A Conversation for h2g2 Announcements

Monday 16th December - 2014 h2g2 Annual Meet

Post 221

Milla, h2g2 Operations

Got confused. Why would you see people in cat flaps?
smiley - towel

Post 222

Lanzababy - Guide Editor

You got me really confused there for a moment, Milla smiley - laugh

But, seriously, some of the members of this society [The Flat Cap and Muffler Soc] are still around. A732458

Post 223

2legs - Hey, babe, take a walk on the wild side...

We had some interesting curry meets (beer may have been involved), with the flat cap and muffler societiet, when I lived in Manc smiley - laughsmiley - erm hmm.... though now I think about it, I can't remember many of the details smiley - drunksmiley - doh

Post 224

dragonqueen - eternally free and forever untamed - insomniac extraordinaire - proprietrix of a bullwhip, badger button and (partly) of a thoroughly used sub with a purple collar. Matron of Honour.

That strong curru, uh? smiley - winkeye

smiley - dragon

Post 225

I do recall the curry being pretty damn good in Manchester, and the kebabs being some of the best I've ever had (they're all, err, I'll get it wrong, halal? err, the one that isn't cosha ... err, neither words of which I can seem to spel smiley - blush ) smiley - doh

Mind, I do recall when I was there, that Boddingtons seemed to be about the only beer most places did smiley - yuksmiley - illsmiley - weird oh, and Kingfisher and Cobra, of course, in the curry takeaways smiley - laughsmiley - doh

ooo... and sausage and chips was so* cheap (well, compaired to here, down south ) smiley - blushsmiley - 2cents mmmm... pizza...t hat was cheap too... and the vodka... the vodka was so* cheap... smiley - erm how on earth did I manage to finish my MSc thesis/dissertation, with such distractions in my way smiley - laughsmiley - snorksmiley - blushsmiley - scientist ahh... I had a younger and less world-worn liver back then smiley - snorksmiley - geeksmiley - scientistsmiley - drunk

Post 226

Titania (gone for lunch)

Curry and kebab? Didn't try either of those at the previous Manchester meet, must remember to try them this year...

Post 227

smiley - bigeyes *faints*
I didn't think it was allowed to go to Manchester and not* eat a curry! I'm sure there is some ancient local law regarding the very issue! smiley - sillysmiley - drool A curry on the pre-meet meet night, perhaps...? smiley - droolsmiley - blush

Post 228

Pierre de la Mer ~ sometimes slightly worried but never panicking ~

Yep, it's an ancient law. Introduced by Djengis Khan the last time he visited Manchester. A Wednesday, if memory serves smiley - geeksmiley - book

smiley - pirate

Post 229

And, don't forget, it was also Djengis Khan, whom, as the inventor of the kebab, brought the fabled donna kebab, to Manchester; Though, of course, it was origionally called the Djengis kebab, and was goat, not lamb; but well, I guess it just changed throughout the years smiley - zensmiley - sheep

In fact, I think the Djengis Khan kebab house and BBQ grill which he opened, is sitll on Oxford Street... just a bit up from the Cro Bar, on the right hand side smiley - zensmiley - whistle mmmmm... kebabs in proper wraps, rahter than the stupid cheap rubbish pita bread they try to fob you off which, here, in the South... smiley - drool damnit... I've not had a kebab since.... err, early last year or the end of the year before, and now I really fancy one smiley - drool
Right.
That sorts out what I'm getitng from the butchers tomorrow... I've always wanted to try homemade donna kebabs, it can't* be that hard... surely.... hmmm.... well, I can just make the wrap, or decent* pitta myself... salad is easy enough... chilli sauce can't be hard to quickly make... and the donna... without a spit... oo... I'm imagining some kind of ... err... sort of making a 'meat roll', out of minced/shreaded lamb, or h chicken, and then ... wrapped in foil, and baked... so it retains all* of the fat... and stays suculent.... maybe with some herbs and chilli in it... and paprika.... and... hmmm. I feel we've gone off topic a little bit again smiley - biggrinsmiley - sorrysmiley - run

Post 230

MMF - Keeper of Mustelids, with added P.M.A., is now in a relationship.

The Palace was the place to go for Curry. Only two choices, I seem to recall.

Suicide and Killer.

Best after eleven teen + pints of Thwaites or Wilsons, the main smiley - ale in the late '70's. Boddies was ok and better than Wilsons.

Ah. The good old days…

MMF

smiley - musicalnote

Post 231

Thwaites.... smiley - drool Are they still going? Not seen them anywhere in years smiley - crysmiley - droolsmiley - alesmiley - drool

Post 232

MMF - Keeper of Mustelids, with added P.M.A., is now in a relationship.

Still Brewing.
Four main brews are Original, Lancaster Bomber, Nutty Black (numerous pun) and Wainwright.
11 other seasonal brews.
These are all cask ales.

The one I miss is Thwaites Craftsman.

MMF

smiley - musicalnote

Post 233

Four main brews sound familiar.... ahhh.. I remember, I bought a mixed case, of those four, (three bottles of each, quite probably), years* ago and thought them rahter good, but I recally can't ever recall seeing their beers on in a pub smiley - sadfacesmiley - wahsmiley - ale

Post 234

Icy North

I've seen Wainwright in Sainsburys, locally (Surrey)

Post 235

Pastey

Hate to disappoint you all, but the curry in Manchester these days is awful smiley - sadface

Post 236

And Wainwright is dead smiley - erm

smiley - pirate

Post 237

Pastey

The beer isn't, it's Thwaites flagship beer now and in all of their pubs and a lot of the freehouses too.

Post 238

Phew, that's a relief smiley - brave

smiley - pirate

Post 239

The curry isn't any good any more?! smiley - cry but the beer is smiley - magicsmiley - headhurts How about the kebabs? smiley - grovelsmiley - blush

Post 240

Just Bob aka Robert Thompson, plugging my film blog cinemainferno-blog.blogspot.co.uk

I do think it depends on where you go. I lament the fact that the 'Curry Mile' now has very few curry restaurants on it. They are all fried chicken, burger and kebab places, some of which do pizzas too.
There's still Lahore Cafe though, which is very nice, and Lal Qila where I stopped off last night for some samosas on the way home from the pub.

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more