h2g2 Post 08.12.05

2 Conversations


Posted: 8th December 2005

Just over six years ago a new venture by the h2g2 Community began. The seedling, germinated a couple of months before by Vegiman, had finally sprouted. The shoots and buds, handily assembled offsite on pages set up by Pastey, burst into full bloom and The Post was finally up and running.

It has survived through the sad times and the good. It struggled to find the right words when confronted by the death of DNA, the atrocity of 9/11, the tsunami in the Indian Ocean, the earthquake in Asia and the London bombings. It moved onto 'h2g2.com' proper then had to gently tick over during Rupert before frenetic work behind the scenes prior to the relaunch of h2g2 as a BBC site meant that at least a few familiar pages would greet the returning hoards. It has also celebrated, campaigned and partied with everyone else and been represented at more than a few h2g2 Meets - official and otherwise.

So, after all this time, is there still a place on h2g2 for The Post? Has it been overshadowed by The Underguide? I prefer to think that we run as complementary outlets for those facets of h2g2 which do not quite fit into The Edited Guide. Creativity is just as much a part of this community as factual writings and The Post is always happy to welcome new contributors to its fold.

So, let us raise a glass to The Post and wish it well for the future! smiley - bubbly


ShazzPRME (Emeritus)

Submissions for the next issue (22th December) are due into the Post Box by midnight GMT on Sunday, 18th December. Enjoy this week's edition of The Post!


 

 
CARTOONS

 

 

 

 
FICTION

 

 

  • The h2g2 Poem

  • 'The Marionette' by Titania: the tale of an amazing performer.


 

 
REGULARS

 

 

 

 
FEATURES

 

 

  • Doctor Who and Mencap

  • Fireproofraven relates an interesting tale about Christopher Eccleston and the organisation Mencap.


  • Tributary

  • Pinniped does justice to the memory of a special friend.


 

 
h2g2 NEWS

 

 

  • The

    Post

    Office


The home of the h2g2 Post team


Back Issue Page

The Post Office

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A5749220

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Credits

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more