A Conversation for h2g2 Announcements

Monday 16th December - 2014 h2g2 Annual Meet

Post 161

2legs - Hey, babe, take a walk on the wild side...

Unless.... blurred edges... lack of focus... smiley - zensmiley - zensmiley - zensmiley - zensmiley - grovelsmiley - zen

Post 162

Pastey

And parts of Salford pretending they're in Manchester, in the same way that parts of Manchester pretend they're in Cheshire smiley - biggrin

Post 163

Secretly Not Here Any More

"To be honest, there's a heck of a blur between the lines of the edges of Salford these days."

The river's a bloody big giveaway.

Post 164

Bald Bloke

River ?

Oh you mean the Sh** Canal!!

Post 165

Not just that. The historic border between Salford and Manchester is the River Irwell.

We just dug the Quays and the Bridgewater and Ship Canals to protect our southern border from the encroachment of Mancunian satellite towns like Trafford and Stretford.

Bits of the Bridgewater canal are quite nice for a walk actually. The bit in Manc takes you down the locks and past Old Trafford. You then get the industrial horror of Trafford Park, the urban decay of Eccles, and finally a nice picturesque stroll through historic Worsley village followed by a feed and a few pints at The Moorings in Boothstown.

You can then carry on towards the Wigan borough of Astley and the old Colliery (I think there's a museum) then Pennington Flash, or wander up from The Moorings to my house. If you were invited.

Which you aren't.

Post 166

(Obviously I'm talking about the proper bit of the Bridgewater Canal, not the bit that takes you through Sale and Altrincham and all that crap.)

Post 167

Pastey

I've updated the page A87821535 to list those that have said they're coming. If you've not signed up yet, why not? smiley - winkeye

Post 168

Amy Pawloski, aka 'paper lady'--'Mufflewhump'?!? click here to find out... (ACE)

'Cause there's an ocean and a continent in the waysmiley - tongueout

Post 169

Pastey

That's not stopping *some* people smiley - tongueout

Post 170

Amy Pawloski, aka 'paper lady'--'Mufflewhump'?!? click here to find out... (ACE)

Distinct lack of smiley - 2cents as well...

Post 171

Pastey

Yeah, that's one reason I'm organising it in my home town smiley - winkeye

Post 172

smiley - laugh

Doubt something like that would work for mesmiley - winkeye

Post 173

Oo, who wants to commiserate with me? Come to http://h2g2.com/entry/A87821535/conversation/view/F22139795/T8307298/page/1/

Post 174

MMF - Keeper of Mustelids, with added P.M.A., is now in a relationship.

Hmmmmmm.

Thinks.

Thinks.

Thinks.

Well. The date is free. Just a question of free smiley - 2cents.

Salford or Manchester?
Makes a big difference on costs.

smiley - cheers

MMF

smiley - musicalnote

Post 175

Pastey

There's little difference other than hotels in the Quays tend to be a touch cheaper. But then there's travel to add to it. smiley - smiley

Post 176

MMF - Keeper of Mustelids, with added P.M.A., is now in a relationship.

Currently £100 over two nights, between Ibis Portland or Princess Street, and Ibis Salford Quays.

But, as you say, depends on transport links and costs.

Will check it out. Too early for train bookings.

smiley - cheers

MMF

smiley - musicalnote

Post 177

Pastey

The Budget Ibis (Accorhotels http://www.accorhotels.com ) has two nights for £75 at the moment. Short walk to the tram stop into town.

Post 178

Just Bob aka Robert Thompson, plugging my film blog cinemainferno-blog.blogspot.co.uk

I can't imagine travel within the Manchester area going above £20 for the whole weekend put together, unless you are coming in from Wigan or Preston or something.

Post 179

Pastey

If you buy a weekend travelcard after 6pm on a Friday it gives you unlimited travel on the tram network for £5.80

We do this quite often to go visit pubs in the other suburbs smiley - winkeye

Post 180

2legs - Hey, babe, take a walk on the wild side...

Last time I was in Manchester, albeit about a decade ago now, it was the cheapest place I'd ever come across for things like taxis, the trams etc... and vodka... I defiantely remember the vodka being cheap... really cheap... really cheap vodka... and taxis, I think... or am I getting the vodka confused with the taxis... It took a lot of taxis, or vodka, can't remember which, to write up my masters dissertation/thesis thing...

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more