A Conversation for Ask h2g2

How/Why did you choose your nickname?

Post 1

Spellchequer

I'm terrible at spelling, and often use a spellchecker. So I deliberately spelt spellchecker wrong for mine.
smiley - biggrin

smiley - tit

Post 2

egon

I am often told that i look like Egon from ghostbusters

Post 3

Elentari

I just thought it sounded cool.

Post 4

turvy (Fetch me my trousers Geoffrey...)

It's the name of our oldest moggy, now 15 and a half. She is grey though but there is no smiley.

turvysmiley - blackcat

Post 5

Geggs

It's my first initial, the first three letters of my surname, and an s for no good reason.

Yes, I am that dull.

Geggs

Post 6

Saturnine

Um...it's inappropriate to ask what you surname...but I can't fpr the life of me think what it might be...smiley - bigeyes

EGG?

Post 7

Saturnine

Am I drunk?

"...to ask what your surname IS.."

smiley - yikes

Post 8

Geggs

Egg is the start of my surname, yes.

If you want to know the whole of it (8 letters altogether) go looking for villages in Derbyshire.

Just off the A38.

Geggs

Post 9

abbi normal "Putting on the Ritz" with Dr Frankenstein

Mine is from "Young Frankenstein" the movie. It fits me ~~~ so many reasons! smiley - smiley I am slowing out-growing my quietsurfer identity.

Post 10

Chan-Mick le Frog

Mick is for Mickey, the name I use in daily life (even though it's not my passport one).

Chan does not indicate oriental origins but is short for changeling because I am one and look it.

le Frog is, bien sûr, because I'm Français.

smiley - elf (Mickey le changeling gaulois)

Post 11

Seamus...the forbidden

Am I drunk?

SaturEIGHTed I should think.

What do you mean nickname? Has someone blown my cover?smiley - winkeye

Seamus

Post 12

Saturnine

Hey...I like that..

Satur-eighted...

smiley - biggrin

Post 13

Gnomon - time to move on

Gnomon is a Greek word which means "the interpreter, the one that knows, the one that shows the way", which I hope describes my internet presence. Coincidentally, it is pronounced "know-mon" which is almost "know-man". The Gnomon is the part of the sundial which casts the shadow. In the most commmon type of sundial, the gnomon points directly at the North Celestial Pole, so I always point the same way as the world revolves around me! smiley - biggrin

Post 14

Demon Drawer

Mine comes from bowls it's a play on the fact that as well as being a great drawer of the bowl gently up beside the jack I also have a accurate, powerful and deadly drive (or Demon Draw as my teammates called it) which saved many a lost situation.

Post 15

abbi normal "Putting on the Ritz" with Dr Frankenstein

WOW smiley - erm what does that mean?

Post 16

sdotyam

Mine is because umm...smiley - winkeye

Post 17

Demon Drawer

Quiet surfer this may help A462269 Lawn Bowls smiley - winkeye

Post 18

AEndr, The Mad Hatter

Mine, as noted in my space, is as follows:

Ændr is one of my real life nicknames, the one I like most and the one I use most. It is the one my friends and some of my relatives know. Ændr comes from "And", one of the most commonly used words in English and also is a combination of various letters gleaned from my first and surnames. I'm left handed and if you consider a left handed android, it wouldn't have painful diodes so take them out. Contemplate the meaning of the ancient celtic word Ændr as a description of me. I also perversely like words that are hard for native English speakers to pronounce. I was actually given the nickname by a Gaelic speaking relative. Thus, a number of reasons for my nickname. To pronounce it, say "And" using a longish "a" sound such as in "car" mixed slightly with the "e" sound in "hen" and then add a slightly rolled "rrrrr" at the end, but no ending "uh" if you don't mind!

The Mad Hatter comes about because I love hats. I had uniform hats at school and at Guides, but the first hat I bought just to wear (which I lost last year sadface ) was a Lindsay Tartan Hat made by "Mad Hatters Co." I also really like the character of the Mad Hatter in Alice in Wonderland. However, I did not give myself this nickname - it was given to me by the Guides on Guide camp one year, I like the nickname, which is lucky as it stuck.

Post 19

It's my researcher number smiley - silly

Been my favourite nickname for a while...

Imagination, who needs it?

Post 20

Zak T Duck

Mine is a name I got given at Primary School as there were too many Marks, and calling me by my surname would've been to formal. It sorta stuck with me ever since as my preferred name of choice.

Key: Complain about this post