A Conversation for Ask h2g2

(The Return of) What book are you reading at this time?

Post 1921

A Super Furry Animal

Oryx And Crake, by Margaret Atwood.

RFsmiley - evilgrin

Post 1922

hellboundforjoy

A while back I bought a little wire bound book called "Books to Check Out, A Journal" It's cover lookes like an old library card. Inside it has three sections, "Books to Read", "Favorite Books/Passages" and "Books Borrowed/Lent". Each section is full of blank lined and divided pages. I thought of this cause I was reminded here that I want to read "Oryx and Crake" and keep forgetting to write that down. I often see things on this thread that I want to read and don't think to write them down. smiley - doh

I have put on hold the list of books I was reading and not finishing for now. Now I am halfway through "The Golden Compas" and I just started "Pride and Prejudice" which I had somehow never gotten around to reading before now.smiley - smiley

Post 1923

Spaceechik, Typomancer

HBFJ said, "I often see things on this thread that I want to read and don't think to write them down. "

This made me think of something I seem to do from time to time.

Am I the only one who goes in to a bookstore and has brain freeze when I try to remember what book I went in there for?? smiley - groan

I DO have a list; trouble is, I need to remember to bring it!

SC

Post 1924

Blackberry Cat , if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque

Still ploughing my way through Hitler and Stalin: Parallel Lives which was a christmas present. Trouble is every time I go in a bookshop or library I leave with several easier reads.

Post 1925

hellboundforjoy

"Am I the only one who goes in to a bookstore and has brain freeze when I try to remember what book I went in there for??"

No,that happens to me all the time. Same thing when I go into record stores.

Post 1926

Researcher 740739

I tend to stand around in record shops looking at all the records I'd buy if I stopped spending my cash on going to Swindon. Anyway, this week I read When the Wind Blows, by James Patterson, as well as those already mentioned. I haven't done much revision considering I have seven or eight exams next week.

Post 1927

Spaceechik, Typomancer

HBFJ said: "No,that happens to me all the time. Same thing when I go into record stores."

Thank God, I'm not the only one!

Books....Yum!! smiley - biggrin

SC

Post 1928

Baconlefeets

Paulo Coelho, The Alchemist

Le Morte d'Arthur and Salmon of Doubt

Post 1929

Barry (ask me about the Disneyland Resort)

Since purchasing my iPAQ I generally read both a public domain eBook and a pBook.

smiley - jester_Le Morte D'Arthur_ by Thomas Mallory (eBook):I've read several versions of the King Arthur legend and thought I would try the original. We'll see how far I get.

smiley - fish_Salmon of Doubt_ by Douglas Adams (pBook): My wife got me this (along with the H2G2 DVD set) for our 25th wedding anniversary. I find it both interesting and entertaining (even if when I don't agree with Adams).

Post 1930

a visitor to planet earth

The Highway Code.

Post 1931

couscat

today was the bookfest here so i got about 40 second hand books
don't know which one to read first!smiley - erm
CC

Post 1932

hellboundforjoy

"i got about 40 second hand books" smiley - yikes

I'm reading "The Amber Spyglass" now.

Post 1933

Annie the Great

I bought Phillip Pullman's trilogy, as a boxed set, for Au$49.99 from Angus & Robertson today. They were the only books that I have paid full-price for lately. I also got two Sara Douglass books, 'The Nameless Day' and 'The Wounded Hawk', from the The Crucible' trilogy for $4.99 each and Micheal Palin's, 'Sahara' for $9.99.
I bought all these today and I got three other books yesterday.

Anniesmiley - smiley

Post 1934

Sho - employed again!

finished Chocolat - totally fab. But I'm glad I saw the film first, because it would have been a disappointment otherwise.

Now reading Bridget Jones' Diary (sorry, I'm not going to write Jones's. Not ever) and after that will read the Bill Bryson thing - what is it? A Short History of Nearly Everything.

And still plugging away at the Silmarillion. Losing track of the smiley - elf again. which is annoying. Is there anything more annoying than that?

Post 1935

Little Mischief

"(sorry, I'm not going to write Jones's. Not ever)" -- except for just there smiley - winkeye

Currently reading Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister by Gregory Maguire which I mistakenly thought was the first book, but apparently the Wicked Witch one was. I'm assuming they're not related stories so it shouldn't make any difference. It's a slow-starter though.

Also reading Charlie Bone and the Time Twister because my mother is an elementary librarian and keeps passing along childrens books; it's okay, and entertaining enough, but I'm having trouble reading it and not comparing it to Harry Potter and it falls tremendously short. It seems to be written for a younger audience than Potter even though the characters are the same ages. Maybe I'll have my son read a Charlie Bone and see what he thinks.

And Hbfj and SC, definitely not alone, in either respect. I started keeping a list of books I want to read in my journal, trouble is I never seem to have my computer with me when I'm in the shop smiley - winkeye But I'm constantly finding papers that I've written various titles on and saying 'Oh, yeah, I was going to read that' and promptly losing the paper again.

Post 1936

Barry (ask me about the Disneyland Resort)

I tried reading _Wicked_ and put it down after getting about 1/3 of the way through. The premise was interesting but the execution creeped me out. Philip Jose Farmer did it better in _A Barnstormer in Oz_ (a fictional biography of Dorothy Gale) and _Tarzan Alive_ (a fictional biography of Tarzan). Both are definitely for adults (as is _Wicked_).

I had the same problem with reading lists (and smiley - bubbly wine lists) until I purchased my iPAQ PDA. Now I can always write and refer to my notes wherever I am.

Memory and the art of book buying

Post 1937

Spaceechik, Typomancer

Little Mischief, I know what you mean by the little bits of paper!

I used to listen to National Public Radio all day at work, and I'd make these tiny little notes to myself on sticky notes after hearing the authors interviewed. Yup, you guessed it, all lost!! smiley - sadface

I use my spreadsheet program at home to keep track of books to look for (off the sticky notes I DIDN'T lose, and up to about 3 1/2 pages now!), trouble is, I never remember to take the darn thing with me to the bookstore!!

Argghhhh terminal !

SC

Post 1938

Sho - employed again!

Done with Bridget Jones and her Amazing Diary - I'd forgottne that both Hugh Grant and the BBC Pride and Predjudice thing were mentioned in it.

Now about to begin the Bryson History of Everything book. Whilst slogging along with The Silmarillion.

Post 1939

Little Mischief

Tick Tock by Dean Koontz
Been awhile since I read a Koontz; I'd forgotten just how creepy he is.

Post 1940

A Super Furry Animal

Vernon God Little, by DBC Pierre. About halfway through, and so far it's pretty good. But how and where will it end?

RFsmiley - evilgrin

Key: Complain about this post