A Conversation for h2g2 Announcements

Monday 16th December - 2014 h2g2 Annual Meet

Post 241

Titania (gone for lunch)

Determined to have the first real curry in the UK, I consulted the guide, and found a place close to the hotel I was staying at during one of the London meets; The Modhubon.

And yes, it was smiley - drool

The entry?
http://www.h2g2.com/dna/h2g2/classic/A123823

Post 242

Titania (gone for lunch)

But I'm slightly worried about no good curries to be had in Manchester?

Post 243

2legs - Hey, babe, take a walk on the wild side...

They may well be better htan what you had in London... Though I don't know that particular Indian, in general, I've found takeaways and resturants of Indian food, are, in broad terms, generally better in the North than the South, or indeed South-East smiley - zen I performed quite extensive research on this, circa 1993 to 2009... Actually... maybe its time to re-research them all again... I mean, they might have changed smiley - winkeyesmiley - blush

OH... I Can't believe the curry mile has vanished smiley - cry (I lived right next to it, sort of ...) smiley - wahsmiley - drool

Post 244

Pastey

Bob, I'd *love* to find a decent curry in the city centre, where would you recommend?

Post 245

Just Bob aka Robert Thompson, plugging my film blog cinemainferno-blog.blogspot.co.uk

It depends how much you are willing to pay. If I go to one of the handful of remaining places on the Mile for a sit-in meal, I can get a main with race and a pint of beer, and possibly a chapati or share of a naan (assuming I am with others, which is a pretty safe bet), plus a small gratuity, for around £12 total. You can't get that anywhere near the city centre.
However, if you have £25-30 to throw at it, East z East ( http://eastzeast.com/ ) and Akbar's ( http://www.akbars.co.uk/ )are both of a considerably higher quality, although I still don't think they quite justify it. The Akbar's I know is just opposite the Museum of Science of Industry, and East z East on the ground floor of the Ibis Hotel right next to where the BBC building used to be, but I believe that both have multiple branches (I think one of them has a place in the Northern Quarter, for instance).
The thing is, both of these are reasonably well-known places, so I have to assume that when you pronounce that there are no good curry places any more in Manchester, it includes having been to these places and found them wanting.

On the regional question, I have on several occasions had a hankering for curry like that available in Manc while I was down in Essex. Most recently, I went to a restaurant with my brother and a friend just before Christmas. I found, in general, that they were less to my taste, and especially, that they were often terribly *sweet*. What's that all about?

Post 246

Secretly Not Here Any More

"Bob, I'd *love* to find a decent curry in the city centre, where would you recommend?"

Akbar's for starters. You just can't book, and it's a bit hectic on a Saturday night, but it's top quality.

Other than that, the city's still got loads of good curry houses. If you know where to look.

http://www.manchesterconfidential.co.uk/Food-and-Drink/Indian/

Arbitrarily deciding there aren't any good curry houses because you can't find one in "The City Centre" is a silly thing to do anyway as it completely and utterly ignores Rusholme. It'd be like saying there aren't any good pubs because you get off the tram at Deansgate Locks and aren't prepared to wander to the Northern Quarter.

Post 247

Pastey

I've been to several in Rusholme / Curry Mile and found them all to be what an old friend of mine called "tourist curry." Which is basically lots of way too sweet sauce and you spend half your meal playing "Where's the meat and veg?"

I found East z East to be the same, but I've not been to Akbars yet.

There was a good curry house just off Canal Street for a while, lasted about a year I think, where you could actually see and tell what the ingredients were and the curry sauce was that.

I'm afraid I find curries where it's more like a soup to be disappointing. smiley - erm

I think I was spoiled as a kid because that old friend used to look after me and my brother after school, and she was from Goa and an excellent cook smiley - drool

Post 248

Just Bob aka Robert Thompson, plugging my film blog cinemainferno-blog.blogspot.co.uk

Like I said, Lahore Cafe ( http://www.mylahore.co.uk/ ) on the Curry Mile is the one that was recommended to me by my friends from Pakistani families. I have found it to be very nice, and slightly below average price too. It's not great to rock up to and expect to be served though, there's usually a wait for a table because of its popularity. I tend to order takeaway and either collect or have it delivered.
Also, I gather they don't actually specialize in curries, they tend to do other things mainly, but I tend to buy curry from them because that's what I like.

Post 249

Pastey

That looks pretty good Bob, I'll have to try it out.

The last one we went to was the Sindhoor in Whitefield (http://www.sindhoor.co.uk/south-indian-restaurant-manchester/) which certainly had tasty food.

Post 250

MMF - Keeper of Mustelids, with added P.M.A., is now in a relationship.

I personally believe the important part of finding a good curry house is:

a) Knowing the nationality of the type of cuisine.

b) Knowing the type of asian cuisine you enjoy and the nationality.

c) Trying a number of dishes and being adventurous. Sticking to beef norma is bound to cause some disappointment, depending on the chef.

From my experience c) can be vastly variable. My preferred dish is chicken madras. However the heat of a madras can vary from a norma to a vindaloo, with plenty or minimal meat in, and be strong on spice or awash with coconut.

For this reason I start with a madras, and will visit up to three occasions, trying varying dishes.

I hope that assists in the debate.

MMF

smiley - musicalnote

Post 251

Icy North

In my experience, every Indian restaurant in this country has English cuisine, cooked by Bangladeshis.

But the execution varies substantially.

Post 252

Here in London, the majority are Banglaseshi, but also Nepalese, Indian, from a variety of areas such as The Punjab, Goa etc, but it really does vary.

MMF

smiley - musicalnote

Post 253

In Manchester it's almost entirely Pakistani. Rusholme is a huge Pakistani area. You should see it at the Muslim festival of Eid: in a bizarre ritual replicated (as far as I can tell) nowhere else in the world, young people come from all over the North to drive up and down the Curry Mile very slowly, honking their horns and playing crappy music on huge car speakers until about 3 AM.

Post 254

Pastey

Leicester does it too, it's amazing smiley - biggrin

Post 255

You can call me TC

The Turkish moslems here in Germany celebrate it far more sedately. They are all out on the streets in their best clothes and look fabulous.

Post 256

the_jon_m - bluesman of the parish

the curry houses south of the curry mile -- Withington and Didsbury way are better than rusholme ... as are some of the city centre ones (I've been in some shockingly bland / touristy city centre ones).

A good tip is avoid the standards and look for specials and interesting things. Tikka Masala, Madras, Vindaloo, etc, can be hit and miss.

On flat caps, I know a few people who wear flat caps in Manchester, ALL of them moved up from London !

Post 257

I wear a flat cap and muffler daily, and why not.

Used to wear a trilby when at College in Manchester, as well as a flat cap, and a cravat.

Was called the 'soft, posh Southerner', not always as a term of endearment.

MMF

smiley - musicalnote

Post 258

Pierre de la Mer ~ sometimes slightly worried but never panicking ~

Is it okay to wear a completely inconspicuously looking middle of the road standard model Panama hat in Manchester these days?

smiley - pirate

Post 259

Milla, h2g2 Operations

In June, it should be.
smiley - towel

Post 260

Pastey

As long as the weather holds for it definitely.

Because I do smiley - biggrin

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more