A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Your Funeral Song

Post 61

Beatrice

Just remembered one I want at my funeral:

I'll build a Stairway to Paradise, by George Gershwin.

A song about the joys of dancing smiley - cool

Your Funeral Song

Post 62

azahar

"Robbie's Angels, Sinatra's My Way and Queen's Who Wants to Live Forever are among the top choices of songs played at funerals. Putting aside what it says about the nation's musical tastes, is this the dumbing down of death?"

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/4335857.stm

az

Your Funeral Song

Post 63

Zak T Duck

Must've been no news if we managed to influence both Magazine and Radio Five Live's late night show last Thursday. smiley - laugh

Your Funeral Song

Post 64

DA ; Simply Vicky: Don't get pithy with me!

Indeed!

Your Funeral Song

Post 65

Mr Jack

The Title Music From A Clockwork Orange.
Followed by either
System Of A down > 'Chop Suey'
or
Disturbed > 'Down With The Sickness'
depended on wether I'd killed my self or died of illness/age.
And then
Queen > 'Bicycle'
to finish off.

Your Funeral Song

Post 66

Ford_Prefect "I reject your reality and substitute my own!"Apocalypse 2006 REPRESENT!

Id want our HS jazzband to play for me...
Tbone boogie
500 Miles High.. (How appropriate)
Garden of Babalon
uh....
OH! Pick up the Pieces!!!
Spain
And anything from Seal!
Im a Jazz nut...
Cheers
fordsmiley - cheers

Your Funeral Song

Post 67

Farlander

When my time comes I want to make sure that all who attend my funeral will be properly confused. I'll start by getting them depressed with Mozart's Requiem in D minor (K626 - yes, the famous unfinished one) and Philip Glass' 'Window of Appearances' from his opera Akhenaten. Then I'll get everybody confused with Canadian Brass' 'The Saints' Hallelujah' (which is an upbeat mishmash of 'When the Saints Come Marching In' and Handel's 'Hallelujah Chorus', and is my #1 favourite brass quintet piece. I'd love it for my quintet to play for me, but they'd have to find a substitute trombonist, so a CB recording will suffice). The service will close with a Pet Shop Boys song, since I'm a huge fan of their music, although I haven't decided if I want 'Shameless' or 'A Red Letter Day' yet. Ah well, there's still time...

Your Funeral Song

Post 68

pffffft

Someone earlier in this thread suggested 'Atmosphere'. Excellent choice only I wouldn't have the Joy Division one, mine would be the Russ Abbott song of the same name.

Ideally there would also be free helium balloons and novelty pirate hats.

Your Funeral Song

Post 69

Dr E Vibenstein (You know it is, it really is.)

Ideally, I'd like the Russ Abbot song sung in the style of Joy Division. smiley - biggrin

Your Funeral Song

Post 70

I am Donald Sutherland

The Largo from the Second Movement of Dvorák's New World Symphony - Going Home.

Donald

Your Funeral Song

Post 71

fords - number 1 all over heaven

I want a great song by a little known Scots punk band called Nerve. It's called "F**k off and Die" smiley - biggrin

Your Funeral Song

Post 72

The Nitpicker

Patti Smith's version of Gloria - couldn't agree more! Excellent choice. Probably combined with Mariam Mwapu by Remmy Ongala or MacBrides by Moving Hearts both of which I have seen played live so many times I can not even begin to think exactly how many!

Last funeral I went to (friend of MANY years standing, died tragically young) we started with the music that was the theme to the Hitchhiker's Guide which was absolutely perfect for him!

Your Funeral Song

Post 73

Yelbakk

I just heard a nice tune on the radio that I might want to hear at my funeral: The Eels - Hey man, now you're really living.

Y.

Your Funeral Song

Post 74

alfonts

Well, the wind up would have to be Billy Joel's 'Summer Highland falls', and it would have to end with the Cat Empier's 'Protons, Neutrons, Electrons' (i don't know if anyone outside of Australia , or even Melbourne, knows of them, but if you don't go find them I reccomend 'Sly', 'two shoes' and 'Sol Y Sombra' to get your taste in).

Your Funeral Song

Post 75

Galaxy Babe - eclectic editor

"Annie's Song" by John Denver
"Flying Without Wings" by Westlife

and finally

"Fly" by Celine Dion

Your Funeral Song

Post 76

plaguesville

G B

John Denver
Westlife
Celine Dion

That's because you wouldn't have to listen to them, right?

Removed

Post 77

This post has been removed.

Your Funeral Song

Post 78

Just as an observation, has anyone else in this thread taken the p*ss out of someone's funeral song choices?

or am I being a tad sensitive?

smiley - cry

Your Funeral Song

Post 79

plaguesville

G B,

Sorry if I offended your sensibilities.

I took my lead from postings 2, 3, & 4. They seemed to set the tone nicely but it's not always easy to tell who's joking.
I missed the removed posting, as always seems to be the case. Rats!
My own contribution at post 54 is a serious choice but with a frivolous rider.
There are a few things which I take seriously, but the disposal of my body once I've finished with it (or vice versa) is not one such.

May I invite you to dance on my grave?
No, I'm not being buried at sea.
smiley - biggrin

Your Funeral Song

Post 80

DA ; Simply Vicky: Don't get pithy with me!

I just saw Cat Empire on Rove on Friday. Brilliant!

Key: Complain about this post