A Conversation for Ask h2g2

(The Return of) What book are you reading at this time?

Post 1801

Teuchter

Just finished "Widow for a Year" by John Irving.
Enjoyable - but I didn't find it 'comic' as described on the jacket.

For Sharpe fans - W'stones have the entire series of paperbacks on three-for-two until the end of April.

Post 1802

aka Bel - A87832164

A typical Irving, I'd say. I did enjoy it toosmiley - smiley

Post 1803

Spiffy - Always glad to see you

Right in the middle of 'The best of British SF 1', edited by Mike Ashley. It's a collection of short stories.

Current story: 'Jupiter Five' by Arthur C. Clarke, written in 1953
I love old SF! smiley - biggrin

Post 1804

Ridiculous Chicken† - a very absurd little bird

Just finished "The Finishing School" by Muriel Spark - read it twice in a week and it's fantastic! smiley - smiley

Post 1805

Vestboy II not playing the Telegram Game at U726319

Just reread "A Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovitch." I could reread it over and over.

Post 1806

gadarene

"Making Love: A conspiracy of the heart" - Interesting as the narrator is the book.
"The curious incident of the dog in th nighttime" Written from the point of view of an autistic boy. Very very funny, and very sad by turns.

And thirdly (and cunning hidden by the dust jacket of the latter previously mentioned books)the Paul McKenna change your life in 7 days book.......Which is funny, if you know what the cover of "Making Love: A conspiracy of the heart" looks like.

Oh, and HHGTTG - again.

smiley - bubbly
Cheers all.

Post 1807

Teuchter

Just started "Lucia, Lucia" by Adriana Trigiani. Only a few pages into it as yet but hve high hopes that it will be as good as her other stuff.

Am intrigued by "The Curious Incident of a Dog in the Night-time" - heard it reviewed on the radio a few months ago so good to have another recommendation. Will watch out for it in paper-back.

Post 1808

Little Mischief

The Queen's Fool by Philippa Gregory... sucked me right in.

Post 1809

Sho - employed again!

Teuchter! I smiley - love you!! I've just despatched my smiley - chef to UK with instructions to bring me the next 2 books!! I'll call him and deliver appropriate instructions!

Just started Hitchhikers, which had mysteriously disappeared - only to return on Thursday in a padded envelope postmarked in the States. smiley - yikes

smiley - biggrin

Post 1810

Teuchter

Has HHGTTG been off doing its own research round the smiley - earth? smiley - smiley

Post 1811

Sho - employed again!

apparently it's been in Florida. But I haven't finished with Sharpe's Sword yet, so it will have to wait.

oh, I managed to say that without sniggering.

we need a , don't we?

Post 1812

Teuchter

Definitely - either that or an Innuendo Alert Symbol smiley - biggrin

Post 1813

Teuchter

*wanders back into thread with mop and bucket to tidy up the smiley - drool caused by thinking about Sharpe's Sword

Post 1814

Sho - employed again!

sorry, all, completely off topic, but Teuchter... have you considered the smiley - drool thread at all?

Post 1815

The Theory

Dead Man's Folly by Agatha Christie

Christie is the main thing I've been reading the past few weeks.

Post 1816

Wulfric

The Lost Civilisations of the Stone Age by Richard Rudgley - fascinating look at how civilisation started in the Neolithic and Mesolithic area (including the world's oldest known pottery from the Jomon Culture of Japan some 13,000 years ago) and what we actually mean by civilisation.

The Garden of Unearthly Delights by Robert Rankin.

80 Not Out - Patrick Moore's autobiograpyhy.

Post 1817

Metal Chicken

20 years after I first bought the book, I've finally managed to read to the end of Tolkien's "Silmarillion". Some good tales buried in there, although I still found the timelines of most of it to be so compressed there was nothing left but strings of names.

Now set for some lighter reading. I got Jasper Fforde's "Well of Lost Plots" for my birthday, plus a book of SF novellas along the theme of cities (written by reknowned authors including China Mieville and Michael Moorcock).

Post 1818

Wulfric

Also reading "Ginger Geezer" the Life of Vivian Stanshall by Chris Welch.

Fascinating.

Post 1819

Saturnine

Poppy Z. Brite's new book - "Liquor"

Unlike her first three books, she's now writing in a different genre. If you like food, especially New Orleans food, this is definitely the book for you. I'm loving it - she's a fantastic writer.

smiley - smiley

Post 1820

Sho - employed again!

smiley - applause to Metal Chicken.

I'm starting that again when I've finished Return of the King. Which isn't going to be any time soon since i appear to be 4 books into the 20 book Sharpe thingy...

smiley - smiley

Key: Complain about this post