A Conversation for h2g2 Announcements

Monday 16th December - 2014 h2g2 Annual Meet

Post 181

Pierre de la Mer ~ sometimes slightly worried but never panicking ~

Machestrian vodka smiley - huh

Oh well, they say over here you should try anything at least once - except incest and folk dancing smiley - whistle

smiley - pirate

Post 182

pebblederook-The old guy wearing surfer beads- what does he think he looks like?

I agree with that thought. Incest and folk dancing should definitely be tried more than once smiley - laugh

Post 183

the_jon_m - bluesman of the parish

one tends to go hand in hand with the other

Post 184

Milla, h2g2 Operations

Now, now...

Post 185

I'm afraid I have been somewhat misunderstood smiley - erm

smiley - pirate

Post 186

MMF - Keeper of Mustelids, with added P.M.A., is now in a relationship.

Now't wrong with Folk Dancing. Loads of smiley - ale, smiley - tongueoutsmiley - whistle and welching!

Never tried incest.

Don't want to.

MMF

smiley - musicalnote

smiley - musicalnote

Post 187

Pastey

I'm from the Fens, folk dancing and incest are the norm out there smiley - winkeye

Post 188

Florida Sailor All is well with the world

If only my sister was cuter, I did have a red-headed cousin that tempted me. Have you read my Entry A87802013 ?

smiley - blushsmiley - handcuffssmiley - pony

F smiley - dolphin S

Post 189

Indeed, FS. And both played and danced it on many an occasion

A fine folk (or barn dance) staple, along with Dashing White Sargeant and the Gay Gordons, showing the transition of popular upper class dancing to the working class.

smiley - love it. Which is why I find it so hard to understand the English attitude of derision to Folk Dancing when it was taking something from the elite and giving it to the masses, or from dancing, in the likes of barn dances and either both or either dancing and begging, purely as a means of surviving no work.

smiley - weird

MMF

smiley - musicalnote

Post 190

Pastey

I think the problem people see in folk dancing, is Morris Dancing.

Which in itself is weird as I quite like watching it smiley - biggrin

Post 191

Some people tend to frown upon folk dancing at home, but once they come abroad they can't have enough of flamenco, samba, lambada and what have you smiley - shrug

smiley - pirate

Post 192

Icy North

When flamenco dancers start skipping around waving hankies and walloping the audience with a pig's bladder on a stick, you'll understand.

Post 193

Just Bob aka Robert Thompson, plugging my film blog cinemainferno-blog.blogspot.co.uk

I can't deny it, a good barn dance or ceilidh is brilliant fun. Last summer, my parents arranged one as part of their joint 60th birthday celebrations.

Post 194

Dr Anthea - ah who needs to learn things... just google it!

scottish dance was a required class at our school every christmas...
I think if I were to actually try it i probably could still dance most of the steps...

Post 195

The best times I've had with Morris sides are at Ales.

These are where a number of Morris sides (the proper name for a team of Morris Dancers) are invited by a side for a day of Dance, often at local Public House, followed by a meal (or Ale), where the smiley - ale flows, as does the food, banter etc. This is usually followed by either demonstrations from the invited sides, or a Barn Dance.

Some do have Ceilidhs, but these are unusual, as it is often only dancing, and rarely singing. That usually follows after the official dance, usually spontaneously, and often bawdy.

If you get invited to one, go. You are almost guaranteed a good time.

smiley - cheers

And keep those sticks thwacking!

MMF

smiley - musicalnote

Post 196

2legs - Hey, babe, take a walk on the wild side...

We had goth morris dancers, in Cambridge, back in the summer... that was a cnocept I really coudln't get my head round (err, may have been at cam beer fest, or strawberry fair, or both, or at... err something else... Guivder st party maybe... err, or soemthing) smiley - weirdsmiley - diva
I used to enjoy 'barn dancing' when I were a lad... the few times we did it anyhow smiley - wah
the few people I used to know, who were 'into' 'folk dancing', of, I think mainly the Moris kind, all claimed* to be 'in it' for the 'social' bits... by which they meant the drinking smiley - laughsmiley - ale

Post 197

It is one of the more enjoyable aspects, 2legs.

The songs aren't bad either.

Quite like 'Hunting the Bonny Black Hare', by Fairport Convention.

Caution. Lyrics are bawdy and may offend.

http://www.lyricsmode.com/lyrics/f/fairport_convention/bonny_black_hare_lyrics.html

MMF

smiley - musicalnote

Post 198

2legs - Hey, babe, take a walk on the wild side...

smiley - coolsmiley - musicalnote had a soft-spot for Fairport since my childhood, but .. really not listented to them in decades (over exposure to the likes of Tull and fairport in my youth perhaps, in one group of friends I was in)...

Mind, I am so smiley - envy as one of my best firends now, got to appear on a recent fairport album (no I can't recall which one), He's known em for years, and was asked to do some (I think) English horn, or trumpet, or some other brass bits on it smiley - envysmiley - musicalnote

Post 199

I saw them a handful of years ago in the small town of Nakskov not far from here. Quite nice. You could tell that they had practiced for many years but they did not seem tired of touring in any way, it was a very cozy event smiley - smiley

smiley - pirate

Post 200

You can call me TC

Fairport Convention. My first ever gig. 1972 at the Corn Exchange in Cambridge.

By the way, I'm beginning to think I might not make it to Manchester after all. Don't hold your breaths.

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more