A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Your Funeral Song

Post 1

Yelbakk

As a rip-off of what I heard on the radio the other day: What song or songs should be played for your own funeral, and why?

Y.

Your Funeral Song

Post 2

pdante'

Wagner's Ring Cycle He he hesmiley - biggrin

Your Funeral Song

Post 3

pdante'

only for the fact that it's 13 something hours long
either that or John Cages 4.33smiley - smiley

Your Funeral Song

Post 4

Kyrp the Wirp

hmm...
I think mine would have to be bohemian rhapsody, 1 - because it's my all time favourite song, and 2 - same reason as you, pdante, its long (tho thankfully not 13 hours!)

On a lighter note, what would you/did you have at your wedding reception as the bride and grooms first dance?

Your Funeral Song

Post 5

Madbeachcomber, I've done my spring cleaning, does that make me sad?

For my funeral 'Allways look on the bright side of life' or 'Alive and kicking'smiley - biggrin bring a smile to peoples faces.

Your Funeral Song

Post 6

Blackberry Cat , if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque

for my funeral 'Gloria', the Patti Smith version, mostly for the line 'Jesus died for somebodies sins but not mine'

Your Funeral Song

Post 7

Ridiculous Chicken† - a very absurd little bird

A lot of people these days say that they don't want their funeral to be an unhappy occasion... but I think it'd be cool to have one that's as dry as dust and very much satirically miserable. I will ask for the funeral director with the grimmest face and some of those methodist hymns that just go on... and on... and on...

Argh... something else to organise about my wedding (I'm engaged!)... but we have decided to go against tradition and NOT have a disco at our reception because Uncle Richard may have too much to drink and disgrace himself in front of that splendid old dragon Aunt Beryl! Discos at weddings bring out the worst in everyone! Still thinking of a song though...

Your Funeral Song

Post 8

pedro

I think 'Street Spirit' by Radiohead, surely there wouldn't be a dry eye in the church. I want people to be *devastated* at my funeral.smiley - smiley

Your Funeral Song

Post 9

U1250369

I Will Survive - Gloria Gaynor. That should fool em.

Your Funeral Song

Post 10

Belmatt Guardian of the string vest, weilder of the towel of terror

"you'll never walk alone"

&

"something about mary" - Wyclef

it's about growing ur own.......

Your Funeral Song

Post 11

Number Six

My housemate will settle for nothing less than 'Too Drunk to F***' by the Dead Kennedys.

Me, I'd go for 'Atmosphere' by Joy Division.

Just from that, people might conclude that we were goths, but I assure you, we're not smiley - zen

smiley - mod

Your Funeral Song

Post 12

Atom_boy

id say: the funeral march, but i'd also would like something cheerfull. Burn Baby Burn; Disco Inferno or something :P

i could also live with a traditional viking funeral, burning ship and all...we could skip the female slave that would burn with me though...

Your Funeral Song

Post 13

BobTheFarmer

The band Pennywise had a song called Bro Hymn Tribute, it was written when their bassist died, featuring them, loadsa mates and family...

Id like something similar if I died, all my mates who are musical or in bands to write the tune, all my other mates to come along and sing(your gonna need a big hall). I want everyone to get drunk, mashed and high and celebrate my life by having my funeral the way I lived my life... Off of their heads!!!

Your Funeral Song

Post 14

Zantic - Who is this woman??

Have't thought about this for years. My family had a conversation along these lines many moons ago and it came out as follows

Me - Who wants to live forever? - Queen (although if someone came up with a less maudlin version I'd have that as it's the sentiment that I like, not the drawn out weep)

Mum - Love of my life - Queen (it's her favorite song)

Dad - Man of the World - Peter Green (He want's everyone to get really depressed and slit their wrists)

can't remember what my sister wanted. Bad sister that I am.

I think I'd probably change my choice now, mainly because my musical horizons have widened greatly in the last few years. Don't actually know what I'd choose, haven't thought about it. But possibly something by Joe Jackson or Dave Matthews. I want folks up and grooving in the aisles of the Crem.

One thing I wouldn't do is choose something depressing - a friend of the family chose Mahler for his daughters funeral and the funeral was in an abbey. She was only 18 and the funeral was bad enough without having to sit for 15 or so minutes beforehand listening to the most depressing music in the world. (personal opinion, I know.)

Zantic smiley - dragon

Your Funeral Song

Post 15

Also Ran1-hope springs eternal

Hi dearest Zantic smiley - dragon

I also want a very happy memorial mass. I have asked the parish organist to please play happy jolly hymms/ There won't me at the memorial service. I have left my mortal remains for diessection - unless they think that it is too much of a bad thing!. I consider that I really am a medical marvel and it would be a pity to waste all the surgeons efforts to mend the different parts of me !!

I was so amxious this evening. I could not go outside in my wheelchair - I very nearly came off the pavement yesterday when I tried it because the wheels went through the snow and then slid on the ice. a thoroughly unnerving feeling. K.'s phone was out of order and it was 8 p.m. and all the lights were out. Anyway I phoned frantically all around. Eventually the lass who comes to massage my legs(to improve the circulation - I have an incipient varicose ulcer which we have managed to keep at bay!!) twice a week arrived and she went in. He was defintely not himself. He had made such a remarkable recovery and today he was very distrait. What a dreadful illness.

Hope you have recovered from your lapa roscopy? and that the news was gtood.

Sweet dreams my smiley - love
also Ran1 smiley - schooloffish

Your Funeral Song

Post 16

DA ; Simply Vicky: Don't get pithy with me!

Hello, Also Ran1, I hope you are feeling a bit better after your accident...

We chose a few Elton John songs for my brother's funeral. For mine, I'd like to have some of the music from Holst's Planet Suite, and maybe some Moody Blues... Tuesday Afternoon, some of the songs from 'To Our Childrens Childrens Children'...

For his wedding, my son chose Spandau Ballet, and if I was to re-marry, I probably would as well.

Your Funeral Song

Post 17

SnowWhite

Hey Chip; "I will survive" I love that! smiley - smiley
I was actually just thinking of this the other day and the song is on the tip of my tongue; I hate that!
"Stand by Me" is nice, I love the "Ave Maria", that Stones song about the devil, "Please to meet you, don't you forget my naaaame" is cool in an odd way. Maybe "Annie's song" by John Denver just because I love it and people may associate me with it..........
I could think of a million more I'm sure; I love music; and your death really is your last "hurrah"
Wedding songs; for the bride and groom we had "A whole new wold" the actually Aladdin/Disney soundtrack one; too bad the whole new world he's shown me is not flying horses..........
the bridal party song was "That's Amore" Dean Martin
Another lovely wedding song is Broken Arrow; Rod Stewart and Everything I do from Robin Hood by Bryan Adams. and again,"Stand by Me' by Ben E King. (I really love that song)
When a Man loves a woman is probably the best thing to play though; let him know right off!
To whoever is getting married; I hope your planning together; not just you doing it all............I hope you've thought long and hard to my dear; marry in haste repent in leisure and all; if so, CONGRATULATIONS and MAY YOU ALWAYS BE AS IN LOVE AS YOU ARE NOW!

Your Funeral Song

Post 18

~ jwf ~ scribblo ergo sum

I wasn't planning to have a funeral but now y'all got me to thinking how I might be missing out on something here...

Yeah, "All Along the Watchtower" the Jimi Hendrix version.

~jwf~

Your Funeral Song

Post 19

~:*-Venus-*:~

I'm going to have 'Play dead' by Bjork. For some reason its seems like a good parting gesture....keep em all guessing! smiley - evilgrin

Your Funeral Song

Post 20

Also Ran1-hope springs eternal

What a wonderful choice!! smiley - biggrin

I shall have to listen to it and see if I like it!!

Also Ran1 smiley - schooloffish

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more