A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Thread about things that are WRONG

Post 161

Captain_SpankMunki [Keeper & Former ACE] Thanking <Diety of choice> for the joy of Goo.

*runs away to the next topic*

Moore's law states that the _density_ of chips will double every 18 months.

Not the price, computing power or anything else that will fit a mis-quote.

Liam.

Post 162

rokdreemer.. lost in cyberspace.

You don't suppose there's a limit to that, do you? A point beyond which further density increases lead to irretrievable gravitional collapse?

Post 163

Captain_SpankMunki [Keeper & Former ACE] Thanking <Diety of choice> for the joy of Goo.

smiley - biggrin

I think he may have meant the density of components on the chip.

A lot of these statements and laws are useless without a shed-load of paperwork to explain them.

Moore never claimed that the law would be true all the way through the range. Law is the wrong word, axiom is closer.

Liam.

Post 164

Actually, I thought you had eliminated the computer issue in your post, but given the electronic aspect, the limit would probably be at the point when the components are so densely packed that they interfere with each other at an unpredictable quantum level. Then the chip becomes practically useless in computing.

Post 165

DA ; Simply Vicky: Don't get pithy with me!

We saw on an Aussie programme (John Safran's Music Jamboree, it's very funny smiley - rofl) that unless musicians have writing credit on songs, they make almost nothing from record sales. smiley - musicalnote That stinks!

Post 166

Do you mean performance credits don't count?

Post 167

JD

For most recording contracts, performance credits amount to very, very little $. This is why being a studio musician is more of a calling and a love-of-the-job sort of thing than a fame-and-fortune decision. Having said that, there exists the "upper-class" of the elite, in-demand studio musicians that have their own special fees, which can be quite lucrative - but they don't get any more or less $ based on record sales. Hence performance credits on a record amount to little more than advertising and promotion for the musicians in question. Whatever works!

- JD

Post 168

dasilva

The real way to make money out of music is to either be ( a ) the management - and loathed by everybody, or ( b ) the songwriter (who gets paid the same as the singer but doesn't have to fork out for tour busses, backing groups, lighting rigs, stadium hire, advertising, roadies, trashed hotel rooms and the like) smiley - winkeye

Post 169

The Groob

In all of human history, there has never been a documented case of death by piranha.

Post 170

The Groob

There is no one place known as the Kremlin. Moscow has one, but so do lots of Russian cities. In Russian, Kremlin means a citadel or fortress. Also, Moscow's Kremlin is not a specific building, but a complex within a large walled space.

Post 171

Really? Despite the adverts with piranha attacling people who haven't watched the Discovery channel... I am (almost)disappointed!smiley - laugh

Post 172

span(ner in the works) - check out The Forum A1146917 for some ace debate

apparently, i read today, female praying mantises do NOT eat the male after sex - the observation of this behaviour was made when the mantises had been (unnaturally) starved for some time. When they aren't starved, they do a nice little post-coital dance.

Post 173

Mu Beta

This sounds like the study that proved that crickets hear through their legs.

In the test sample, the crickets jumped up and down when a tuning fork was sounded nearby. However there was no response to this stimulus after the insects' legs had been removed.

smiley - erm

B

Post 174

smiley - laughsmiley - laughsmiley - laugh

Post 175

span(ner in the works) - check out The Forum A1146917 for some ace debate

yes i'm quite sure if someone ripped my legs off i wouldn't be worrying about that annoying tuning fork that wouldn't stop it's ceaseless vibrating.

quite apart from the logistics of jumping up and down without legs

Post 176

The Groob

Pub quiz question:

How many times did Elvis visit the UK?
Answer: Never

WRONG! Elvis stopped at Scotland en route to the US when he was in the army.

Post 177

I am Donald Sutherland

>> Weather - Whether <<

Nor forgetting Wether (a casterated ram)

Donald

Post 178

Not, certainly not forgetting the ram smiley - sheep poor Toyota...

Post 179

Spaceechik, Typomancer

I'll tell you what's wrong --- Kipling's "The Jungle Book" put on as a Disney ice show!!! Wrong in so many ways...... smiley - tongueout

SC

Post 180

Mycelium

Thread about things that are WRONG?

smiley - grr Israeli helicopter gunships firing missiles at a wheelchair bound Palestinian as he's leaving a mosque smiley - grr

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more