A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Liv Tyler or George Formby

Post 3521

The Gook, a.k.a. Sir Loin of Beef, the Master-at-Arms: Thingite Armoury, and his wolf Yoink.

...Wow... I must have become extremely jaded from the websites I'm on much of the time. That post about President Bush I had certainly spotted as fodder for a flame war. Kudos to H2G2 for not being immature like fark.com! smiley - ok

Although if the President does get reelected, I will likely be eyeing the border.

Post 3522

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

Which border? The one with Canada (which barely manages to cling together in the face of secessionist moves in Quebec), or the one with Mexico (which continues to send many of its citizens North)?

Not even in the most extraordinary national emergency is Bush likely to draft me for the military. There are limits to Bush's ability to reinstate the Draft; he would need to satisfy public opinion before the elected representatives would agree to giving him the power to do so. Congress is not under tight enough Republican control to repeal the Bill of Rights (and even if it tried to, the Supreme Court would be traditionalist enough to rebuff them).

What bad things can happen to us that haven't happened before? If we are attacked, it won't be Bush that attacks us, right? Abraham Lincoln threw some Congressmen into jail, but that didn't stop Congress from surviving. He arrested the Chief Justice of the Supreme Court, but we still have a Supreme Court, and it continues to do the job it has always done. He also abolished habeas corpus, but it was ultimately reinstated. New York continues to function despite the World Trade Center atrocity.

I agree that Bush could be a danger if he gets 4 more years, but I submit that there were many who felt the same way about Abraham Lincoln, Franklin Roosevelt, even (gasp) George Washington. Let's all do our best to render Bush harmless, and then go on with our lives.
I personally thought the Ronald Reagan would be the end of the world, but I turned out to be wrong. I even benefited from some of what he did.

Anyway, large numbers of people are attending John Kerry's appearances. He still has a chance. Don't get an ulcer yet. Pray. Do whatever else you feel will get you through this. If all else fails, rent a cottage or cave in Montana so there's maximum distance between you and the crazies in Washington DC....

Post 3523

2legs - Hey, babe, take a walk on the wild side...

Vote George Formby, vote now!

Post 3524

The Gook, a.k.a. Sir Loin of Beef, the Master-at-Arms: Thingite Armoury, and his wolf Yoink.

I live in Michigan, so the Canadian border would be much more convenient. I usually only talk about that fascietiously...
I suppose I'm just not too big a fan of America's current leadership's mentality.

Post 3525

Evil Roy: Maestro of the Thingite Orchestra, Knight Errant of the Thingite Cause, Prince of Balwyniti, Aussie Researchers A59204

Latest Count

Lady Scott - 39
Liv Tyler - 37.5
George Formby - 37.5
Rolf Harris - 5
The Ukulele - 5
Nicole Kidman - 3
smiley - spork - 3
mAd_CaDeT_fIsH - 2
Nathan Lane - 2
Nighthoover - 2
Al Gore - 2
Lime Marmalade - 2
Bob the Farmer - 2
Inigo Montoya - 2
Charlemagne - 2
Johnny Depp - 2
George Foreman - 1
Will Hay - 1
The Didgeridoo - 1
Kitkat Chunky - 1
Chunky-smiley - mars-icecream - 1
Harry Lauder - 1
Kebab - 1
Carrie-Ann Moss - 1
Carey Elwes - 1
Glass of Water - 1

smiley - cheerssmiley - musicalnote

Post 3526

clzoomer- a bit woobly

*....Canada (which barely manages to cling together in the face of secessionist moves in Quebec)* Excuse me, your lack of knowledge of your neighbours is showing. You Yanks still coming along with the bilingualism plans we helped you with?

Post 3527

Lady Scott

smiley - erm How did this thread develop such politically minded topic drift? smiley - headhurts

The only politically minded stuff that's supposed to be discussed on this thread is the incredibly important question of who should play Happy Dude in SMoB: The Movie.

I suggest you tell all your friends to vote for me, so we can get this settled, once and for all! smiley - ok

Post 3528

Avenging Washcloth, An unhurried sense of time is, in itself, a form of wealth.

Exactly. smiley - ok Vote early, vote often ... but vote for Happy Dude's doppleganger.

Post 3529

Lady Scott

And by the way, I *really* miss my smiley - disco.

*sigh*

Post 3530

Avenging Washcloth, An unhurried sense of time is, in itself, a form of wealth.

What? You think you can get smiley - disco sympathy from our evil moderator, Lady Scott?

smiley - rofl

Post 3531

Lady Scott

smiley - ermI was *hoping* to get enough votes to get it back again.

Post 3532

Traveller in Time Reporting Bugs -o-o- Broken the chain of Pliny -o-o- Hired

Static Noize hissing . ' . ,
. ' . ' . , . ' . , . ,
Enhanced copy of Latest Count

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
smiley - disco Lady Scott - 39 smiley - disco
Liv Tyler - 37.5
George Formby - 37.5
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Rolf Harris - 5
The Ukulele - 5
Nicole Kidman - 3
smiley - spork - 3
mAd_CaDeT_fIsH - 2
Nathan Lane - 2
Nighthoover - 2
Al Gore - 2
Lime Marmalade - 2
Bob the Farmer - 2
Inigo Montoya - 2
Charlemagne - 2
Johnny Depp - 2
George Foreman - 1
Will Hay - 1
The Didgeridoo - 1
Kitkat Chunky - 1
Chunky- smiley - mars-icecream - 1
Harry Lauder - 1
Kebab - 1
Carrie-Ann Moss - 1
Carey Elwes - 1
Glass of Water - 1
. ' . , . ' . . ' . , , . ' . ,

Post 3533

Estelendur (AKA Esty)

Coren: I see no one's counted my vote for Lady Scott yet.

Post 3534

Coren... ya gotsta have your one UNumber to get it counted.

Post 3535

Estelendur (AKA Esty)

Coren: I KNOW but it's not FAIR! I'm a totally separate entity from Esty, I just happen to not have my own body!

Post 3536

2legs - Hey, babe, take a walk on the wild side...

Vote George Formby, Vote now!
Vote George Formby or the vibrating snail gets it!

Post 3537

Estelendur (AKA Esty)

Nope, I would just completely give up any pretense of respect for our government. I would, essentially, form my own little country around myself, a portable one. smiley - tongueout

Post 3538

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

<< I would, essentially, form my own little country around myself, a portable one>>

I might have to do that, too. smiley - erm

C. L. Zoomer seems to be pissed off, so I really *can't* go North into Canada now. A pity, really, as I was hoping to go skiing along the trans-Labrador highway this winter when the snow cover is 50 feet. smiley - tongueout

(Note: The preceding paragraph is a joke. I don't ski, and wouldn't leave Massachusetts to go skiing even if I did. And I'll go into Canada any time time I feel like it--assuming they'll let me in.)

Post 3539

Estelendur (AKA Esty)

Well, I'm halfway there (my own little country) already, so...

Post 3540

smiley - laugh

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more