have a large TV projector screen thing. Have to climb a set of stairs, for the toilets, which as a mate discovered one New Years Eve, were quite an effort. The chairs tend to be of good comfort quality, if you can get one. Can become incredibly busy, (memories of waiting for over half an hour sobering up, whilst in a queue for a drink are still haunting). Have one or two slightly “different” beers, in the form of Hoegardern, on tap, (which I would recommend, but be warned, it is quite heavy and not one for the already bloated). Now open until 2am on Friday and Saturday nights.
High Street.

The Ship.
A very friendly pub, with plenty to do when you are in it to keep you entertained. There are a few small TV’s dotted around, a pool table, darts, and they have live music on Saturday nights. The music (with the understandable exception of Friday and Saturday nights), is played at a decent level, and is affable enough. There is however a feeling that pretty much the same people visit the pub time and time again, and that everyone knows one another. The whole, “where everybody knows your name”, springs to mind. If you are intending to find a friendly, place to call you’re local, then this will probably suite very well. But it is also a nice pub just to visit on the odd occasion as well.
Bromham road.

The Ship.
This is quite an interesting pub; in that it is sectioned of into three fairly separate parts, with the bar dead in the centre of the pub. The first part being the non-smoking section. This is perhaps the least lively section, and means that you have to effectively partly go outside and come back in again to the second section, in order to get to the toilets. The second and third sections are somewhat plain and unremarkable in themselves. There is a small beer garden at the front of the pub, and an additional slightly bigger one to the rear, which are both very pleasant upon the occasional sunny days that come along within Bedford. Does seem to be a friendly and pleasant pub, with a good atmosphere, comfortable and varied seating (pending on what room you’re in), and a reasonable variety of beers. Pretty close to the High Street, although if you didn’t know about it, then it would be slightly difficult to just bump into.
St. Cuthberts Street.

Bar Soviet.
Small and highly modern. Is perhaps trying slightly too hard to be chic, but as far as Bedford is concerned, it comes over as being fairly sophisticated. Has a very wide range of various vodkas, of various types and flavours, as well as all of the normal Alco pops and usual suspect lagers. Nice seats, and has the benefit of no stairs. Another pub with an occasional big screen TV. The queues to get in there on certain nights, can be rather extreme however, and would advice either going early, or being prepared for a long wait in order to get in.
Lime Street.

The Square.
The Square, (formally the Bullnose Bat), reputably is the first and so far only bar in Bedford that runs an American style of bar tab, in that if you wish, you can pay for all of you’re drinks at the end of the night, instead of paying as you go. As you have to hand over you’re bankcard at the start of you’re stay there, there is no chance of running out without paying. This method of doing things seems a little on the risky side, as it would be very easy to accumulate an obscenely large bill, without really noticing it until its too late.
Other draw backs to this pub are that, it no longer has any pool table, the music is of a somewhat questionable club like nature, and it is heavily overcrowded. Like the bulllnose bat before it, however, it does have incredibly comfortable sofas, although actually being able to sit on one is a little on the difficult side due to the overcrowding issue.
St. Paul’s Square.

The Three Cups.
A good old fashioned, fairly traditional looking and feeling pub, with two separate sections, with the bar in the centre. Slightly unusual music (such as Country and Western), but other than that it’s a nice enough place to visit. Once more slightly out of the way, and is really not the sort of place that’s really worth walking out of you’re way in order to get to. Pleasant enough, with good seating and the only coat hangers, that you would actually be tempted to use, in any pub in Bedford.
Rothsay Place.

The Three Tuns.
The only pub, which is in the small village of Biddenham. This is very much an old fashioned, village type of pub, which contains numerous and plentiful horse brasses, which are liberally dotted around. You do half expect someone to come in and start yelling, “tally ho”, at any second. Saying this, it does have a cosy enough atmosphere, and the people within it are always friendly. It does seem to be very much a local pub, and it does seem unlikely that many people from outside of the village frequent it very often.
Deep Spinney.

Venom.
One of the slightly new breed of pub/club type places. A highly fashionable and modern sort of place, playing very clubby style music. Very large in size, although largely on the same level. Has plenty of seating, which is of a reasonable comfort, and has an area for dancing. The prices are some of the most expensive to be found on the High Street (and therefore in Bedford as a whole), especially for pints. The amount of variety is considerably limited as well. Really far too loud a place to go for a conversation with anyone, and really only the type of place to go to if going to a club afterwards. Nothing really new to be found here, and not worthy of some of the hype that has come its way. There are two beds to be found at the far end of the pub, which are there apparently for larger groups of friends to “chill out” upon. There is also a fountain, although “if ya touch it, then your out!” So you have been warned.
The High Street.

Wellington Arms.
At last a pub not on the High street, which offers something slightly different! It does this by offering a large range of guest ales every week. Admittedly this would hardly appeal to all, but it does fill a gap in the market, and it does it very well. There is normally quite a selection of unusually named beers to chose from, (with the added bonus of being able to try before you buy), and they alter every week, so if you’re an ale drinker you will never get bored. There are one or two more mainstream beers on offer regularly, as well as a few wines and spirits for those less keen on ale.
The atmosphere is very good, in that it’s a small pub, which gets VERY full. Everywhere you look within it, you can see beer mats from countless strange named beers, from breweries all around the country and beyond. The average age of the customers within, would have to be around forty at least, so perhaps not the typical young persons pub, but all in all it certainly makes for a slightly different place to go. Comes highly recommended.
Princess Street.

The White Horse.
Initial impressions, caused scepticism, as seemed far too well lit, and appeared to just be an old pub, that was trying to be overly modern, by having fancy glass, light coloured wood panelling and new looking seats dotted around. It ought to be knotted that if new look wood etc. is what you are looking for within a pub, than you may well be a bit disappointed by the toilets.
It was redeemed heavily by the friendliness of the bar staff, who were only too pleased to chat about complete nonsense, which is always a bonus within a pub, when you are trying to pass time, whilst waiting for someone.
A large place, that isn’t exactly very close to many other places, although is the nearest pub to the Pollhill campus of the local university, and isn’t too far away from the cinema (around 5-10 minutes walk).
Overall, a reasonable place, but benefit if it were to try slightly less to be modern.
Newnham Avenue.

Awards (so far).
Best music: (Generally), Hobgoblin.
Best seating: Bedford Lounge.
Cosiest atmosphere: The Ship (Bromham Road).
Best “going out” atmosphere: The Rose.
Best toiletries: Bar Soviet.
Best “starter” pub: Bankers draught.
Best entertainment (pool table etc.): Fox and Hounds.
Best beer garden: The Ship (Bromham Road).
Most old-fashioned pub: The Three Tuns.
Most “intriguing” jukebox: The Bear.
Jekyll and Hyde atmosphere (depending on night): Hobgoblin.
“Tis a local pub for local people”: The Three Tuns.
Worst stairs: The Rose.
Slowest serving: The Rose.
Worst atmosphere: The Circuit bar.
Scariest pub: The Engine and Tender.

Clubs.

The definition between pubs/bars and clubs in this instance is purely that you have to pay, on entrance into a club, and not in a pub.

Chicago’s. (Temporarily closed, probably just for renovation. Is rumoured to be getting a “Saturday night fever”, style dance floor in November. Yet to be confirmed.)
One of a chain of places, which all look and feel the same. Is really rather pointless, in that just feels like a pub, but with the added annoyance of having to pay to get in. Student night on Mondays, which reduces the entrance price slightly. The beer is slightly more expansive then in most pubs, but less than in some clubs. Dark lighting, overly loud and popular music, adds to the annoyance. Not much of an atmosphere, and has a slight reputation as an “old person” club.
Recommended pubs: Bankers Draught; Cross Keys; Fleur de Lis.
St Peter’s Street.

Esquires.
Downstairs.
It should be firstly pointed out that although the upstairs and downstairs of Esquires, are to be found within the same building, the reason for the definition between the two, is that, as a bouncer once put it “there two separate venues, got it?” So taking his word for it…
Downstairs basically consists of a large dance area, with a bar at one side as you walk into it, from the cloakroom/corridor, and a small seating area, on the other. The music tends towards the more alternative / Kerrang end of the market, and the most entertaining night would have to be Friday. Saturday is normally about as busy, although the music and the people are mush more mainstream (one Saturday the most alternative thing played was “The Darkness”). A very entertaining place to visit, with a varied range of people to be found.
Recommended pubs: The Bear; Hobgoblin; Esquires (bar).
Upstairs.
This is generally just a live music venue, and like the bar downstairs, closes at 11. Normally speaking, local bands play there, which means that the quality can vary greatly; although some known bands have been known to play there in the past. Can be a very good atmosphere, but again depends upon the bands playing. It is also reputedly haunted, although no evidence of this has so far come to light.
Recommended pubs: Hobgoblin; The Bear; Porters Black.
Both to be found upon: Greyfriars.

Lizards. (Has now closed, and is turning into Temptations, which will apparently be a lap-dancing club.
Quite small for a club, has an average sized bar, a moderate dance floor area near the back, which slightly annoyingly you have to walk through to get to the toilets, which are themselves really too small. Live bands often play there, on Fridays and Saturdays, which means the quality of the music can be variable. The non-live music tends towards the rock end of the market. Always a friendly and altogether pleasant atmosphere to be found. Is free before 11, and the beer is more or less at pub price level, so a cheapish night out can be had.
Fairly similar to Esquires, although smaller, and perhaps not quite the same energetic atmosphere.
Recommended pubs: Porters Black; Hobgoblin; The Bear.
Tavistock Street.

The Mission.
Possibly the largest and currently the most popular club in Bedford, partially for its size, its location, and the type of music played there.
The entrance fee is fairly reasonable, and there are student nights on Mondays and Thursdays.
The music played there, is a mixture of drum & bass, dance, and a bit of cheese thrown in for good measure.
The drinks range from expensive, to very expensive; so don’t even bother about pints, unless you’re loaded.
Being one of the most popular place to go, there is a bit of a variety of people that go there, but is generally filled with young clubber types, on the pull.
The toilets are very clean and pleasant, although are slightly of putting, in that there is generally an attendant that constantly tries to flog you lollipops, and aftershave samples.
The building used to be a church, many years ago, which included a graveyard. The fact that whilst you’re queuing to get in, you have to stand by a load of gravestones, is a bit off-putting, and hardly something to put you into a party/dancing mood.
It does have a bit of a bad reputation, especially if one or two of the local papers are to be believed, in terms of violence outside and in.
Recommended pubs: Littern Tree; The George and Dragon; The Rose; the Circuit Bar.
Mill Street.

The Pad.
A very small club, with an incredibly small dance floor and bar. It does have the advantage of having a small room upstairs, that is sort of a chill out room to escape the noise of downstairs, so that you can actually talk to people and relax for a few minutes, just passed the toilets, (should be noted that this room is not always open, just on busy nights i.e. Friday, Saturday and Sunday).
Serves some slightly more unusual types of beer, although you should ask how much some of the more peculiar types are, before sampling, as they can be a touch on the expensive side.
The music although being fairly on the mainstream side, has become more on the alternative rock side of late, and can be considered to be a lighter option to Esquires.
There is a glass shelve situated on one wall by the side of the dance floor, which due it being situated just underneath a purple fluorescent light, has the rather unnerving effect of making any lager placed thereon, glow a disturbing green colour. This is certainly a fairly worrying thing to see when you have drunk a few, so be warned.
Have some incredibly friendly bouncers, which is always a pleasant and unusual surprise. A reasonable atmosphere, although can be a while before it picks up if you get there before 11.
Recommended pubs: The Rose; Littern Tree; Bar Soviet;
Lime Street.



Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A1029737

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Currently in:

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more