A Conversation for Ask h2g2

(The Return of) What book are you reading at this time?

Post 1901

Spaceechik, Typomancer

I'm reading two books on science right now: "Mind Over Matter" by K.C. Cole, a science columnist (a collection of her columns from the Los Angeles Times and the New Yorker).

and "Universe on a T-Shirt" by Dan Falk (another science writer) about the search for a unified field theory.

I must really be trying to get away from my problems in RL! smiley - laugh

smiley - scientist -- NOT!

SC

Post 1902

Sho - employed again!

I like Janet Evanovich - the Stephanie Plum novels at least. So I tried one by her and Charlotte Hughes (Full Blast) and I'm wishing I'd saved my €9.
pah!

Post 1903

couscat

i'm reading "the Russia House" by le Carre atm. I read them all before but I have memory problems so I get to read them again now as if for the first time. Just finished the trilogy (tinker tailor etc).
CC

Post 1904

A Super Furry Animal

Just nearing the end of Carter Beats The Devil, by Glen David Gold. It's...er...magic!

RFsmiley - evilgrin

Post 1905

Emily 'Twa Bui' Ultramarine

I am reading 'American Psycho' for pleasure (again), and the English poems of John Donne, because the evil university is making me.

Post 1906

Baconlefeets

I'm about half way through iain banks espedair street (recommded by reddyfreddy & luckystarsmiley - biggrin) really liking it! Can't wait to start my next Banks book!

Post 1907

Ged42

I'm currently reading the Earthsea Quartet by Ursula Le Guin. (its her four Wizard of Earthsea stories in one book) smiley - wizard

I'm reading it, after being ordered to by a number of hootooers, because my nickname is the same as the lead characters, (purely by coincidence)

Post 1908

Researcher 740739

I'm reading Last Chance to See - it's the only Douglas Adams book I haven't read. It's everything you would expect from a DNA book about travelling the world looking for endangered species.

Post 1909

Baconlefeets

I've not read that one yetsmiley - erm Though i've not read the Dirk Gently books, not sure wheteher or not to try one thoughsmiley - erm

I might buy the last chance to see book off amazon when i finish espedair street thoughsmiley - smiley

Post 1910

MuseSusan

I want to read that book!

Just finished The Black Tulip by Alexander Dumas, now reading Ray Bradbury's The October Country.

Post 1911

Spaceechik, Typomancer

Sho said, about Janet Evanovich: "So I tried one by her and Charlotte Hughes (Full Blast) and I'm wishing I'd saved my €9.
pah!"

Maybe we should start a new thread: "Books which are a crime against Trees!" smiley - evilgrin

Don't bother with any of that "Full..." series by JE and her pal -- they're ALL rubbish!

Agree about the Stephanie Plum novels, though! GREAT reads, all of them. Hope she comes to her senses and writes some more! There's so much we still don't know.... smiley - smiley

Post 1912

Narapoia

The Dirk Gently's are wonderful. If you don't attune quickly to the DNA quirkiness you may get impatient with it, but it is worth persevering.
I've just finished the Amin Maalouf I last mentioned and can't decide on what next, having blown a small fortune at a certain bookshop on 3 for 2 offers...probably the Curious Incident..., but possible Vernon God Little, or the Wee Free Men. Terrible thing, choice.

Post 1913

MuseSusan

If you enjoy Dirk Gently, I highly recommend The Salmon of Doubt. It's a collection of DNA's last writings, but it ends with the unfinished novel of the same title. I warn you, though: it just keeps getting better and better and better until it just STOPS. It's still driving me crazy.

Post 1914

dkwanderer

I'm reading 2 books at the moment.....

Finishing off LOTR - Return of the King. After reading the first two books in 2 weeks its taken me ages to finish the last book for various reasons...mostly because i've seen the movies now.

Hitchhiker - A biography of Douglas Adams

oh, and if you havent read the dirk gently books i highly recommend them
(Douglas' portrayal of Thor is a crackup! smiley - laugh)

smiley - cheers

Post 1915

MuseSusan

There's a biography of Douglas Adams?!?!?!? I WANT IT!

Post 1916

couscat

There are several. I just read "Wish you were here" by Nick Web (I think), it was pretty good.
CC

Post 1917

Researcher 740739

Well I've now finished Last Chance To See and cannot recommend it highly enough (if that makes sense). Today I saw Terry Pratchett's The Unadulterated Cat on a second hand book stall in the market and couldn't put it down untill I finished it - it's hillarious. It will make complete sense to anyone with a knowledge of Real cats. I think Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency is an amazing book - I love the way you have to read it again to notice all the little details that link into the plot in some small way, due to the fundamental interconnectedness of it all, of course.

Post 1918

MuseSusan

Is the Terry Pratchett book still in print? It sounds good.

Post 1919

Researcher 740739

Not sure, I haven't seen it in bookshops, (hence picking it up in the market) but it looks pretty new to me. My sister has gone camping and left this morning and appears to have nicked it, otherwise I'd tell you when it was printed.

Post 1920

Annie the Great

I am reading Snare, by Katherine Kerr, at home and A shadow on the Glass, by Ian Irvine, everywhere else.
2 books set in entirely different fantasy worlds but with similar themes of growing up and working out where you fit in.smiley - smiley

Anniesmiley - smiley

Key: Complain about this post