A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Thread about things that are WRONG

Post 141

Apparition™ (Mourning Empty the best uncle anyone could wish for)

you remember 1930 europe? bloggs

Post 142

Oetzi Oetztaler....Anti Apartheid

Appy my family wittnessed the events of those times.
Oetz

Post 143

23:00 Folks local
beepyes time
Good Night Sleep Tight
Oetz till morrow

Post 144

DA ; Simply Vicky: Don't get pithy with me!

>>I've tried living backwards and I don't seem to make any progress in past for some reason. One thing's for certain. It doesn't help me remember to take out the trash.<<
Living backwards.. it could be very useful, if you could skip parts! (I did mean Mars
smiley - martiansmile

Post 145

JD

In the spirit of the original thread topic:

An element with a longer radioactive half life is more dangerous than one with a shorter half life.

- JD

Post 146

DA ; Simply Vicky: Don't get pithy with me!

Good to be back on topic, JD. smiley - ok

Post 147

taken

But where is the wrong?

Post 148

JD

An element with a longer HL is not necessarily more dangerous than one with a shorter one. smiley - cheers

- JD

Post 149

Nice Meeting...see you around the cosmos sometime.
Bye Oetz

Post 150

ah ha, but wouln't that be subjective?

Which is more dangerous, a harmful substance or a less harmful substance that hangs arround twice as long?

answer: depends on how you look at it.

Post 151

Captain_SpankMunki [Keeper & Former ACE] Thanking <Diety of choice> for the joy of Goo.

Depends in which way they are dangerous.

An alpha emitter with a half life of (this is just an example physics smiley - geeks) 20 years is much less dangerous than a gamma emitter with a half life of 40 seconds.

Liam.

Post 152

yes but you'd only have to avoid the gamma emitter for 80 seconds. That's what I mean by it being subjective.

Post 153

Captain_SpankMunki [Keeper & Former ACE] Thanking <Diety of choice> for the joy of Goo.

Erm. No. After 80 seconds a quarter of the material would still be radioactive.

Liam.

Post 154

dasilva

And if you swallowed the alpha emitter you'd be pretty much done for - gamma rays have enough energy to pass through you, alphas don't, hence if they do get inside you...seyonara

It's why they don't allow food and drink in school science labssmiley - winkeye

Post 155

"Erm. No. After 80 seconds a quarter of the material would still be radioactive."

smiley - tongueout you know what I mean

I'm still in a 96hour monday

Post 156

rokdreemer.. lost in cyberspace.

Nuclear Physics 101 Notes:

Gamma radiation is ionizing. Ionization destroys tissue, proteins and such. You will not survive exposure to gamma radiation for very long. You can shield yourself from Alpha radiation however.

The question of the relative harm done by low level,long term as opposed to intense short term radiation sources is resolved by recognizing that long term sources kill slowly while intense short term sources kill right away.

The first will affect your longevity and your progeny. The second will affect your longevity but you probably won't have any progeny subsequent to exposure unless you can pursuade yourself that something resembling mutant mucus might be progeny.

The upshot is don't mess with nuclear physics moron!! It's not a genie liberated from a lamp. It's a monstrocity waiting to obliterate life as we know it. It's a peek at the universe before life could survive in it. It's bad dope!

Post 157

JD

smiley - erm Didn't mean to cause a stir. smiley - sorry I shoud've known better than to post that sort of thing around here in the first place.

Anyway, I'm glad that my point was well-taken - that a radioactive element's danger to humans (or life in general) is dependent on much more than just it's half life, a fact that escapes many lay people (no elitist mentality here, it used to escape me too, until I started studying it in college - it is, after all, nuclear physics smiley - winkeye). Other such factors of critical (heh) importance are the afore-mentioned type of radiation the nuclide is decaying with (alpha, beta, gamma, neutron - usually a combination thereof) and the relative energies of the decay particles (which can change drastically in the presence of other types of radiation or radioactive elements). Chemical properties as well as nuclear properties of the element can even have a drastic effect on the human body, too. If the element is likely to stay in the human body a long time and be concentrated in an area of the body, more damage can be done. I was just trying to say that touting an element's half life as an expression of it's danger is, in turn, dangerously misleading.

Ok, now I'm lecturing again. I hate it when I do that. smiley - grr By the way, I don't think people that mess with nuclear physics are "morons," but maybe I'm a little biased there.

To continue as we were, one could simply mine most of snopes.com for more stuff - I'm trying to think of something more original though.

Ok, here's something that's wrong: super-wealthy rock musicians make most of their money from record sales (they don't, the vast majority of their income is from tours, though there are a few exceptions). smiley - ok

- JD

Post 158

One last one and we can leave the nuclear physics alone smiley - biggrin

>alpha, beta, gamma, neutron

beta = neutron, also alpha = helium nuclei, and gamma = high energy EM radiation.

Liam.

Post 159

TripQ

We can leave the nuclear physics when we get it right.

beta = electrons

(Well, beta- = electrons, if you want to be pedantic. beta+ = positrons).

Post 160

Dang nabbit.

Liam.

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more