A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Whats the weather doing where you are?

Post 3401

Jimcracker7[magiclink.rip gone altogether. im back.in my home from home.

hi all, smudger
-
looks like i brought the thread back to life,if not the ruddy weather.lol
-
its was sunny about 9-15am, but just gone cold and dark again, so looks like another wet day on the way ggrr.
-
june,26th, bradford, yorkshire, uk, at 9-55am, 2007smiley - peacedove jim

Post 3402

korculablue

It's the same here Jim. Summer has passed away. Washing in and out all day. Floods right up to my kitchen door Who could ask for more. smiley - wah Oops! smiley - smiley It's 6pm and there's this large yellow spherical object up in the sky. I'm off to give my washing another go at drying.

Cheers everyone korculablue smiley - ok

Post 3403

vogonpoet (AViators at A13264670)

Man those floods look bad... smiley - cheerup wet people

Here in sunny serbia, it was 39 degrees C today. Which is at other end of extreme, but not very nice...

vp

Post 3404

Smudger879n

Yea! I saw some sad pictures on the flooding last night on the net, I feel sorry for all the folk concernedsmiley - sadface

I saw that big yellow thing in the sky earlier today, so I made a cuppa, got the keys to our summer house and raced out to have a seat in the sun, but alas I was not quick enough, and it went in againsmiley - erm

I knew I should have used the electric kettlesmiley - laughsmiley - winkeye

smiley - cheersSmudger.

Post 3405

korculablue

Yes the news about Sheffield, Rotherham and Leeds is very sad. I'm lucky as our river Tees doesn't give these problems. Must admit I had a giggle Smudger at your comments. (The first today smiley - smiley) All this dashing to and fro to beat the rain should be good for the figure though and will save a fortune in gym fees. smiley - biggrin Don't get sun-burnt.

korculablue signing off

Post 3406

Pinniped

Hey Sho

You seen the pictures of the flooded Hillsborough (stadium as well as district)?

Pin (not laughing)

Post 3407

Pinniped

Wo Clive

Not so much New Orleans as Sheffield last time. The Ulley reservoir situation is reminiscent of the Dale Dyke Dam burst in 1864.

I was supposed to be meeting people in a pub in Whiston tonight, half a mile downhill from that.

Post 3408

korculablue

Hey Pinniped,
Fingers crossed that dam doesn't burst. It's a very serious situation. Hope you weren't flooded out. It seems every time we have heavy rain so many people suffer hardship.

Take care...korculablue

Post 3409

Pinniped

Thanks korculablue

Fortunately we're fairly high up and to the south. The nearest flooding is about two miles from home.

Quite a few friends with big problems, though, some with their homes and a lot more with their workplaces. No acquaintences helicoptered as far as I know, but two boated out of (separate) offices. One guy up the road came home at 4 am. He was in his car till an hour before, and it's still there as far as he knows, wheelarch deep in Attercliffe.

Post 3410

Smudger879n

Quote. "Must admit I had a giggle Smudger at your comments"
You are more than welcome, in fact have a look on my page and you will a thread full of jokes, its called "have a laugh"

Well, the sun is out here now, but its still too cold to sit outside, maybe tomorrowsmiley - ok

smiley - cheersSmudger.

Post 3411

Sho - employed again!

flamin' Norah Pin... actually I thought of you as I saw the pictures of Hillsborough! Glad to hear you're ok though.

It looked pretty bad in Attercliffe - and it must have been really really bad to have closed Meadowhall. But the most striking picture, after the water had gone down, was that one on the BBC News website of the fish. I mean... I'd never have thought, "when I were a lass" that there would be fish in the Don!

Post 3412

Pinniped

Yep, there's wildlife in and around the Don all right.
On a half-related theme, here's something my browser turned up. It's from the River Don Park business plan published by some grouping called Groundwork Sheffield in autumn 2005:

"At the heart of the Park, the River Don and Canal will be well maintained, wildlife rich waterways with high quality, mixed developments on the waterside. The current waterway corridor will be expanded to include natural riverbanks, wetlands, meadows, public space and off road routes.
New building developments will be landscaped with natural habitats such as wetlands, woodlands, meadows, and ponds. Existing businesses will be supported to contribute to and benefit from these new features.
Water will play a key role in the Park. The flood risk will be alleviated by an extended network of wetland habitats whose changing profile will become an intriguing feature of the landscape".

Sounds a bit ironic, doesn't it? An 'extended network of wetland habitats' is a pretty good description of Attercliffe right now.

Post 3413

Sho - employed again!

very ironic. And that description doesn't really bear much resemblence to what I remember of the area. Which is mostly buildings and scrubland that looks as though buildings might have been put up if they hadn't run out of money.

Post 3414

Gahariet

Back at work now, got home going around the back of meadowhall and up past meadowhall bus station. Roads are more blocked by debris and abandoned cars than water. Still no power at home.

A colleagues house is one of the bungalows in catcliffe

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/in_pictures/6240038.stm#

Waters was up to the guttering. Looks as though she's lost everything.

Post 3415

Ryan the Daemon Prince - Dealing Arms to Svalbard Since 1995

It's raining flaming dogs where I am!!! Or is that the booze talking?..
smiley - alesmiley - alesmiley - alesmiley - alesmiley - alesmiley - alesmiley - alesmiley - alesmiley - alesmiley - ale and many more smiley - alesmiley - alesmiley - alesmiley - alesmiley - alesmiley - ale...
Urrrgh...

Post 3416

Sceptical Nick - Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're NOT out to get me.

Grey, everything is grey. This makes it vry hard to tell one object from another as everything is grey.

Post 3417

Ryan the Daemon Prince - Dealing Arms to Svalbard Since 1995

smiley - hangover
I think I'm alright now...

Post 3418

korculablue

Hi everyone,
Its a fish belly sky here, or another way of putting it would be dishcloth grey, accompanied by the tedious never-ending drumming of rain on the windows.

Think I too have no option but to also indulge in...smiley - alesmiley - cakesmiley - chocsmiley - chocsmiley - choc

korculabluesmiley - erm

Post 3419

Jimcracker7[magiclink.rip gone altogether. im back.in my home from home.

hi all
-
the weather as turned to sun again, its glaring throught the front window at the moment.
-
the winds getting up a bit now.
-
16-30pm on wedneday the 27th june, in bradford yorkshire,uk, 2007smiley - peacedove jim

Post 3420

Smudger879n

Well today we had, hail stones, followed by brilliant sunshine, then rain to warm and sunny with wind, now we are back smiley - ok

Yep! we get it in one day here in Bonny Scotlandsmiley - laughsmiley - winkeye

smiley - cheers Smudger.

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more