A Conversation for Ask h2g2

What's The Most Embarassing Thing That's Ever Happened To You

Post 241

Argon0 (50 and feeling it - back for a bit)

I will ask my colleague when I see her next - around the 9th January!!

Post 242

a girl called Ben

Oooh s**t! I have not been particularly embarrassed about anything I posted here, with a couple of notable and noted exceptions. But the thought of the whole lot doing the rounds of the www is DEFINTITELY the MOST embarassing thing SO FAR...

smiley - blush

Looks around to see if anyone recognises me. Or worse, if anyone recognises themselves...

smiley - headhurts

smiley - run

B

Post 243

Xanatic

Hey, look at it this way. It might bring in a lot more recruits to H2G2. But I am happy I didn't talk about any of the more embarassing things or I'd be running around pressing the Linda button now.

But I imagine your name makes you fairly easy to recognise.

Post 244

GreyDesk

Its funny that we are quite happy to tell a bunch of complete strangers, but who happen to be h2g2 researchers, all about the various sexual mishaps that have befallen us. But if a different bunch of complete strangers ie the WWW find out we come over all shy.

I don't think a mug punter would understand enough about the navigation of h2g2 from this one thread to find identifying details about me. That said I am ready and prepared to crash my space if the thread winds up in an e-mail sent to my office.

On the positive side, I quite like the idea of becoming an Urban Myth smiley - biggrin

Post 245

Xanatic

Well, H2G2 people aren't your every day kind I'd say.

I was wondering if the same thing would happen to me. Since my ex-girlfriends cat really didn't like me and was in the same room. Good thing it got run over.

Post 246

GreyDesk

A lucky escape there then smiley - bigeyessmiley - laugh

Post 247

Xanatic

Oh yeah, now I'm just waiting for the same thing to happen to her.

Post 248

Chris M

smiley - smiley If enough people read it and declare it No Big Thing, then it won't be embarrassing any more (that's the theory anyway, right? smiley - erm)

A few years hence I got caught in flagrante delicto with my girlfriend of the time on her living room carpet, in the middle of the day, by my best friend peering through the window at us.

Shocked he backed off, but what really annoyed me was he didn't actually GO or anything - he just stood around, waited for us to scurry upstairs and get dressed so we could entertain him. If it weren't for that it would have been one of my happier memories, but as it is it was just smiley - blushsmiley - grr.

Post 249

Argon0 (50 and feeling it - back for a bit)

I've asked my colleague to send me the E-mail - I'll then create an article with it in....

Post 250

Freddy, Keeper Of The Word "fnar!". Back from the Underworld.

See http://www.bbc.co.uk/h2g2/guide/A586550

Post 251

Red (and a bit grey) Dog

smiley - laugh nice one Lobster-Boy [I presume it is autobiographical] smiley - winkeye

Post 252

Freddy, Keeper Of The Word "fnar!". Back from the Underworld.

Yes, I'm afraid so. Luckily it only took a couple of weeks for the tanlines to go down smiley - winkeye

Post 253

Xanatic

Hmm, this is usually how you can tell someone has been on a skiing vacation. That and the broken legs. I've always thought they looked like racoons.

Post 254

a girl called Ben

So, Argon, what's the verdict? Mail me on [email protected], and I'll decide whether or not I need to find out what's involved in deed polls!

Ben (for the time being)

Post 255

GreyDesk

Deed polls are easy. About £50 plus VAT. All you've got to say is that you aren't changing your name because the police are after you.

The best one I heard was of a bloke in dispute with his bank who changed his name to Mr. YorkshireBankPLCareabunchoffascistb*****s and then asked for his details to be updated and for a new cheque book and card smiley - smiley

Post 256

Red (and a bit grey) Dog

The only good pole is a deed pole

Ooooo - we`ve been Moderated .... must have been a beauty smiley - ok. Own up - who was it ? My money is on Greydesk smiley - winkeye

Post 257

a girl called Ben

Well, it wasn't me! smiley - whistle

Ben

Post 258

Xanatic

I'm especially bothered since it was this thread. If it was an experience worth moderation it was worth reading smiley - smiley

Post 259

Red (and a bit grey) Dog

*starts a slow handclap*

Post 260

GreyDesk

It was me what wrote the moderated entry.

It wasn't actually an embarrassing story, it was some information and an anecdote about changing one's name by deed poll.

I expect I will recieve an e-mail from the mods at some point. This one really should not have been yanked, even though it does contain the word "fascist" and the word that describes a child whose mummy and daddy are not married. If it doesn't come back soon I will appeal.

Key: Complain about this post