A Conversation for Ask h2g2

What Films have you seen recently?

Post 6461

Vestboy

A Danish film called After the Wedding.
I really enjoyed this. The main characters are a Danish man working on a humanitarian project in India, a filthy rich man in Denmark who may want to put money into the project, his wife and their daughter. There were numerous complications in the plot and information was handed out at just the right pace for a film with several twists and turns, which I found to be very enjoyable.

Post 6462

$u$

Watched about half of Twilight New Moon on TV last night. As far as I could tell, it was a film in which nothing happened. There were young guys walking around topless for most of the time, so I guess that's why it appeals to teenage girls, but otherwise it was a story without a story. smiley - erm

Post 6463

Clive the flying ostrich: Amateur Polymath | Chief Heretic.

Iago, you are a teenage girl. smiley - winkeye

Post 6464

Sol

Avengers Assemble! *bounce bounce* BANGCRASHKABOOM. That was a lot of fun.

Post 6465

HonestIago

>>Iago, you are a teenage girl.<<

I've been called worse smiley - winkeye For what its worth, the muscular and hairless look does nothing for me so the werewolf-y scenes failed to hold my interest.

Post 6466

Am going with friends to see Men in Black 3 next week.

2 was pretty dire, so here's hoping the interim has improved and matured the script and concepts.

Post 6467

Transmitter aka Tim Stevenson

Just found a you tube link to a wonderful little 1974 film called Phase IV - a smart ants vs scientists movie that was an old favourite on late night BBC2 / Channel 4 when I was a littler. It is an absolute triumph of the genre - big ideas delivered with style and edge despite a nanoscopic budget.

And here' the link...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcjBIkS-QC4

Happy days. Now, off to book IMAX Prometheus tickets.smiley - biggrin

Post 6468

PhilFogg

The David Fincher version of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo with Daniel Craig.

I know most Scandinavians out there will kill me for saying this smiley - laugh, but I thought it was even better than the Swedish version (which was excellent and I'm not generally a fan of Hollywood remakes).

Daniel Craig is turning out to be such an interesting actor. If he keeps making smart choices like this, he'll be the first Bond in history who won't be reduced to that role.

Post 6469

Beatrice

Mirror Mirror, the now obligatory remake of a fairy tale from the baddies POV, in this case, Julia Roberts as the wicked stepmother, sporting a HUUUUUUUUUGGGGGG ballgown.

The costumes and overall visual effects were very well done, though my favourite outfit was one I might try to emulate: Snow White's blue corsetty top with black palazzo pants.

I loved the dwarves, but the whole thing was just too American. I flinched at the mention of "tax dollars".

And had to restrain myself from shouting "Winter is coming!" when Sean Bean made an appearance.

Nice Bollywood song to finish.

Early bird price of £3.50 for a Saturday matinee, and we were the only group in the theatre.

Post 6470

I want to see Snow White and The Huntsman when it comes out too.

June is going to be a busy month cinema-wise.

Post 6471

Galaxy Babe - eclectic editor

Last night we watched The Three Musketeers DVD borrowed from the library. Orlando Bloom was in it, but he was an "evil" Englishman, fighting the Musketeers. Milady - well, I've been more scared of a cold cup of smiley - tea. What with the airships constructed from stolen plans from the Da Vinci vault, the French king asking the boy D'Artagnan's advice on women and the farcical ending, I am sure Alexandre Dumas was turning in his grave.

Post 6472

You can call me TC

I watched the Mark Wahlberg version of the Italian Job as it was on telly last night. That was fun, for all its faults. Great to see Ford Prefect - er, I mean Mos Def - again.

I used to think Edward Norton was a really good, subtle actor, but now I've noticed he gets lots of similar parts - the really clever, basically very evil, baddy.

Post 6473

Galaxy Babe - eclectic editor

Just in case anyone is near a TV this afternoon, there's a classic on Ch4 at 1.10pm. One Million Years BC, the original with Raquel Welch in her legendary fur bikini. Historical inaccuracies aside, I reckon this is worth a tune-in, if only for the Ray Harryhausen dinosaurs.

Post 6474

quotes

I'm not a Marvel fan, but after all the glowing recommendations, I decided to give Avengers Assemble a try. But aside from a couple of laughs, I couldn't see what all the fuss was about. It consisted largely of the sorts of scenes we've all seen before, with people hitting each other, dressed in pantomime outfits. What was the point of the army of Chitauri? They were about as much threat as a swarm of flies.

I'm clearly the only person ever to have disliked it, though.

Post 6475

Pink Paisley

Dark Shadows.

Utterly disappointing.

PP

Post 6476

You can call me TC

Among the DVD's in a rummage basket at the supermarket just now I picked up a cheap copy of "The Guard" - I've been dying to watch that. I'm quite excited.... I'll get the ironing board out later, headphones on and off I go!

Post 6477

HonestIago

The Guard is amazing. Everyone should watch it.

Post 6478

swl

I agree. Brendan Gleeson's opening scene is superb. "What a beautiful smiley - bleeping day" smiley - laughsmiley - laugh

Post 6479

You can call me TC

Just what I need to buck me up!

Post 6480

Ferrettbadger. The Renegade Master

The Guard is *soooooooooo* good. Might be my favourite film in bloody ages.

FB

Key: Complain about this post