A Conversation for Ask h2g2

How/Why did you choose your nickname?

Post 161

SEF

You could just translate the concept of your name into one of Tolkien's invented languages. For example, "Narthoron" would be Sindarin (grey/western-elvish) for "fire eagle".

Post 162

Elentari

Great idea, but how do you do it. My version of the book does have the elvish etc letters, did you just use those?

Post 163

SEF

I'm quite interested in linguistics (real and imaginary) so I had bought a book where someone had collected together all the info Tolkien had given in his books (and possibly also from his private papers when he was first inventing the stuff). I put together that name for you from known existing components. However, it can be done randomly too. Long ago on a computer far far away (well actually packed in a box in another room), I wrote some software to create random names using statistical information on combining consonants and vowels to match any given source. The databases I designed for my programme included analyses of the Tolkien languages. smiley - weird

Post 164

Elentari

Wow! I had a look in the Appendices and found one I like "Elentari" meaning Queen of the Stars in Quenya (High Elvish). (Appendix E, page 1090 in my copy) I like it but I will have to think about the pros and cons of changing my name.

Anyway, thanks for looking that up for me.

Post 165

CMaster

when your name changes, it will change all over the guide, even as author of 5 year old articles and postings.

Post 166

SEF

Yes, the name does change automatically except where it has been mentioned in plain text - which can make some postings rather confusing later! It is also hard for friends to identify you after a name change. Commonly, both are put in the nickname for a while. For example, the "aka" (also known as) thing in the names of some people who have altered or multiple personae.

You could consider merely adding something to your existing Phoenix name to distinguish it from any others. NB "River Phoenix" would probably not be allowed for obvious reasons! However, you might like "Star Phoenix". This includes part of the Tolkien one you liked and implies you were reborn from the ashes of previous stars - which is very true and trendy right now (again!). So grab it while it's still available if you want it... smiley - run

Post 167

CMaster

[Fridge fades away]

Post 168

SEF

CMaster, how can you be the "author of 5 year old articles and postings" here when the site hasn't been up that long?! A27 was created on 19th Jan 1999 which is almost 4 years ago now but not 5. Perhaps it is a delayed effect of the millennium bug, having only just defrosted yourself from that fridge. smiley - biggrin

Post 169

clzoomer- a bit woobly

Perhaps he was part of the original? You know, the multi-media, part PDA, electronic, book-looking one with *Don't Panic* on the cover?

smiley - laugh

Post 170

Skankycode [bound for bed without dessert]

I taught myself how to write computer programs from books and Internet resources, but have not yet had the chance (i.e. can't be bothered) to actually read through any professional code and learn how to write nice and tidy-like. Therefore, anything more complicated than "Hello, world!" becomes a terrifying coagulation of poor logic, bad formatting, nonsensical variable names... and all with *no comments whatsoever*, of course.
I take pride in my failings. smiley - smiley

Post 171

clzoomer- a bit woobly

Hey, be proud! I can't even write *skanky* code!smiley - biggrin

Post 172

Huffers, compulsive lurker

sounds like my programs before I started uni smiley - biggrin

Post 173

McKay The Disorganised

McKay was my nick in all the PBM games I used to play - The Disorganised is because I used to think I was in charge, until I was shown rather dramatically I'm not.

McKay was because in one of the first games I played you could only have a 5 letter name - so my school nickname wouldn't fit. Still don't know where it came from though.......

smiley - cheerssmiley - tit

Post 174

CMaster

Sorry, I picked 5 years at random.
I thought that was about the age of the site though, and I've only been around for about 1 1/2 years.

Post 175

Elentari

I think I will go with Elentari - thanks for all the help everyone! smiley - smiley

Post 176

Saturnine

smiley - footprints

Post 177

Perry Winkle & pussfoots

I started out just as pussfoots, and went around the site meowing at various people. Later I wanted a little more depth, (and some more vocabulary) so I added Perry Winkle for the sole reason that I think it's rather clever. Pussfoots will probably be deleted at some point in the future... for lack of a point of reference smiley - blackcat

Post 178

GT

Many years ago, I used to cycle to work, past some Irish contractors, that were building a new road. They used to shout "GTX" at me, I assume because GTX is engine oil, & my pedaling was my engine smiley - laugh Anyhow, they also went to the same pub as me & my friends, we got talking and became friends, they dropped the X and I was know as GT, they gave us all nicknames, our real names were never used, I can only remember 1 of my friends names, Bev was, Miss Piggy.

smiley - surfer GT

Post 179

clzoomer- a bit woobly

I always thought with automobiles *GT* was Gran Tourismo or the Italian for a large touring car. *GTX* was for a luXury version of that. no?

Post 180

Saturnine

smiley - bigeyes

Key: Complain about this post