A Conversation for Ask h2g2

(The Return of) What book are you reading at this time?

Post 1841

hellboundforjoy

Where was this thread? I was on it then it disappeared and I could not find it for the longest time! smiley - weird

Well I am reading most of the same books I was reading before but I finished "The First Three Minutes" and...well I guess that's it. I started "The Best Awful" by Carrie Fisher

Post 1842

A Super Furry Animal

Good luck with "Lucky", Footbacon. It's a lot more "real" than The Lovely Bones.

A lot of people a reading about the Curious Incident...may have to pick it up mesel'.

Currently reading 31 Songs by Nick Hornby.

RFsmiley - evilgrin

Post 1843

Baconlefeets

Yeah, it's a bit gruellingsmiley - erm

I read Curous incident not longback, definetly recommend itsmiley - ok

Post 1844

gadarene

Curious is great.

Life of Pi?

Anyone else here gone and bought bananas to see if they float?

smiley - bubbly

Post 1845

a visitor to planet earth

The Far Side Of The World by Patrick O'Brian, I saw the film, which I enjoyed, but I find all Patrick O'Brian's books heavy going and difficult to read. Am I just thick or do other people have the same problem?

Post 1846

Beatrice

Just finished Curious Incident

Started on a book about imaginary numbers and the power of imagination.

Post 1847

Wulfric

Just finished The Garden of Unearthly Delights by Robert Rankin.

Now on Seahenge by Francis Pryor - all about Seahenge in Norfolk and Flagfen archaeological sites (as well as other prehistoric sites around the UK).

Post 1848

Spiffy - Always glad to see you

Just finished Hitchhikers Guide part one - it's true! smiley - biggrin

Started The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time, about an autistic boy who investigates the murder on the dog from across the street. Very good so far smiley - ok

Post 1849

gadarene

Curious Incident is very good. It made me laugh out loud, and cry in public.

I have just started Star of the Sea - not sure yet.......

But then I am only about 64 pages in!

Anyone out there read Star?

Love to all

smiley - biggrin

Post 1850

Rosemary {[(2+2+2)^2]+4+2=42}

Patrick O'Brien's good if you like naval books that only revolve round the ship. I personally prefer Alistair Kent's Bolithio novels. like O'Brien but more human interest (smiley - kiss)

Post 1851

supergrandad

Wow! haveing gone through this list do I feel childish? Naa,I have just picked up a book which at the time I did not realise the auther writes childrens books. Haveing said that if you enjoy simple fantasy stories with some nice giggles and laughs try"Muddle Earth"by Paul Stewart & Chris Riddell. The fly page reads "Prepare for a great battle between the forces of Good,Evil and sort of OK!"

Perhaps that sums up my sence of humour?smiley - biggrin

Post 1852

novadog

To kill a mocking bird, by Harper Lee. Absolutely smashing, I'm a huge fan of the film, but after reading the ending I cried like I had never seen the film. In the descripions of the town, the characters, all seen though cantankerous little Scout Finch, the book is sheer poetry. I only read it last week and already I'm re-tracing my fave passages. Could probibly quote some to you..

Post 1853

Transparanta

my favorite book from the childhood yearssmiley - smiley
right now i am reading the last book of bret easton ellis - glamorama. it is quite good and it starts resembling american psycho (in terms of murders and so on) way after the first half of the book.
i recommend it.
also - still life with woodpecker. great book. fabulous. evryone should read it.

Post 1854

Coniraya

I have justed started Morality for Beautiful Girls by Alexander McCall Smith. It is the third in the No1 Ladies Detective Agency series, set in Botswana.

I haven't quite finished White Mughals by William Dalrymple. I do wish there was a phonetic glossary in books like this as I get distracted by the Indian words and names. I want to be able to pronounce them properly, which then gets in the way of my enjoyment of the book.

Post 1855

Annie the Great

I am reading 1633, by David Weber and Eric Flint.
Alternative history, with a twist!

Anniesmiley - smiley

Post 1856

novadog

I've just finished Vernon God Little by DBC Pierre. Makes a rather good point, about this disposible media culture we have and being ashamed of our own bodily functions. Also, it makes the rather astute point of how the truth does not present itself, it's existance has to be proved, which is why I thought it was such a difficult read at times.

Post 1857

Little Mischief

Just started Portrait of a Lady, can't remember who wrote it. Still reading Triggerfish Twist as well.

As for pronouncing unfamiliar words in books, audiobooks are an easy remedy and can usually be borrowed from the library. smiley - smiley

Post 1858

Baconlefeets

I'm just coming to the end of Lucky (Alice Sebold) and i bought Life of Pi other day, after seeing someone recomend it on heresmiley - bigeyes

Post 1859

A Super Furry Animal

I definitely recommend Life Of Pi. What did you think of Lucky?

RFsmiley - evilgrin

Post 1860

Baconlefeets

Recommend it! It's gruelling, really throws you in at the deep end in the beginning, but shows you how strong someone can be in a situation like that

Key: Complain about this post