A Conversation for Ask h2g2

How/Why did you choose your nickname?

Post 81

Saturnine

Um. A little random, wasn't that?

Post 82

jaz'd(ace & yada yada *sigh* chocolate yada)

Addressed to me, Saturnine...probably not, gotta remember, its a forum...oops, did I actually type that? First thinking out loud, now typing out loud, so to speak smiley - winkeye.

Post 83

Coniraya

Not really Saturnine, Oliver Postgate was the creator of Noggin the Nog et al.

Post 84

Ridiculous Chicken† - a very absurd little bird

I chose my name because I always was a confused child!

Post 85

friendlywithteeth

smiley - footprints

Post 86

SEF

h2g2 already has a Bagpuss. I suppose I could have chosen Tiny Clanger. I nominated her in the alternative Great Britons debate and there were a few supporters. Nicknames aren't really my thing (though I do have a few alternate personae).

Post 87

clzoomer- a bit woobly

Has anyone ever chosen Bigglesworth, or Wendy, or Rikki-Tikki-Tavi, or Captain Nemo?

smiley - laugh

Post 88

Gnomon - time to move on

Using the Advanced Search at the top of the page, you can search for a "friend" and find any researchers with a particular name. There are seven registered researchers with Biggles in their name.

Post 89

Saturnine

Dammit.I wish I'd chosen Rikki-Tikki-Tavi. That was an excellent story...

What *is* Noggin the Nog anyway? Am I fantastically uncool, or just too young?

Post 90

Gnomon - time to move on

Way too young. As far as I can tell, Noggin the Nog was on the TV back in about 1965.

Post 91

Saturnine

That's more than twice my age! What/who was it?

Post 92

SEF

You can be "fantastically uncool" as well as "too young" if you want, Saturnine. smiley - winkeye

The Saga of Noggin the Nog was a (cult) TV children's animation about a king "in the lands of the north". He had a rather cool and intelligent talking bird (anyone called Draculus on h2g2?) as a side-kick as well as a ludicrously cowardly bodyguard and the obligatory potty inventor. His adventures included meeting a rather too friendly ice-dragon, travelling in a flying ship and battling with genies. Some stories were only in black and white but others were in colour. I think I have a book too somewhere. Anyhow they were released on video not that long back but your parents may have been too uncool to care about this and inform you of the importance of Oliver Postgate. All of which is probably much more than you wanted to know. smiley - smiley

Post 93

Saturnine

My Mum would have been 4 years old then. And yes, she's uncool.

Sounds kinda groovy though. Must remember to look that up one day!

smiley - oksmiley - ta

Post 94

skugga (ACE), keeper of shadows, lots of rats, no betta splendens anymore and badly drawn vampires

*lol*

My boyfriend is always quite exhausted that I am able to remember some game shows from the 70s, because he was not even born at that time... smiley - winkeye

Post 95

skugga (ACE), keeper of shadows, lots of rats, no betta splendens anymore and badly drawn vampires

*hums* Booooorn.... born in the 60's....

Post 96

Huffers, compulsive lurker

My nick comes from my surname...
and a sort of anti-catch phrase I had in my school...

It wasn't a phrase I would say, but one people would always say to me:
"Whatya sayin' Huffers?"

So... I became Huffers...

But since I've started uni nobody calls me that anymore
it's weird how nicknames come and go smiley - huh

Post 97

RMF Art Vandelay: Missing- Presumed Fed[Hero], Join DISF at A925391!

i chose mine because i am a HUGE ranma 1/2 fan, but as you can see i wish to change it... but I am indecisive...

Post 98

Some nicknames don't change... The one I am addressed with in RL didn't change since 1974... Hated it first, love it now smiley - smiley

Post 99

friendlywithteeth

I was globalbolshevik at first...mainly because it sounded good...but that offended some people..so I changed it to FwT, which is the same as my email: which I chose because it sounded good smiley - biggrin

Post 100

Hey, that was you? I still remember the name, and I was definitly not offended!

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more